• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No clothing purchases: MAY edition

selbsttatig

Reaction score
I've got a trench that should be arriving right about the middle of May.

I'm planning on buying some various little things this month though. I'm also thinking about buying a nice coffee grinder and possibly some more tea so hopefully I'll be alright.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by selbsttatig
I've got a trench that should be arriving right about the middle of May.

I'm planning on buying some various little things this month though. I'm also thinking about buying a nice coffee grinder and possibly some more tea so hopefully I'll be alright.

GET THE GRINDER. That, my friend, is money well spent. I'm obsessed with them.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
What a burr grinder? Which ones you guys looking at?

selbsttatig

Reaction score
I was looking at a Rancilio Rocky but after reading a whole lot of reviews on CoffeeGeek I've decided to go with a Baratza Virtuoso. I'm only going to be using it for French press and the Rocky seems kind of like overkill.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Aren't rancilios like the selvedge denim of burr grinders? I know breville is like seven but I'd like to keep it under 100 just for a french press ya know?

selbsttatig

Reaction score
Yeah, sort of. Rancilio could be equated to selvedge denim and then something like Mazzer would be like really high-end Japanese selvedge (Mazzer has a grinder that goes for $1700).

The Virtuoso I'm planning on getting is $165 shipped refurbished be Baratza. For under or right at $100 there's the Capresso Infinity or the Baratza Maestro. I'm pretty sure both are regarded as pretty good for French press, neither will do espresso though.

Now that I'm thinking about it, after I buy that grinder it's no purchases period for the rest of May club for me.
confused.gif

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by selbsttatig
Yeah, sort of. Rancilio could be equated to selvedge denim and then something like Mazzer would be like really high-end Japanese selvedge (Mazzer has a grinder that goes for $1700).

The Virtuoso I'm planning on getting is $165 shipped refurbished be Baratza. For under or right at $100 there's the Capresso Infinity or the Baratza Maestro. I'm pretty sure both are regarded as pretty good for French press, neither will do espresso though.

Now that I'm thinking about it, after I buy that grinder it's no purchases period for the rest of May club for me.
confused.gif

I've got a Solis Maestro. I was also going crazy with Coffee Geek and Whole Latte Love reviews. I've had it for about 2 years, and it's worked flawlessly. I totally recommend it:

maestrofront.jpg

http://coffeegeek.com/proreviews/detailed/solismaestro

Also, if you want to save money, it's good to check on Ebay for these items. There's often refurbs for a huge discount off retail, as some of the larger distributors keep accounts there. I bought my Espresso machine that way, and it's still going strong after 2 years as well.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
So for 30 more I should get that over the breville?

cjbreed

Reaction score
well i don't know anything about kettles, but i want to commit to this no new purchases in may thing. no clothes and for sure no denim!

selbsttatig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jet
So for 30 more I should get that over the breville?
I'd say so. Though is you don't have a problem buying it refurbished Baratza sells the Maestro for $75.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads