• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nicks Boots

Chris Tran

Reaction score
Most of the Nicks crowd doesnt really use forums to talk about their boots I suspect. Also after 5-10 years its not really a surprise that they hold up for another year.

Ive had Rangers for a year and if I were to switch laces theyd be unscathed.

I might add these are my primary hiking boots as well as everyday wearing in addition to my other pairs. The standard Ranger is everything I actually wanted without having to spec my own.

Last edited:

mr. burns

Reaction score
^That looks like some proper logging leather.

For a while I've been using some Red Wing 3140 as my do everything work and casual boot, but I'm looking to take a step [or 2 or 3] up and get some custom fitted White's or Nicks. Probably Nicks tbh because their stitching seems more consistent and I like the way the heel counter overlaps with the upper more. That's practically the only difference between the two boots and the grumpy old man at my local distributor of White's and Nicks kept stressing how much they were exactly the same. Sadly he was a giant douche and probably had never ordered a boot for someone that wasn't a firefighter, so I won't be dealing with him again, but that's a story for another time.

I've been doing research and trying to decide on what configuration I want. I think I'm pretty set on natural CXL, but I wanted to make sure it would be ok for a work environment that takes a lot of scuffs. Seems like that would add a lot of character to that kind of leather, but I've heard somewhat different things about the toughness of the leather. Want to make sure it can take these kind of hits on a daily basis.

Another thing I'm mulling over is the sole type. Since my current boots are a wedge sole and I'm walking on smooth concrete all day, my first instinct was to go for something like this in a 6" version.

But after seeing awesome pics like this, I'm wondering if a traditional logger/cuban heel and a Vibram 700 could be just as comfortable for 8 hour days standing and walking on concrete.
900x900px-LL-9de17b79_IMG_4509.jpeg

I'm concerned the 2021 sole will wear down too fast with the foot miles I put in, but at the same time having that elevated rubber sole could be better for when I have to stand in up to 1/2" of water when cleaning in the cooler at work.

Lastly... a question about lasts. So, if I wanted the Nicks version of a bounty hunter, I'd just order a 6" boot with the #3 toe? Not really sure what the equivalent would be.

Thanks

Chris Tran

Reaction score
Sounds like you have my dealer in Santa Clara. For the fire boot, hes actually right. Theyre on the same last and they fit the same. Nick's uses thicker leather sometimes and a thicker sole on the hot shot than the SJ.

CXL is not as tough as the standard Walnut, black, or chocolate leather. Also wedge soles are not as durable as the standard heel/sole pattern.

If you wanted a bounty hunter from Nicks, itd be the Ranger with the #2 toe. The #3 toe is more comfortable and you cant really make out the difference.

mr. burns

Reaction score
Haha, yea. You actually deal with that guy? All he had was a Hot Shot and Smoke Jumper in the same configuration on display so he could drive home his point and he refused to even size me when I asked for it, which is all I really wanted to do when going there. I think he just thought I was a poser at first, but by the time I had proven to him I knew what I was talking about it was too late. Didn't want to deal with him anymore. I'll get someone else to trace my foot.

According to this image on nicks site I thought the #3 would be the bounty hunterish last. Might go for that anyway, just for the toe room.

Last edited:

Chris Tran

Reaction score
Haha, yea. You actually deal with that guy? All he had was a Hot Shot and Smoke Jumper in the same configuration on display so he could drive home his point and he refused to even size me when I asked for it, which is all I really wanted to do when going there. I think he just thought I was a poser at first, but by the time I had proven to him I knew what I was talking about it was too late. Didn't want to deal with him anymore. I'll get someone else to trace my foot.

According to this image on nicks site I thought the #3 would be the bounty hunterish last. Might go for that anyway, just for the toe room.

He's foreign to the styleforum way. Basically he will try to fit you into a stock size boot in either brand before resorting to a custom fit. This eliminates the foot tracing process entirely, he'll still take measurements though just to confirm what will fit. Both Nick's and White's use the same measurement chart size for size. If and only if you are in-between sizes or have a weird foot, you will need a custom last.

Custom lasts cost money, they usually don't fit better since a snug fitting boot will usually go 1/4 size in any direction to accommodate you perfectly anyway. Nick's charges less money for the service even if you were to need it so there is that.

I guess you're right is it is the #3 toe.

Get your order in now, and mention me by name for 10% off. I'm a frequent customer and I plan on filling my closet with these damn things. I just did a vacation to austin in my very comfortable Roberts.

Chris Tran

Reaction score
Man can I see more pics? Those look incredible

Look a couple pages back, they're only about a month old. They're very good for travelling light when you're not in the field.

If you want a durable boot, I don't see the Robert failing, but if you want the benchmark of toughness, the Rangers as-is off the site + your modifications is probably the way to go. Roughout is something to consider as well, as its even easier to care for. The knap takes up a lot of scratches and dents a smooth leather wouldn't take and it's a great fit for your vamp leather choice.

I actually am considering gator for ***** and giggles on my next pair..

mr. burns

Reaction score
Isn't the only difference between a Robert and Ranger the toe stitching and/or toe shape?

I don't really care for the White's and Nicks naming schemes. When I order I'm just going to tell them the configuration I want and couldn't care less what name it falls under.

It's looking like:
Natural CXL
Toe #3
trying to decided on celastic or not
double stitching
6"
rolled top
single midsole, natural finish
2021 sole, sand color

Last edited:

Chris Tran

Reaction score

Isn't the only difference between a Robert and Ranger the toe stitching and/or toe shape?

I don't really care for the White's and Nicks naming schemes. When I order I'm just going to tell them the configuration I want and couldn't care less what name it falls under.

It's looking like:
Natural CXL
Toe #3
trying to decided on celastic or not
double stitching
6"
rolled top
single midsole, natural finish
2021 sole, sand color

Sounds like a plan. Dont get celastic. You can feel it and it doesnt do much in the long run.

NorthCoast

Reaction score
^I'm not sure about celastic not doing much based on pictures I have seen of collapsed toes.

I opted for it because I dont like that collapsed toe look especially if I'm spending North of $400 on a pair of shoes.

On the 55 last there have been no comfort issues for me.

Last edited:

Chris Tran

Reaction score
^I'm not sure about celastic not doing much based on pictures I have seen of collapsed toes.

I opted for it because I dont like that collapsed toe look especially if I'm spending North of $400 on a pair of shoes.

On the 55 last there have been no comfort issues for me.

I'd use shoe trees before I wanted to avoid that. Celastic still collapses, just later if left on their own

mr. burns

Reaction score
It's aesthetic preference but I'm not really understanding the concerns with toe collapse and boot price correlation. They're boots not dress shoes. I've seen plenty of great examples with and without celastic and it's not something that's always needed even in a work environment. To me it makes a boot look nicely broken in and super comfortable.

Last edited:

NorthCoast

Reaction score
^"It's aesthetic preference but I'm not really understanding the concerns with toe collapse and boot price correlation. They're boots not dress shoes."

The difference is intended use. I'm not buying them to work in and I prefer them to not look all beat up since they will be worn with a variety of pants/shirts. Personal preference based on use and desired appearance. I never wore my RedWing work boots out, they were for work. But this class of boot I 'can' wear out and coming from the perspective of one who has worn work boots, work shoes I beat up, dress shoes or non work shoes, I wear in social situations or urban/office environment. Totally different applications.

^^Chris, thanks for the reminder on shoe trees. I need to buy some. Any thoughts on the regular vs. the boot version to go in boots? Thanks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads