1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Nice wear marks, or disaster?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by DGP, Jul 8, 2006.

1. DGP

DGP Senior member

After I wash my hands, I've always been given to drying them on the back of my jeans. On my new RRDG project jeans, will this lead to interesting distressing later on, or will it just look retarded to have these streaks on the back of the ass?

2. Edward Appleby

Edward Appleby Senior member

Don't you find that you get indigo all over your hands?

3. DGP

DGP Senior member

Oh, I should have clarified: since I started wearing the dry jeans, I have been careful not to do this, but am now wondering whether it would turn out kinda cool.

4. Edward Appleby

I think you'd have to wash your hands with OCD-frequency to make any sort of noticeable mark.

5. 2000dB

2000dB Senior member

I do that all the time and it doesn't leave weird fading marks.

6. Jetta

Jetta Well-Known Member

Indigo is not water soluable, so a wet hand should not cause any more to rub off than a dry hand would.

7. Edward Appleby

Indigo is not water soluable, so a wet hand should not cause any more to rub off than a dry hand would.
    Nonetheless, in the early stages of the dry denim process, vigorous rubbing will take some off. Besides, no one goes around rubbing their jeans with a dry hand either.

8. rnrswitch

rnrswitch Senior member

I would say don't worry about it. It should cause some slight fading, but for the most part any type of "natural" wear should look good on your jeans. I wipe my hands off on my jeans all the time and it doesn't seem to produce any awkward wear.

9. PunctualAlex

PunctualAlex Well-Known Member

So why does washing jeans remove the indigo?

10. Jetta

Jetta Well-Known Member

So why does washing jeans remove the indigo?

it just removes the indigo that has been knocked loose from the fabric by wear.

11. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Drying your hands on raw denim will accelerate normal wear. Try drying them behind the knees for better honeycombs, etc.

12. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

don't worry about it. in fact, don't even think about your pants. put it out of your mind entirely. and one day, you will take off your jeans and throw them on the floor and find that they are nicely faded without any mental exertion whatsoever.

13. PG2G

PG2G Senior member

oops *cough*

14. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

hey, why'd you have to spoil my hijinks?

ummm... any updates, DGP?

did you end up with unusual wear as you feared?

15. Double D

Double D Senior member

Nonetheless, in the early stages of the dry denim process, vigorous rubbing will take some off. Besides, no one goes around rubbing their jeans with a dry hand either.
    Personally I prefer to lube up before I rub my jeans, and by the sounds of it so do you.

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not sure I understand the point of washing one's hands to remove dirt and bacteria then wiping them on jeans that probably haven't been washed in six months or so.

lefty

17. thereverend

thereverend Senior member

18. ardeetee

ardeetee Senior member

yep, it's gross but I usually try to avoid wiping my hands on my jeans after i've worn them for a while because my hands just end up feeling dirty again. sometimes I do it out of habit and I have to go back and wash them again.

19. KennyGhetzoff

KennyGhetzoff Senior member

my RRDG don't bleed so much, nor do the RRDS... APC on the other hand bled all over my white checkered vans in the first few days I wore em.