• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nose Hair Trimmers: Yay or Nay?

2sweet

Reaction score
I got so sick of yanking them from my nose with the concomitant watering of the eyes and pain, that I bought a nose hair trimmer:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-ER42...0119644&sr=8-1

However, this wiki claims I should not:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosehairs

Shaving is so much more esthetically pleasing, and I breathe so much better, I doubt that my health is at stake here.

Lindsay Lohan and some other celebs appear to have simply removed theirs altogether via laser treatment:

http://www.jonmega.com/gallery/celeb...geViewsIndex=1

Am I splitting hairs?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That wiki is lacking expert sources and doesn't make much sense anyway. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Nose hair serves a purpose but when you use a trimmer, manual or electric, you're not shaving all of it, just the most visable parts (unless you're really going to town).

I trim with an electric trimmer, some cheap Remington I picked up at Target for under $10. Works pretty good for me and takes about a minute or two. Sometimes it pulls a hair (ouch), but for the most part it's painless.

You really only need to trim about once a week and that's not enough of a hassle to go out and get laser treatments.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer trimming nasal hairs. There is probably no pain in the world worse than having your nostrils waxed.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only trim any hairs that come out of my nose. I actually use the sideburn trimmer on my electric shaver, lift up my nose, and trim anything that's sticking out.

That way, everything stays good on the inside, nothing is sticking out for people to see and there is no pain. Pain = bad.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find the little battery powered trimmers work the best. Although, having them removed permanently would be appealing if ever given the oppoertunity. Nose "stubble" is only slightly better than nose hairs, IMO.

emperor3d

Reaction score
Even if you trim your nose hairs, there are enough folicles to do its natural process -- filtering air as you breathe.

I use a trimmer. Nose hair is ghastly.

2sweet

Reaction score
No, seriously, I truly went to town. I removed as much as I could. There's a little bit left, but I literally tried to remove all of it and was darn near successful. All that's visible is a tiny bit of stubble. deep in the recesses.

I'm not sure why this is so important enough for me to post. I literally felt like a new man after my thorough nostril shaving.

Originally Posted by JoeWoah
That wiki is lacking expert sources and doesn't make much sense anyway. I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

Nose hair serves a purpose but when you use a trimmer, manual or electric, you're not shaving all of it, just the most visable parts (unless you're really going to town).

I trim with an electric trimmer, some cheap Remington I picked up at Target for under $10. Works pretty good for me and takes about a minute or two. Sometimes it pulls a hair (ouch), but for the most part it's painless.

You really only need to trim about once a week and that's not enough of a hassle to go out and get laser treatments.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use a cheap trimmer I never realized how much the nose hairs bothered me by creating a constant tickling sensation in my nose until I trimmed them... and man is it fun to do!

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I only trim any hairs that come out of my nose. I actually use the sideburn trimmer on my electric shaver, lift up my nose, and trim anything that's sticking out.

That way, everything stays good on the inside, nothing is sticking out for people to see and there is no pain. Pain = bad.

A sideburn trimmer is actually what I use. I trim hair that sticks out and that is within reach of the blade. No pain. Actual nose hair trimmers had a tendency to pull my hair very painfully.

bkk

Reaction score
I have that Panasonic that you linked to. It does a great job and doesn't pull on my nose hairs like other cheap trimmers do. Yes, I've been through 3 other cheap ones before I plunked down some money (a whole $25 I think!) and upgraded.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the Sharper Image version ... the Turbo-Groomer I think it's called. It's about the same prices as the Panasonic.

I've used it for quite a few years ... and without a problem.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
I have the Sharper Image version ... the Turbo-Groomer I think it's called. It's about the same prices as the Panasonic.

I've used it for quite a few years ... and without a problem.

I bought the Sharper Image turbo version but it often pulled the hair, painfully. I now use a sideburn trimmer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads