• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NYC MTM: Mr. Neds vs SuitSupply vs ...

soundsgood

Reaction score
I've got about 1k to spend on a suit and I live in Brooklyn. From years of swimming my chest is large and my shoulders are further back so the lapels always buckle when I try something rtw. So far I've heard good things about Mr Neds and Suitsupply, and they both seem to be in the same price range. Any opinions on which is better or are there others that I'm not taking into account? I don't know too much about suits other than if it seems to fit or not. Thanks.

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score
I would try Izzy at LS Men's Clothing over Suitsupply. I think that Mr. Ned or LS are your best bet in that price range. Given your body shape, I think you are quite right to go MTM or bespoke. Manton has a good chapter on how to best dress this body type in THE SUIT.

With Mr. Ned, thanks to the multiple fittings, the fit will be very good. Because it's semi-bespoke, you may or may not like the silhouette Varham makes out of your instructions. It's often said here that Mr. Ned tends to cut a boxy coat, and I think there's some truth to this where the coat's fronts are concerned. Be sure to ask for open quarters/cut away fronts if that's what you want. Look carefully at this part of the coat at the first fitting, and ask him to cut away more of the fronts if you'd like more open quarters.

With Izzy, because it's MTM, the fit will not be quite as good as Mr Ned, though it will be much better than how RTW fits you. However, you'll know what silhouette you're getting.

msart84

Reaction score
You should definitely go to suitsupply first and check it out. If you admit that you do not know much about suits, many of the intricacies that you pay for when you go bespoke will be missed on you.

I was very skeptical of suitsupply until I stopped in recently. Much nicer than I imagined it being, and I have gone bespoke before. You will likely find it to be great compared to your expectations. I was an athlete my whole life as well (until recently) and have broad shoulders, yet it still fit well. If it doesn't fit at all, than you should check out Mr. Ned.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads