• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

b-ewing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice choice.  I've been wanting that leather ever since I first laid eyes on it.

How long was the build time?

Thx man. The time for me was immediate- got em second hand! Their current wait times are crazy long tho. I've got a buddy that's been waiting over 15mos for a pair, which is overkill and the exception, but last I checked with Kyle the lead time was about 26wks which is still completely insane IMO

NorthCoast

Reaction score
Thx man. The time for me was immediate- got em second hand! Their current wait times are crazy long tho. I've got a buddy that's been waiting over 15mos for a pair, which is overkill and the exception, but last I checked with Kyle the lead time was about 26wks which is still completely insane IMO

WEll enjoy and nice move getting them on the secondary market.

I really really wanted them but after my experience of waiting more that half a year I decided to go in another direction with my next pair of boots, probably White's again.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice to see you back on the boards b-ewing

Last edited:

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's just say I'm plenty happy with the nickel hardware on my FQHH Dustbowl ;)

Right on! Thought I made a new friend over there, but turns out it was an old friend...
270c.png

daveinsweethome

Reaction score
NICKS HORSEHIDE BNIB REDUCING FOR SALE. 11 E. ended up with two pairs of same after waiting over 26 weeks. asking $525 shipped to you. Paid $579. and no wait. PRICE REDUCTION ONE TIME $475.00 CONUS SHIPPING INCLUDED

Last edited:

jfalbanese

Reaction score

here they are. comments and feedback welcome.

The bad

33 weeks from order to delivery. i almost chalked it up to drinking out of the wrong bottle, and told myself it was all an hallucination.
wanted these boots to be insulated, was informed after 7.5 months that it was not available for this style of boot.
wanted composite toes, and was also informed after 7.5 months , that it was not available for this style of boot.
originally ordered red stingray lowers and black uppers. was informed early in the process that they were not comfortable with the stitching on the finished product, and offered black instead. the tan teton uppers were also chosen because the original black uppers(i forget which kind of leather) were not available. this issue can also fall into the Good column. i appreciated the initial honesty of that statement, as i did not want a pair of boots that the maker was not willing to put their name on it, and stand behind their product

It's not all bad.

The good.
quite a unique and interesting boot design. looked a bit (insert same sex expletive here). this was resolved after the first oiling.
The fit. wore these around the house the first day. the second day i wore these at work for the first time during my standard 12 hour shift. I had a broken in pair of Whites in the car, in anticipation of break in pain. this never materialized and was able to wear these for the whole time with no detrimental effects. before you order a pair of Nicks, understand your experience may not be the same. while i was waiting for these boots, i brutalized my feet, ankles, and calf's breaking in 3 pairs of whites boots while i waited for the nicks. it could be that my feet and ankles were already scarred, and the usual break in issues were already resolved. the other difference is my 14" whites smoke jumpers were self measured, and the Nicks were custom measured in the store. if you are able to go to the store for a custom fit, i encourage you to do so. i prefer the fit of the nicks over the self measured Whites, the custom fitting is worth the extra money.

The unknown,
will it be 8 months to resole these boots when the time comes?
same applies to the rebuild of the lowers? if i live long enough to get there,
Nicks claims stingray hide is 25% stronger than leather. seeing how i abuse my boots we'll see about that. i look forward to testing that theory.

questions? comments? Hit Me,

jfalbanese

Reaction score
my 14" custom smoke jumpers took 1 month when i ordered last February. depending on the time of year you order you should be able to expect the same results, if you order from Whites. keep in mind if you order a pair of these boots, and you never wore a pair of shoes like this, there is a break in period while you teach yourself how to walk completely different from the experience of wearing a machine made pair of shoes. the leather offered can be compared to breaking in a pair of rocks. whites say's 100 hours to break in, and nicks claims 80 hours. patience and proper measuring is vital to ending up with a comfortable fit. good luck.

damonff

Reaction score
Those look amazing. They will break in better soon, don't worry. I got my 14 inch navy cxl's last July and they are just now starting to break in.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads