• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No more CJs from P. LAL

Tomboys

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jamesbond
Crap! Wanted to buy a pair of suede belgraves soon. There close to $600.00 on pediwear and i doubt they will price match now that this news has broke.

The cost from Plal (with shipping) works out to @ $470.00 USD. If you look further, you'll see that Pediwear is only charging @ 326.10 GBP because since the shoes are leaving the country (theirs), you get to subtract off the VAT which is @ 13.04% of the price. So, the net is @ 326.10 GBP (@ $521.76 USD)

Originally Posted by aj_del
^^ Belgrave in both suede and calf is 319 GBP (~507 USD) including worldwide shipping from Bodiley's

This is probably the best price I've seen because it includes shipping. Most places (including the C&J retail stores) charge @ 30.00 GBP to ship it (@ $48.00 USD) internationally.

Chris - NZ

Reaction score
I don't want to ruffle a few feathers since I know P.Lal is highly rated here but I've recently received my newly purchased pair of black Selbourne and the insole of the left shoe has come unstuck. It was as if that particular area did not have enough glue in it. Also, there were some minor marks which made the whole experience less than memorable - I wonder if any members have experienced similar issues. Sorry if I'm off topic.

ccffm1

Reaction score
I have this feeling that Bodiley´s, Pediwear et al. will keep their C&J distribution. P.Lal must have cost some online distributors quite a bit of money, e.g. Pediwear with their price matching pledge. I could easily imagine they were starting to get pretty miffed and complained to C&J.

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by srivats
Bad news ...

next dist - EG perhaps?

If memory serves they have tried to get an EG dist before, with little (i.e. no) success.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
so should i buy the brown belgraves i've been umming and arring over right now or are we all waiting for this to blow over. C&J sent me a booklet with all their styles to order directly from their store.

upnorth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris - NZ
I don't want to ruffle a few feathers since I know P.Lal is highly rated here but I've recently received my newly purchased pair of black Selbourne and the insole of the left shoe has come unstuck. It was as if that particular area did not have enough glue in it. Also, there were some minor marks which made the whole experience less than memorable - I wonder if any members have experienced similar issues. Sorry if I'm off topic.

Don't know what you mean by marks but C&J has been known to let shoes that considered seconds be sold as first rate quality. I know several people who have had minor problems with their C&J purchases, and to be fair, not just from PLAL.

I'm sure many would be upset by this move but it probably means that they will be merging their catalogs and with the new store opening, it would mean selections similar to the French shops will now be available in NY. I'm sure that there will put a more conscientious effort in ensuring quality is right now that they don't have to rush orders to fulfil discounted internet purchases. Whether or not cutting off distributorships is shooting themselves in the foot remains to be seen.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccffm1
If memory serves they have tried to get an EG dist before, with little (i.e. no) success.

I think they had posted the exchanges they had with EG re opening an account with them. As for losing C&J, it is very unfortunate; the Doshis are good peeps and I had a great experience purchasing from them. Perhaps they should look into Alfred Sargent's eventual new offerings...

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, it makes sense. There's no reason for CJ to allow a single stockist to sell shoes about $100 cheaper than anyone else. All the other dealers would complain, and I am sure they did.

Sad for us, though.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Honestly, it makes sense. There's no reason for CJ to allow a single stockist to sell shoes about $100 cheaper than anyone else. All the other dealers would complain, and I am sure they did.

Sad for us, though.

It does make sense, but I think P.Lal deserves props for passing along savings to their customers. The Doshis had explained that they were able to price C&Js lower than UK and North American retailers because Malaysia does not have hefty duty fees on the import of leather goods. As such, they pay less for the shoes, are probably able to maintain the same profit as other retailers all while selling at a reduced price to the end consumer. C&J moved some shoes thanks to them, P.Lal made money and we paid less. It was all good for everyone except other retailers.

Keep in mind that some members still preferred to order from Pediwear since they price match. So you can't say that they lost all C&J sales to P.Lal, but certainly that they made less money on more than a few pairs sold.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow...makes me feel very lucky I got off ****** and snagged those brown Audleys a few weeks ago. Great service, great shoes, quick shipping and, at $445 total to my front door, makes me wonder if I shouldn't try to order some more before the doors close...

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yes.
decisions.gif

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Spark
Wow...makes me feel very lucky I got off ****** and snagged those brown Audleys a few weeks ago. Great service, great shoes, quick shipping and, at $445 total to my front door, makes me wonder if I shouldn't try to order some more before the doors close...

Could you tell me how much did they charge for shipping ? Currently the Audley is 1500 MYR and I think it is 175 MYR shipping so a total of 1675 MYR which works to be 487 USD. At the current exchange rates the Audley costs 436 without shipping.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure... Here is what they e-mailed me regarding shipping options:

"we provide free shipping to USA via airmail parcel post and it takes 8-12 days to reach. A faster EMS Poslaju Courier costs a subsidized M$100-00 and takes 5-6 days. Please note that some credit card issuers may charge 3% - 4% on top of that amount."

I wasn't in a rush, so I went with the free option - took about a week to reach the West Coast.

Other points to note:

"Insurance: As a safeguard, there is now a sum of M$10-00 to M$23-00 payable to insure each pair of shoes."

"Duty-free: Duty-free means that our low prices are based on our duty-free cost as the importing of leather shoes into our country is exempted from duty.."

So, with the insurance + free shipping, the total nut was $445 for a pair of handgrades...or $100 more than a pair of Peal/CJ benchgrades on sale at Brooks.

Hope this helps...

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris - NZ

Originally Posted by upnorth
Don't know what you mean by marks but C&J has been known to let shoes that considered seconds be sold as first rate quality. I know several people who have had minor problems with their C&J purchases, and to be fair, not just from PLAL.

I'm sure many would be upset by this move but it probably means that they will be merging their catalogs and with the new store opening, it would mean selections similar to the French shops will now be available in NY. I'm sure that there will put a more conscientious effort in ensuring quality is right now that they don't have to rush orders to fulfil discounted internet purchases. Whether or not cutting off distributorships is shooting themselves in the foot remains to be seen.

I bought a pair of Tan Cliffords from P.Lal a couple of years ago. Great cutomer service, but I recall when I received them, the edges of the sole were scuffed noticeably that I had to dress them myself so they look new. I don't think it was P.Lal's fault, but a cursory inspection before they shipped would have revealed they did not look "brand new," and I informed them of the issue. Of course all I could really do was accept the sincere apologies. But it's going to happen when you're ordering from halfway around the world and at a considerable discount.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
I had enquired from C & J about their distributors in Asia as I am from India and travel regularly in Asia. This is the reply I got from C & J on Sept 14 Dear Mr Jain Thank you for your e-mail, do made for United Arrows, Isitan, Trading post in Japan but have no stockists in Asia. We can dispatch shoes to you directly and send to you our new Mail Order Catalogue, please forward your full postal address. If however you know the styles that you would like you may e-mail, fax or phone your order and credit card details to our Royal Exchange store. Please be sure to include the credit card expiry date, billing address and the last three digits form the number on the back of the card. This will help us to promptly forward your order to you. Any questions you have can be e-mailed, phoned 020 7929 2111 or faxed 020 7929 0110 to myself at Royal Exchange. Thank you. HUQSTABLE MANAGER (Crockett & Jones, 25 Royal Exchange) I was a little surprised with the reply but did not think much of it. I have not purchased from P.lal but have purchased from Bodiley's and wonder what will be the fate of Bodiley's.
I know for sure that the original shinsaegae department store in south korea stocks crockett and jones. At **** prices sure, but i've seen the shoes in person. they definitely have them and there's been no word that the distribution is about to be shut down. not sure what's going on.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanjida191