• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Next jacket?

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
I couldn't think of an appropriate existing threak for this, so I figured I'd start one . (Mods: feel free to move if you disagree.)

I'm about to have my next jacket made up, and was wondering what the next useful purchase would be.

What I have so far:
-Navy flannel herringbone with tan horn buttons (functions as winter blazer)
-Olive flannel check with thin red overcheck
-Brown herringbone tweed, triple patch
-Rather busy light blue check (spring color, worsted)
-French blue unlined hopsack with MOP buttons, 2 patch/breast welt
-Navy linen check, unlined

I also have solid suits in navy and charcoal and a black tie rig.

I'm thinking the next versatile jacket would be an unlined summer-weight navy 2 patch/breast welt, perhaps in hopsack or fresco with either light-colored horn or MOP buttons.

Am I on the right track here, or is this a failure of imagination? I'd love some suggestions of alternatives (or validation.) I'd certainly be open, for example, to the idea of another tweed, especially since winter here runs from November to April.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I couldn't think of an appropriate existing threak for this, so I figured I'd start one . (Mods: feel free to move if you disagree.)

I'm about to have my next jacket made up, and was wondering what the next useful purchase would be.

What I have so far:
-Navy flannel herringbone with tan horn buttons (functions as winter blazer)
-Olive flannel check with thin red overcheck
-Brown herringbone tweed, triple patch
-Rather busy light blue check (spring color, worsted)
-French blue unlined hopsack with MOP buttons, 2 patch/breast welt
-Navy linen check, unlined

I also have solid suits in navy and charcoal and a black tie rig.

I'm thinking the next versatile jacket would be an unlined summer-weight navy 2 patch/breast welt, perhaps in hopsack or fresco with either light-colored horn or MOP buttons.

Am I on the right track here, or is this a failure of imagination? I'd love some suggestions of alternatives (or validation.) I'd certainly be open, for example, to the idea of another tweed, especially since winter here runs from November to April.

You're free to start your own threads, man. This would be a good one for the Good Natured Advice Thread, but here is fine too. I think you are on the right track....true navy hopsack.

turkoftheplains

Reaction score

You're free to start your own threads, man.  This would be a good one for the Good Natured Advice Thread, but here is fine too.  I think you are on the right track....true navy hopsack.

Glad you agree-- I figure I couldn't go wrong with a nice lightweight navy.

Thought about Noodles' thread but wasn't sure if this was too far afield.

deadAngle

Reaction score
Hi, I will be the devil's advocate here. I have used voodoo magic to make you suddenly desire a forest green herringbone tweed in 3-roll-2 configuration with steeply angled flapped chest pocket, wide lapels, lower gorge.

Last edited:

colco

Reaction score
I love blue. I have nine jackets with a blue base, five of which are solid navy blue. However, you seem to keep a nice, tight seasonal rotation and you've got nothing brown for warmer weather. So perhaps a medium brown herringbone linen?

turkoftheplains

Reaction score

Hi, I will be the devil's advocate here. I have used voodoo magic to make you suddenly desire a forest green herringbone tweed in 3-roll-2 configuration with steeply angled flapped chest pocket, wide lapels, lower gorge.

My "brown" tweed is really more of a lovat that resolves to something between brown and green, and it is a 3-roll-2. Hadn't considered a flapped chest pocket-- that would take it much more into country/Norfolk jacket territory, wouldn't it? Assuming you don't spend whole days hunting grouse or re-enacting the Edwardian era, how do you wear such a jacket?

turkoftheplains

Reaction score

I love blue.  I have nine jackets with a blue base, five of which are solid navy blue.  However, you seem to keep a nice, tight seasonal rotation and you've got nothing brown for warmer weather.  So perhaps a medium brown herringbone linen?

That's a good point. I'll look at some brown summer weight fabrics as well. I may still go blue, since I'm thinking about something slightly more "city" than my current summer jackets that I can use for work functions (the French blue is a solid and conservatively styled, but the color is much too loud for this.) Maybe in the right material or with the right details, a brown could work for this?

deadAngle

Reaction score
Same way you'd wear any other tweed jacket. IMO you could easily get away with a flapped chest pocket as long as there weren't also elbow or chest patches. However, since your tweed already has green in it I'd throw my lot in for a lightweight brown linen instead.

colco

Reaction score
That's a good point. I'll look at some brown summer weight fabrics as well. I may still go blue, since I'm thinking about something slightly more "city" than my current summer jackets that I can use for work functions (the French blue is a solid and conservatively styled, but the color is much too loud for this.) Maybe in the right material or with the right details, a brown could work for this?
Do your shirts, ties, trousers lend themselves better to brown or navy? I'd probably get a navy jacket if I wasn't comfortable wearing the blue jacket you mention above in a business setting.

Last edited:

turkoftheplains

Reaction score
I think my other clothes lend themselves equally well to either color. My shirts are more or less all blue (along with the obligatory few white dress shirts and some white linen BDs for summer) and my summer pants are all mid-grey of khaki-colored; the only dark brown pants I have are flannels.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads