• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New suit - thoughts?

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Thank you very much. It will be a New Year's party at a nice hotel in San Francisco, so I hope it will be semi-formal.

You see black too, eh? Hmm... maybe it is black.

If it's at a hotel then you should be fine, nothing to worry about. It's difficult to see with the poor lighting in your photos, but if it was navy you would be able to tell when you pair it with a lighter blue like in your tie or shirt. Nothing in your photos brings out any hint of blue in the suit, but again that could just be due to bad lighting. In the right light, the difference between navy and black shouldn't be difficult for you to discern.

izlat

Reaction score
Yup, suit seems smart
smile.gif

Would not wear this shirt with it for any occasion, btw - but it may be just the photo

Cheers

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Metlin
Like others have pointed out, it is hard to see the fit from your pictures.

The suit looks great; however, I think the suit + shirt + tie combo looks a bit too busy.

Re: the pinstripes, I don't think they look too business-y at all. Perfect for a semi formal gathering.

And at first sight, I thought it was dark blue. And then, I read about it looking black and went back and saw and was confused. Now I simply can't decide.
confused.gif

Thanks for the feedback... black vs. blue answer at the bottom.

Originally Posted by randallr
i like it where did you get it?

It was a gift from my parents. I'm not 100% sure where they got it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe try the Polo store or an outlet?

Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
+1.

Thank you.

BLACK VS. BLUE: It appears a price tag says "DK BLUSTRP", which I would read as Dark Blue Stripe. If it is, it's the darkest blue I've ever seen. Can I still wear brown shoes with this?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
If it's at a hotel then you should be fine, nothing to worry about. It's difficult to see with the poor lighting in your photos, but if it was navy you would be able to tell when you pair it with a lighter blue like in your tie or shirt. Nothing in your photos brings out any hint of blue in the suit, but again that could just be due to bad lighting. In the right light, the difference between navy and black shouldn't be difficult for you to discern.

Read above.. I agree with you, but it appears the tag says otherwise.
eh.gif

Originally Posted by izlat
Yup, suit seems smart
smile.gif

Would not wear this shirt with it for any occasion, btw - but it may be just the photo

Cheers

Thanks, izlat. What don't you like about the shirt?

Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
very nice!
smile.gif

dk123

Reaction score
It looks Navy to me in on my screen. I almost bought a suit just like this at the RL store recently. I don't recall even seeing one in black like it.

Felix Krull

Reaction score
No, I wouldn't wear brown shoes with it. Brown shoes with black suits are a no-no. Even if the suit is dark blue, it is too dark to pair with brown shoes, which go best with grays and lighter blues.

dbtbandit67

Reaction score
those are good pictures of the jacket, and that shirt/tie is very good, it goes well with the jacket. ralph lauren is my favorite designer. but i think we should see pictures further away, it is way too close. i'd like to see how the entire jacket/pants/shirt/tie combination all looked together. this would help as girls won't only be looking at your jacket, they'll be looking at the entire thing. and this includes your shoes, and any other accessories you're going to include with the outfit.

but i have a feeling it's going to look good. nice pickup!

James Bond

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Midnight navy indeed. Who made the tie?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
No, I wouldn't wear brown shoes with it. Brown shoes with black suits are a no-no. Even if the suit is dark blue, it is too dark to pair with brown shoes, which go best with grays and lighter blues.

Crap. Now I need a new pair of black shoes...
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by dbtbandit67
those are good pictures of the jacket, and that shirt/tie is very good, it goes well with the jacket. ralph lauren is my favorite designer. but i think we should see pictures further away, it is way too close. i'd like to see how the entire jacket/pants/shirt/tie combination all looked together. this would help as girls won't only be looking at your jacket, they'll be looking at the entire thing. and this includes your shoes, and any other accessories you're going to include with the outfit.

but i have a feeling it's going to look good. nice pickup!

Thanks - wifey still isn't home, so can't take far away pics. Maybe tomorrow as she'll be tired tonight.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by James Bond
Midnight navy indeed. Who made the tie?

Valentino.
smile.gif

izlat

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
Thanks, izlat. What don't you like about the shirt?

smile.gif

Oh - it's not that I don't like the shirt. I meant I would not wear this shirt with this suit because I'd pefer this suit with a (maybe boring to some) solid shirt and the tie. I understand mixing patterns and all - it just does not look as good to me as a solid with this suit

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by izlat
Oh - it's not that I don't like the shirt. I meant I would not wear this shirt with this suit because I'd pefer this suit with a (maybe boring to some) solid shirt and the tie. I understand mixing patterns and all - it just does not look as good to me as a solid with this suit

Ah, I see. I may try on a light blue solid to see how it looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads