• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nikon D90

G79

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a hobby, I need one and always loved taking pictures. I was thinking of getting myself a Nikon D90. Anyone have any views on the camera? Any suggestions.

Thanks in advance

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
Very capable camera. Should more than exceed your expectations.

Agree 100%. I shoot with Nikon's(and Leica) and the D90 is a very good camera!

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Nikon Fan here. D90 is an excellent camera-a pro photographer friend has one. There are also some nice deals now on the D3000.

I shoot with an F100 now but need to move to digital soon. Quality film developing is getting scarce.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Agree with the above. For a beginner, consider the D3000 or D5000...both also very good for the price!

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I shoot with the D90 and its a great camera that really won't fall short in many aspects. You've got a spend a fair amount more to get to the next league of bodies.

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rjmaiorano
I shoot with the D90 and its a great camera that really won't fall short in many aspects. You've got a spend a fair amount more to get to the next league of bodies.

Same. I think in all honesty, that the lens is far more important than the body. the D90 will suffice for almost all your photography needs unless you're selling your photos to NatGeo or something.

G79

Reaction score
Thanks all. I think I will go with the D90 and maybe I can have some pics in the self gloss photo thread !
smile.gif

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another endorsement on the D90. I've had it for over a year, and it hasn't disappoint. It's certainly a more capable camera than its protographer, me.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you go canon...you can eventually use L glass

Nikon may have some more interesting bits on the low end...but their bodies will never mate to the best lenses out there. There are deals on slickdeals for the starter level canon kits all of the time.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
If you go canon...you can eventually use L glass

Nikon may have some more interesting bits on the low end...but their bodies will never mate to the best lenses out there. There are deals on slickdeals for the starter level canon kits all of the time.

Leica makes the best lenses but the ED glass on Nikon is just as good as Canon in my experience.

stickshift

Reaction score
I would get the D90 over the D5000 simply because of ergonomics - it's a bigger and more durable body. I would also suggest looking into a used D300 simply because of its fantastic autofocus system.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stickshift
I would get the D90 over the D5000 simply because of ergonomics - it's a bigger and more durable body. I would also suggest looking into a used D300 simply because of its fantastic autofocus system.

yes, the D90 has two wheels, lots of buttons to easily change parameters without delving into menus. It's a great camera for that price point.

!luc

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Leica makes the best lenses but the ED glass on Nikon is just as good as Canon in my experience.

Yeah, slightly better for some lenses, slightly worse for others, but as a range pretty comparable (based on internet opinions I've read; I don't have any Nikon experience).

Still, if you have an idea of the type of photography you're interested in, choosing a system based upon which has better lenses for your purposes is a good recommendation. If not, you can still rest assured that either is a good choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics