New Wardrobe for Retiree

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by richard95, Jan 25, 2010.

1. richard95

richard95 New Member

I'm 59 years old and retired, but I would the right wardrobe for me. I'm 5'8" and about 210 lbs. I normally wear jeans and sport shirts, western boots. I have two suits, when I need them. I am just trying to upgrade with a moderate pension. Thank you for your assistance.

2. Bartolo

Bartolo Senior member

How about some Lands End oxford cloth button-down collar shirts? On sale they are in the $10.00 range. You'll have to iron them, however.

3. unjung

unjung Senior member

If I were retired and in the right climate, I would wear nothing but Top-Siders and linen shirts.

You might consider trying to lose some weight, make that retirement last a little longer and look a little better.

4. shiftless_bum

shiftless_bum Senior member

Why exactly are you wanting to upgrade your wardrobe? Do you have any specific looks that you like? Answering these questions may help you decide between button downs and topsiders/linens.

5. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm 59 years old and retired, but I would the right wardrobe for me. I'm 5'8" and about 210 lbs. I normally wear jeans and sport shirts, western boots. I have two suits, when I need them. I am just trying to upgrade with a moderate pension. Thank you for your assistance.

I'm not sure at 59 you should be trying to change your look, particularly as you seem, and I'm making assumptions here, to be the kind of person who is not that comfortable being "dressed up".

To put it another way as you get on in life you should perhaps be near the end of a journey (editor: getting a bit too Oprah here - journey?) with your style and clothes. You should largely know what you like and what suits you and be simplifying and refining the amount of clothes and maybe buying the odd item you have always wished for.

If you are the kind of guy who doesn't wish he could wear a suit every day and you have spent a lifetime wearing jeans, sports shirts and cowboy boots - now is not the time to adopt someone else's style and start wearing suits and ties.

My advice is to go with your own style.

I remember when I was in Denver years ago I was shocked and pleased to see so many men wearing what I would call "Western cut business attire". Many of them looked just great and in context.

First I'd suggest you start with just making sure you do what you do well and better than most. Get jeans that fit and flatter you. It won't be young guys skinny black hipsters. Understand what brand is best for you.

What length looks best. Get some good belts - not too showy and tacky but tasteful western. Boots - get good looking boots that suit you. Get understated western shirts that go with the look. Get some great subtle string ties.

In short go western but well fitted and very understated. It should make you feel comfortable and relaxed and then you will look good. Presumably you wear these clothes because you like them and they suit you and your body shape and the things you do.

If you want to go more stylish - go in the direction of tailored understated Western business gear.

It will look good - it will be you and not someone else and you'll feel like you. And it might not be all that expensive.

6. fxh

fxh Senior member

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Oops I didn't realise the image would be so big. Is there a way to make them smaller?

8. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Nice creases in those jeans above.

9. Mr. Walter Trent

Mr. Walter Trent Well-Known Member

I'm 59 years old and retired, but I would the right wardrobe for me.

Two words: Hugh Hefner

10. centrix

centrix Senior member

sadly hugh hefner doesnt live on a moderate pension

11. brittain

brittain Senior member

sadly hugh hefner doesnt live on a moderate pension

Im sure Hef isnt too sad about it.

12. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

When I am older (retirement is projected at 72 for me) I am going to wear the same tweed outfits I wear today. Everyone else can wear iClothes, but not me. I'm sticking with my tweed. (And yes, my Rockmount Ranch Wear as well.)