• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Wardrobe for Retiree

richard95

Reaction score
I'm 59 years old and retired, but I would the right wardrobe for me. I'm 5'8" and about 210 lbs. I normally wear jeans and sport shirts, western boots. I have two suits, when I need them. I am just trying to upgrade with a moderate pension. Thank you for your assistance.

Bartolo

Reaction score
How about some Lands End oxford cloth button-down collar shirts? On sale they are in the $10.00 range. You'll have to iron them, however.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I were retired and in the right climate, I would wear nothing but Top-Siders and linen shirts.

You might consider trying to lose some weight, make that retirement last a little longer and look a little better.

shiftless_bum

Reaction score
Why exactly are you wanting to upgrade your wardrobe? Do you have any specific looks that you like? Answering these questions may help you decide between button downs and topsiders/linens.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by richard95
I'm 59 years old and retired, but I would the right wardrobe for me. I'm 5'8" and about 210 lbs. I normally wear jeans and sport shirts, western boots. I have two suits, when I need them. I am just trying to upgrade with a moderate pension. Thank you for your assistance.

I'm not sure at 59 you should be trying to change your look, particularly as you seem, and I'm making assumptions here, to be the kind of person who is not that comfortable being "dressed up".

To put it another way as you get on in life you should perhaps be near the end of a journey (editor: getting a bit too Oprah here - journey?) with your style and clothes. You should largely know what you like and what suits you and be simplifying and refining the amount of clothes and maybe buying the odd item you have always wished for.

If you are the kind of guy who doesn't wish he could wear a suit every day and you have spent a lifetime wearing jeans, sports shirts and cowboy boots - now is not the time to adopt someone else's style and start wearing suits and ties.

My advice is to go with your own style.

I remember when I was in Denver years ago I was shocked and pleased to see so many men wearing what I would call "Western cut business attire". Many of them looked just great and in context.

First I'd suggest you start with just making sure you do what you do well and better than most. Get jeans that fit and flatter you. It won't be young guys skinny black hipsters. Understand what brand is best for you.

What length looks best. Get some good belts - not too showy and tacky but tasteful western. Boots - get good looking boots that suit you. Get understated western shirts that go with the look. Get some great subtle string ties.

In short go western but well fitted and very understated. It should make you feel comfortable and relaxed and then you will look good. Presumably you wear these clothes because you like them and they suit you and your body shape and the things you do.

If you want to go more stylish - go in the direction of tailored understated Western business gear.

It will look good - it will be you and not someone else and you'll feel like you. And it might not be all that expensive.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of this stuff looks good:
http://www.rockmount.com/shirts/dressshirts.asp

Article: Western dress suits everyone

Suit:
072065_73_p1_600x600.jpg

Pants:
070035_z6_p1_600x600.jpg

with this jacket:
072873_33_p1_600x600.jpg

Jeans:
010058_88_p1_600x600.jpg

I like this jacket:
072990_41_p1_600x600.jpg

centrix

Reaction score
sadly hugh hefner doesnt live on a moderate pension

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I am older (retirement is projected at 72 for me) I am going to wear the same tweed outfits I wear today. Everyone else can wear iClothes, but not me. I'm sticking with my tweed. (And yes, my Rockmount Ranch Wear as well.)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads