• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New WW Chan Sharksin Suit w/ JJ Minnis

elegal619

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
The line made me think of Maxwell Smart, and he wore 1-button 3-piece suits too. I'm sure he must've had a grey sharkskin.

You're right. In retrospect, I think should have gone 2 button.

sellahi22

Reaction score
The body of the jacket looks great to me - sculpted nicely to your body and with a perfect buttoning point. Normally I would like a wider lapel and a 2-button closure, but I think a more minimalist approach, with narrow lapel and one-button closure, is better for a 3-piece where the vest adds enough flair/interest.

The tapering/shaping of the sleeves looks a little awkward to me. I think we would need to see more photos to tell if there is a problem here.

Great choice in cloth by the way.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by elegal619
It's not too late to change it, but dressing like Maxwell Smart isn't a bad thing. He was very style conscious and once mentioned that he won the award for best-dressed CONTROL agent. I'd just avoid the 4-button suits from the later seasons. I'm a really big fan of one-button suits myself, though I only have one.

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not too late to change it, but dressing like Maxwell Smart isn't a bad thing. He was very style conscious and once mentioned that he won the award for best-dressed CONTROL agent. I'd just avoid the 4-button suits from the later seasons. I'm a really big fan of one-button suits myself, though I only have one.
How can you change it from one to two buttons without ruining the jacket? -LR

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, but I agree with niidawg3;

Originally Posted by niidawg3

edit: something funky going on wth your right shoulder. seems a bit too big. also some excess fabric i nthe right side of your chest.

but maybe it''s just the pic. also, is the left sleeve longer than the right or just the pic?

Just curious: what did you ask for re shoulder? Seems a bit more structured than his 'typical' (i.e. for the US market) soft shoulder.

Originally Posted by ljrcustom
How can you change it from one to two buttons without ruining the jacket?
-LR

Not sure you can; happy to be enlightened.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by elegal619

It's not too late to change it...

Don't change it. You're right on trend for "The Suit of the Season".
laugh.gif

Srlsy, the 1-button is a bonafide classic. And sometimes the lapels/quarters are cut in a way that emphasizes the single button and would look weird if you added the second one.

Btw, anyone know the protocol of buttoning the jacket with a vest on a 1-button? Shouldn't you leave the jacket unbuttoned on a typical 3-piece?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
laugh.gif
Srlsy, the 1-button is a bonafide classic. And sometimes the lapels/quarters are cut in a way that emphasizes the single button and would look weird if you added the second one. Btw, anyone know the protocol of buttoning the jacket with a vest on a 1-button? Shouldn't you leave the jacket unbuttoned on a typical 3-piece?

There's no protocol as I know of, but I always leave the coat undone when wearing a 3 piece regardless off button stance. You want people to see your waistcoat.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ljrcustom
How can you change it from one to two buttons without ruining the jacket?

-LR

If the quarters aren't cut too open a tailor can just add another button below. The button placement on a 1-button and 2-button jacket should be the same. It's the balance point for the jacket. However, on second look at the suit in question I think the quarters are too open to add a second button.

Originally Posted by Parker
laugh.gif

Srlsy, the 1-button is a bonafide classic. And sometimes the lapels/quarters are cut in a way that emphasizes the single button and would look weird if you added the second one.

Btw, anyone know the protocol of buttoning the jacket with a vest on a 1-button? Shouldn't you leave the jacket unbuttoned on a typical 3-piece?

I agree that it is a classic and doesn't need to be changed. There is no difference in the way a 1-button 3-piece suit is worn from a 2 or 3-button. The button may or may not be fastened, though I lean toward buttoning it.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the quarters aren't cut too open a tailor can just add another button below. The button placement on a 1-button and 2-button jacket should be the same. ...

I don't think this is correct; the button on a 1-button is typically where the middle button is on a 3-button and the positioning on a 2-button is typically slightly different. I guess you can just add a button to the 1-button jacket, but it would look somewhat odd to the (trained) eye.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru