• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New overcoat - Should I sell it or keep it? Poal added!

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just kopped this ridiculously sick Tom Ford overcoat - which is exactly what I wanted for fall/winter - only thing is that it is a 48R - same as my suits. Ideally a 50R would have been it, but this was the only one they had anywhere.

Pics below are of it over my jacket (which is how I would wear in the winter, albeit with a heavier fabric) and its a little tight. I love it and want to make it work, but what would you do?

Its an ultra heavyweight wool in a black herringbone with velvet chesterfield collar.
17c8e149.jpg

451e9d9c.jpg

LaoHu

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
I love it and want to make it work, but what would you do?

I would not dare gain a pound.

literasyme

Reaction score
Interesting that you'd have to size up to make it fit -- that suggests that it's not designed to be worn over a suit, no? In any case, I agree that it looks a little tight in the body but the shoulders seem to fit just fine, so maybe having your tailor let it out a bit is the answer. The sleeves also need an extra .5 inch or so.

Oh, and I hate the flapped chest pocket, but that's neither here nor there, obviously.

alastiar

Reaction score
Too tight to wear on top of a suit, other than that, if ur not gonna be wearing a suit underneth, it look juz perfect. ... oh and that flapped chest pocket. OMG it hurt my eyes. If ur gonna keep it, make sure to have it taken out or something.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, it's too tight. And why don't we see any part of your jacket underneath hugging your collar or some of the lapel?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from the flaring vent I think it looks good, as long as it's not too uncomfortable I would keep it...

Also, an overcoat should be the same size as your suits, i.e. if you wear a 48R suit you should wear a 48R overcoat. This will generally have the extra necessary ease to wear over a suit of the same size. Of course though, the sizing can still vary greatly between differents brands...

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spooker, I think it is too small for you, hate to rain on your parade but you'd be better off if you get rid of it. Look at your chest and waist, chest gaping and waist is too nipped. Are you wearing a sport coat underneath?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks guys - I know its a little snug, but this is straight OTR - Im having my tailor look at it to see if they can let anything out a bit. The pics are with the thin linen SC I wore in todays WAYWRN underneath. I originally too, wasnt keen on the flapped chest pocket but I think its a little more pronounced because its pulling some. Its like the one on the tweed TF coat Im selling now - not a bad detail in my book, just a little something unusual. I also agree sleeves need to come down 1/2". Below are pics sans SC underneath :
7d3547aa.jpg
5610b3a6.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few years back I made the mistake of keeping a Prada overcoat that fit similarly. I ended up wearing it for social occasions with at most a sweater underneath because my heavy f/w jackets created a too tight fit. Hence I suggest returning the coat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads