• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New shoes

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Hey! Some of you might remember me from the Suit tailored post. In the picture I had on really bad shoes. Which I got rid of today. Now, looking at my shoe rack. I only have a pair of Navy Blue boat shoes, Clarks beeswax desert shoes and a Pair of AE Clifton Walnut colored shoes. I don't wear suits often. Probably once every 2-3 months for an event or meeting with a new client. (I'm a graphic designer, so I tend to take on projects that last 2-3 months). I only have a grey suit at the moment. Since people said I couldn't save that black suit—I'm not counting it. I do aim to have a custom made suit over the summer in navy blue. I mostly wear khaki's, chinos and jeans, all slim fit. Polo's and button downs, with a blazer if I'm going out. Now I don't know what pair to get next that would be best suited for me? I was thinking a pair of Dark brown Double strap monks. But then I think to myself that I have no pair of black shoes? but I don't know If I even need one yet, since I don't have any black pants or suit. This is all to confusing. I would like to eventually get a good shoe rotation, but I need to get my staples down. What would you get if you were in my shoes? No pun intended.
smile.gif
Which color? style? Thanks in advance! I've been checking these forums for months and the information is great and informative but It can leave you confused of what you need, seems like everyone's concept of "Wardrobe Staples" is different, and some day I can weigh in on mine.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Jkhan82

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
dark brown
laces not monks
blutcher not balmoral
if you're a bit of a dandy then do a wingtip, broguing, etc.

that will work with your navy or grey suit as well as khakies. It's close enough to formal to go with suits and casual enough for biz casual.

ah they all look great. I'm def going to have to grab one of these this week, might keep the broguing tamed. Thanks for the quick and helpful information!

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Find the Allen Edmonds guy on the B&S forum as his prices seem excellent. I am likely to be ordering from him myself over the next several days.

I would get yourself to the AE store in NY and get yourself properly measured and their recommendations for which last would be best on you.

jrk264

Reaction score
The Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue in mahogany is a good choice for under control brogue-ing. The nice thing about AE is that they're available in a large variety of sizes and widths, I second the recommendation to try them in on person to find your size and then order online (usually I like to support stores that have good customer service and help me find stuff that fits, but when the cost is nearly $100 more, it's hard to justify... I'll usually buy a belt or something just to throw them some business).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads