• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New to Mabitex

gezuz

Reaction score
In my recent foray into the higher end of clothing, I picked up a few wool Mabitex pants on a whim because of the whole Daffy's sale. I sort of jumped right in, assuming my waist on my other dress pants/jeans was a good indicator. Now that I received my first pair in the mail (from bababooey, great seller), I'm curious about the fit/alterations that occur. Firstly, here's a couple pics of the fit (Sorry, they're taken iPhone style):

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg

1. They feel good, but to they look too tight? I want to look professional and good, not too hipster-ish. I've got skinny jeans for that.

2. What kind of alterations can I do to the hemming? Are there different types of hems or styles that go well with wool/Mabitex?

Thanks for schooling a newb, he's trying.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't worry, they don't look too tight. Actually, the fit is great! Enjoy! Oh, and all you need is to hem them. Make sure you insist on little to no break. Most men are not used to making their trousers that short, but it's the only right way with the slim ones. Edit: Another thought: you might want to cuff them to add a little weight at the bottom.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
Don't worry, they don't look too tight. Actually, the fit is great! Enjoy! Oh, and all you need is to hem them. Make sure you insist on little to no break. Most men are not used to making their trousers that short, but it's the only right way with the slim ones.

Edit: Another thought: you might want to cuff them to add a little weight at the bottom.

Yep!

gezuz

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. What length should I hem them to? When I'm standing should they bunch a little at the bottom?

AntiHero84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i would say hem them to about where they are in your pic. you're going to want a very slight break, but at least make sure the tops of your shoes are covered, so no sock is showing. i got a pair myself and i'm nervous my tailor didn't quite understand what i meant by no break...

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good advice. They look perfect. Don't worry about them being too tight. Get them hemmed and ask for Little to no break. If you have a competent tailor he will know what you mean. As mentioned before, you should have a LITTLE Break as to cover the tops of your shoes. I recently bought two pairs of BB Slim-fit Chinos, that basically had zero break and just touched the top of my shoes. I ended up selling them because they looked stupid when I walked. I thought that's what I wanted, but in reality, I feel you need a tiny bit. So, enough rambling.. ask for little to no break and go to a good tailor (its worth spending a few extra bucks).

Enjoy the Mabitex. I went on a Mabitex shopping spree in Daffys recently, and I'm loving it. Awesome fitting pants

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can get either no break or a very slight break, but it's a good idea to ask that they be hemmed on an angle if there is no break so that the back is longer than the front.

red dragon

Reaction score
I picked up a few pairs and thought the same thing when I tried them on.... The fit is fine, it's a step up from J Banks parachute pants so it'll take some getting used to. Definitely cuff them, I forgot to tell the tailor how much so I ended up with a 1/2 inch... Next time I'll go with a 1 inch.

nbmplano

Reaction score
Not to throw the thread to off track, but it seems all anyone ever has is 30 and 32 waist. I wear a 31 waist. Should I go with a 32 and have them taken in or a 30 and have them taken out (if this is even possible?)

red dragon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by nbmplano
Not to throw the thread to off track, but it seems all anyone ever has is 30 and 32 waist. I wear a 31 waist. Should I go with a 32 and have them taken in or a 30 and have them taken out (if this is even possible?)

I'm a 32... I had 34's taken in. They fit fine.

Tried a 32 and they were tight in the thighs. I would think your best bet is to take them in an inch.

CashmereLover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by red dragon
I'm a 32... I had 34's taken in. They fit fine.

Tried a 32 and they were tight in the thighs. I would think your best bet is to take them in an inch.

+1. I'm always a 32 but my first Mabitex, purchased just a couple of weeks ago, were slightly too small in the waist so I had to let them out by 2 cm (almost one inch). Thighs and the rest is great though. But for my next Mabitex I'll consider sizing up to 34 (or 33, if that exists) and probably take the waist in.

thrice

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CashmereLover
+1. I'm always a 32 but my first Mabitex, purchased just a couple of weeks ago, were slightly too small in the waist so I had to let them out by 2 cm (almost one inch). Thighs and the rest is great though. But for my next Mabitex I'll consider sizing up to 34 (or 33, if that exists) and probably take the waist in.
How are they in the calves(17,5cm) and thigh(27,5cm)? I like my clothes to be slim, but my legs are a bit muscular. for my 32"-33" waist, atleast in the scandinavian brands.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ruben
Where can one find these if I'm miles aways from a daffys?
Are you f*$&ing kidding? Scan the front page of MC B&S...
ffffuuuu.gif
Several hundred pairs have exchanged hands there in the past few weeks.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Are you f*$&ing kidding? Scan the front page of MC B&S...
ffffuuuu.gif

Several hundred pairs have exchanged hands there in the past few weeks.

For real! Mabitex are as essential to SF economy as cigarettes are in prison.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads