• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Noob needs help

hubbstar

Reaction score
Hey all - new to the forum. Â I am intrigued by everyone's success with shopping on eBay. Â Basically, I love fine clothing but am too cheap / can't afford to pay retail for it. I'd be interested to get some advice on how to start out on eBay. Â I'm computer savvy, that's not the issue. Â It's the fact that eBay is HUGE, and I'm not completely sure what I'm looking for (brands, sizes, styles, etc). Â Do you recommend going shopping in B&M stores to find brands, styles, etc. and then looking on eBay for the same thing? Â Do you go by seller rating to determine if the item is legit? It just seems a bit daunting to shop for clothes on eBay, so I'm interested in any advice or tips any of you all might be willing to share. Â I did a search but couldn't find anything. Â Pardon me if this is a stupid question. Â
blush.gif
Thanks in advance.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Newbies should beware on Ebay, I think. I would go to a high end Bricks and Mortar and at least try on high end pieces like Barbera, Ralph Lauren Purple Label, Oxxford, Zegna, etc. Get a sense of your size and what styles you like. If you go Ebay -- which I recommend to anyone who has enough basic knowledge of fabrics, styling, and sizing -- I would recommend first going with something basic, like a sweater or wool trousers, that are new with tags. Sweaters are pretty easy in terms of sizing -- I'm a medium in virtually every maker, and less can go wrong in my opinion with a sweater as opposed to a shirt (which can be too baggy, or have sleeves slightly too short/long), and are less expensive than a suit (where sizing and styling knowledge is even more important). With trousers, as long as you know the waist size, the rise, and the cuff openining circumfrence, you are pretty good to go. Sellers can get you these measurements easily if they are not listed on the auction. Purple Label is pretty easy to find new with tags for about 1/3 retail price, which isn't bad. I picked up a cotton mock neck cardigan zip up in navy blue from RLPL for $60 last week and I'm wearing it right now. In the end, you'll forget the price you paid for high quality new with tags staple pieces. $150 for NWT Purple Label wool flannel trousers is much better (and will leave you much happier), then buying a similar product from Banana Republic for $75.

hubbstar

Reaction score
Interesting - makes sense, thanks.  I'm kind of out of it when it comes to brands and high-end clothing.  Looks like I need to do quite a bit of legwork before I venture to the online world.  I work quite a bit, and as such, I don't have much time for shopping.  I will go try some things on, get a feel for my fit in different labels and start learning more about this.

Also, any advice for suits?  Could use another, but don't want to spend too much.  All of the suits I own now were $350 or less (got them on sale at Nordstrom's).  I know, I am cheap but right now that's all I can do.  Thanks.

jasonpraxis

Reaction score
Aren't you afraid that you may be purchasing fake RLPL clothing? I am sure anything RL is faked out there. How can you guard against fakes?
Aside from checking their feedback, I've found that the best way to find reputable sellers is to search the archives here (and at AAAC, if you happen to be there) and keep an eye out for the occasional "Is [seller x] any good?" posts. Exercise common sense; if a RLPL suit is going for $3 from a new eBay member in a country known for producing fake items, it might be wise to hesitate.

Buyers also have the opportunity of being able to do business with a number of SF members, both via eBay and other websites. I strongly recommend this avenue once you feel comfortable with your own body of knowledge. I'm sure that any number of us can recommend some fellow travellers who are worth your time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads