• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

new member/new suit

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. (again? I think I remember your username..)

Seems to fit you pretty well. The beef I have (understand, this is constructive criticism) would be with the lapel being pressed above the top button - I would try steaming that out and see if you can get it to roll a bit better. Once you do that, though, the vest is going to look awfully high, because it is. Not "wrong", I don't think, just not my preference.

And that's not really my favorite color, but it's not offensive.

What kind of suit is it?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
are the jacket sleeves hemmed at an odd angle? looks that way. this jacket looks like it would be better button at the top since there really isnt any lapel roll to the 2nd

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Flat-fronts are trendy now, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with pleats. I prefer flat-fronts generally, but I often go with pleats for suits.

Overall, I think your suit looks nice. Good job showing cuff, though the sleeves seem a bit sharply angled. What made you pick a three-piece? I like them myself, but they're not seen often these days.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, you might want to have the cuffs redone to make them level. That should be a pretty simple operation.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the way that this suits looks on you (other than the jacket sleeves, which as everyone else said, seem to be cut at a wierd angle). I really think that us younger guys should look more into wearing three piece suits. I think that this is one style that would be pretty cool to bring back from the old days.

The color of this suit is kind of interesting too. It's a little light to be considered navy so it might not work well for say interviews or business situations with high gravitas, but I think it works for ordinary days at the office and for nights out.

If I ever get a suit MTM I'm definitely going to get it made as a 3 piece.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with what's been, said-but still pretty damn sharp.

One concern-It appears like you have tied a Full Windsor Knot with a button-down shirt. Promise me you will never, EVER do this again! The width and thickness of the knot makes the collar buckle and is a sure way to de-dapperfy yourself.

Is the suit for business or pelasure BTW?

youngtrane

Reaction score
thanks for all the replys! The suit is actually quite a bit darker than what it looks like in the pictures~a signal that I need a new digital camera! The cuffs look a bit strange as well, but that's just the angle and my pose. I plan to use it for performances/formals at school and hopefully for interviews coming up in the fall.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it looks like the lapel is rolled to the top button. unless a steaming reveals otherwise, I'd button that top button. it's complimentary to the high vest anyway.

and I agree with MrDaniels about the tie/collar.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MrDaniels, I was under the impression that you should have no tie, regardless of the knot size, with a button down collar. Am I right in thinking this?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by javyn
MrDaniels, I was under the impression that you should have no tie, regardless of the knot size, with a button down collar. Am I right in thinking this?

The Italians would disagree with this ... and so would I. I generally prefer a spread collar with city suits, but wouldn't hesitate to wear a buttondown and tie with, say, tweed or a blazer. (Also, don't let the Trads get wind of this.)

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
The Italians would disagree with this ... and so would I. I generally prefer a spread collar with city suits, but wouldn't hesitate to wear a buttondown and tie with, say, tweed or a blazer. (Also, don't let the Trads get wind of this.)

DocHolliday is wise as always. I would sat that it is not a great idea to wear a button-down collar with a business suit, although I see men in Manhattan do it all the time. If you are going to do it however, I would only do it with a four-in-hand knot.

By the way, I like the shoes a lot...will definately make you stand out from most of the other college students.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What? No one's berated him for his lack of pocket square yet?

(It's OK; I don't own any either, and I doubt this forum will make me start...)

Looks pretty sharp, except that in that second picture there's a bit of what appears to be your tie sticking out from under vest _and_ jacket. I'd avoid that myself. In three-piece suits I sometimes tie my ties much shorter than I ever would in a two-piece for precisely that reason.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
Looks pretty sharp, except that in that second picture there's a bit of what appears to be your tie sticking out from under vest _and_ jacket. I'd avoid that myself. In three-piece suits I sometimes tie my ties much shorter than I ever would in a two-piece for precisely that reason.

Yeah, I try to avoid that "peek-a-boo" effect myself. If you promise not to tell ANY of my business associates, I'll tell you a little trick: Pull the bottom of the tie just a little bit to the right or the left. You can place the angle of the bottom of the tie flush with the angle of the bottom vest points as they angle away from the bottom button (which God willing you did NOT button. Your tie will rest there, all neat and dapper for the day.
smile.gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's a good trick. I may try it. But tying the tie Gomer Pyle-style (as someone called it in another thread) also works.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads