• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to the Suit World [ my experiences ]

Jaya87

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forums here, I've been lurking on here for quite sometime, but figure it's about time I join!

I figure I start by sharing some of my experiences and see if maybe they can help others, as well would love some feedback on where I can improve my suit wardrobe.

I'm 28 and have been working in the banking world for about 5-6 years now. I make roughly about 65k a year and carry a mortgage. I'm not an executive by any means, more so entry/middle management. I know some of you might be wondering why I'm mentioning all of this, I am just hoping to give you a bit of background of where I come from and what my means are when I look for suits.

With that said I tend to look for suits around the $400-$700 range and I am a hard bargain hunter these days and love the feeling of finding a good bang for my buck!

Lets start with the beginning

18 years old // $500 Calvin Klein / Black Pin Stripe
Yes! the above is correct and when I look back on this purchase I cringe of course! My father bought me this suit for Prom and I remember having the intention of wearing this for a long long time [ Shakes head]. My advice for any 18-20 year old is that, Please do not think this suit will last you forever, if your anything like me, I was 5'9, weighed about $135 lbs, so of course when I went to college and filled out my frame, this suit went straight to the back of the closet along with the style.

24 years old // $650 Strada // Charcoal Faint Pin Stripes
This was also another Awful Buy! For those of you who are wondering what in the "F" is Strada, I don't blame you. This shop is one of those common mall Italian MensWear stores that may carry a few brand names but for the most part is crap. The suit looked great of course on the rack, but the cut is poor and the material is nothing much to speak of either. Lets just say this is another learning experience.

27 years old // $400 Brooks Brother Fitzgerald 1818 // Navy Blue
I will call this my first real suit purchase. I picked this suit up at an outlet mall, which was a great buy as I did some research prior to going. I know the Brooks Brother outlet stores carry mostly 346 line, however they had a few 1818's and was lucky enough to find my 38R size and fit great.

27 years old // $300 Hugo Boss Red Label // Blue
I know Hugo gets slammed quite a bit on the forums, at least from what I've read, but I must say, it fits great! the cut hugs my body well and for $300 I think it was a great price [picked it up at Saks on Fifth during memorial day sale]

Next Purchase --
I am hoping to pick up a grey suit, some names I've been looking at are Ralph Lauren Black Label, Hickey Freeman Mainline, Paul Smith Mainline and Canali. I of course am not oblivious to a good deal if I pass one, but those are some of the names I've been looking at, would be nice to add a fully canvas suit to my wardrobe.

So for all of those who are still with me, thanks for reading! I'd love to hear some of your feedback on what suits I could add and maybe some of you can share some of your experiences.

Thanks again guys!

Jaya87

Reaction score
thanks for the link backtaro!
I am
- 5'9.5
- 175-178lbs
- broad shoulders
- strong chest
- average to slim waist [ 31']

I would say I am looking for a slimmer fit suit. From what I gather an italian style cut.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look on Yoox. However, it is not worth it to buy anything without being confident it will fit close to correctly before tailoring. Therefore, limit brands to those that are available to try on locally.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads