• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Girlfriend wants to tell me how to dress...

Alpha11

Reaction score
OK, now my turn:

First: your attitude is not only very pretentious but also lacks merit. You have add nothing to this conversation other than what you do for a living. Which to me is not very impressive at this point.

Second: your perception of self is way over the top and based solely on an inflated ego. The OP wanted advise as to how handle his significant other encroachment on his style preference. Your use of vocabulary is also another failed attempt to sound cool. Homie and kid come on now, that sounds about as dated as cassette tapes and 5.0 Mustangs.

Third: your sense of style can only the category of a costume or as I have already stated before a desperate cry for attention.

Fourth: I do not know the rules? Wow, that is just as comical as your sense of style. For the record my style has been accepted by many of people: Usher, Jill Scott ,Chris Webber, Vince Carter, Francisco Lindor, Richard Greer, and countless political, judicial, and financial professionals. Who have you dress besides yourself and you have not done that very well if you ask me.

Fourth: A breakdown of your photo is as follows,

- Your waist coat is too short and ill- fitting. The fact that I can see your shirt from the bottom of the vest give validity to my assessment.

- Your jeans are not only way too baggy but also reminds me of Fresh Prince as well but not Carlton but rather Will Smith/ The Fresh Prince and how he wore his jeans back into the hip hip days. BTW the rap group Kriss Kross said they want their pants back along with financial compensation for stealing their style.

-Keeping in step with the "lines" of your jeans or the lack thereof. I have to say the cuffs at the bottom are nothing "short" of comical. Speaking of short, that is exactly what those cuff make you look like. Meaning it breaks up the sight "line" from your hip to the shoes and gives off a vibe that says either I am to small for my pants or my tailor got my measurements mixed up with someone of 6'6 or taller in height.

-Your shirt is yet another misguided attempt at trying to be a grown man but, have not figure things out yet to the point as to where people can actually take you serious. Contrasting cuffs and collar with jeans sends all the wrong message and just looks juvenile.

-Your shoes..well they are Chuck Taylors I should really just stop there. I mean nothing can say Mr. TryHard like pair of Chuck Taylors with a dress shirt on.

Fifth: The Carlton vest of mine is actually a custom made silk and cotton blend from the
Vitale Barberis mill.

My suit is also a MTM suit in 150 super 100 from the Drago mill that I had made by Brooks Brothers with their Golden Fleece full canvas construction.

My shirt is custom as well and again by Brooks Brooks made from Sea Island cotton in a French cuff.

Cufflinks are by Tiffany & Co with Mother of Pearl in .996 Sterling silver.

Shoes are Crockett & Jones Benchmade.

Additionally, I am pretty sure I have a little bit more rhythm in my step than Carlton Banks. However, if not, this has nothing to do with dancing in harmony with music but rather having harmony in the way you dress. By the look of what you have on I cannot say you have mastered that melody either.

Last edited:

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s some hardcore styleforum insults.
OK, now my turn:

First: your attitude is not only very pretentious but also lacks merit. You have add nothing to this conversation other than what you do for a living. Which to me is not very impressive at this point.

Second: your perception of self is way over the top and based solely on an inflated ego. The OP wanted advise as to how handle his significant other encroachment on his style preference.

Third: your sense of style can only the category of a costume or as I have already stated before a desperate cry for attention.

Fourth: A breakdown of your photo is as follows,

- Your waist coat is too short and ill- fitting. The fact that I can see your shirt from the bottom of the vest give validity to my assessment.

- Your jeans are not only way too baggy but also reminds me of Fresh Prince as well but not Carlton but rather Will Smith/ The Fresh Prince and how he wore his jeans back into the hip hip days. BTW the rap group Kriss Kross said they want their pants back along with financial compensation for stealing their style.

-Keeping is line with your jeans or the lack thereof, I have to say the cuffs at the bottom are nothing "short" of comical. Speaking of short, that is exactly what those cuff make you look like. Meaning it breaks up the sight line from your hip to the shoes and gives off a vibe that says either I am to small for my pants or my tailor got my measurements mixed up with someone of 6'6 or taller in height.

-Your shirt is yet another misguided attempt at trying to be a grown man but, have not figure things out yet to the point as to where people can actually take you serious. Contrasting cuffs and collar with jeans sends all the wrong message and just looks juvenile.

-Your shoes..well they are Chuck Taylors I should really just stop there. I mean nothing can say Mr. TryHard like pair of Chuck Taylors with a dress shirt on.

Fifth: The Carlton vest of mine is actually a custom made silk and cotton blend from the
Vitale Barberis mill.

My suit is also a MTM suit in150 super 100 from the Drago mill that I had made by Brooks Brothers with their Golden Fleece full canvas construction.

My shirt is custom as well and again by Brooks Brooks made from Sea Island cotton in a French cuff.

Cufflinks are by Tiffany & Co with Mother of Pearl in .996 Sterling silver.

Shoes are Crockett & Jones Benchmade.

Additionally, I am pretty sure I have a little bit more rhythm in my step than Carlton Banks. However, if not, this has nothing to do with dancing in harmony with music but rather having harmony in the way you dress. By the look of what you have on I cannot say you have mastered that melody either.

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
lolzzz.gif

Your turn? lol. i haven't even showed my hand.

but you drop a lot of names and brands for a guy who can't dress himself.
no, really. you can't. i can think of maybe 30 members who could out dress you for the price of a chicken bucket.

would you like some help? or are you happy to believe you can educate the world to dress like you?

I told the OP to be himself. and enjoy it. backing up my position with results.
you feel yourself to be superior? that you can come in and tell a guy who didn't ask for it, how to dress? are you sane?
the stance you have taken. is ridiculous. also disrespectful to the OP. and all who read it.
this is his thread.

And challenging me is a noob move.

because guys like me? own guys like you. the workers, who get to the top.
you scramble to get paid for telling them how to dress.

"If I were still in the industry I highly doubt you would be my target audience or client. Now, the CEO and other senior leadership of your company would be well within my target market."

no, the rich guys i know are not interested in dressing like Bill Nye.
There are better things to waste money on.

try to "instruct" people. and make them listen.
They won't. and your attempts to impress fall on def ears.

I haven't seen the OP's fits. so no critique is offered. or deserved.
and i'm sure his style is fine.

Last edited:

jaxenro

Reaction score
LOL

This is fun. Let’s put it to a vote the classic B.B. suit versus the jean pants and vest I wonder if we can do polls on this forum

Last edited:

Thrift Vader

Forum Mechanic
Reaction score
Well, actually. . .

His vest is too long, a vest should not drop below the belt. rather fit correctly. as a vest should.
and his jacket does not fit. neither in the shoulders or the arms. his posture is poor. and his pants ill fitting. are those pleats?

if you are going to tell people how to dress without them asking? at least know how to do it. this guy in the tight jacket and long vest doesn't.

oh, and i did say more than once i was wearing Nike Vandals. -you even quoted me on it. with your attitude?

i'm sure you are popular.

Last edited:

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This threak has delivered

Alpha11

Reaction score
My vest is actually hitting exactly at my belt line as it should be. The fact that you could not tell that due to my posture is telling.

My suit jacket is yet another thing you can't seem to get right. You must of missed the part where I stated it was MTM. I guess I can add the lack of reading comprehension to your growing list of incompetencies.

You could never own me in anything you do or have done in your life. Even if you lived to be 200 years old you would still be left wanting. There is a reason why my screen name is what it is. I lead rather than follow and have always been that way. Sua Sponte!

You try so hard to be more than what you are which it evident in all that you have posted thus far. You were the one who came into the thread and started to run your mouth and now, you are still running your mouth.

You have been told many of times and not just by me but others on this forum about your attitude and lack of style. The only logical conclusion is that you have to be either mentally handicapped or too full of yourself. Either one is unacceptable!

I do not care who or what you are ******* as you are not ******* with anything in my life. Additionally, I could care less where you travel to as I most likely been there, done that and have the tee shirt to show for it. Speaking of t-shirts..I could be wearing just that and nothing else and still be better dresses than you.

As far as what you make and how you spend it.. .well the way you dress says a lot about you and your financial picture. Either way I am not interested or impressed as I am sure if we played big bank take little bank you would be paying well into your retirement funds.

Are there members on this site that might be better than me? I am sure there are many on here however, you are not one of them. Furthermore, I would have more respect for them than you do and as such would not come on here and be as arrogant as you have.

Remember, you were the one that hijacked this thread and started putting people down as far as their abilities. Try not to get this confused again next time.

I have made no comments to the OP that can been seen as disrespectful toward him. This has already been established however, I believe your "incompetencies" are taking effect again.

My record and clientele speaks for itself and is tangible almost every time I turn on the TV as I confronted with my work and a happy client.

The friendships/relationships I have build over my time in the industry will be something I will look back on with great fondness. The "names" I dropped were just a small sample of the amount of people that I have worked with. BTW I have the photos to prove who I worked with whereas you only have the photos that shows what does not work.

Last edited:

Alpha11

Reaction score
Alpha11 curious what did you think of the B.B. MTM?
I enjoyed the whole experience as I had never been to the Madison Avenue store before. We knew a lot of the same people in the fashion, banking and music industry. Therefore the atmosphere was very laid-back.

I knew my fit profile ( Regent) and measurements before hand however, he was very accommodating in explaining BB options to me.

It was more of two industry professionals having a great conversation that happened to evolve into the sell of clothing.

As far as the quality of their MTM suits are concerned? I would say they are pretty good as the construction was nice. I had the ability to choose from a few mills that I was very familiar with, as such I knew exactly what I was getting.

I ended up getting a three piece Harris Tweed suit, a navy blue suit and two sport coats that were made of Alpaca and Cashmere from a mill name Snowflake which I believe was Gladson commission for Brooks Brothers. I do not believe they have that fabric anyone but, boy do I love the feel and look of them. The shirts I still get a few every now and then and have had no problem thus far as the fit and construction are very well made.

The only sad part is that my current profession does not allow me to wear a lot of the things I use to wear. However, once a clothes horse always a clothes horse..lol!

Anyway, if you are looking to take that path and give them a try, let me know and I will try my best to give you all the info I have along with someone in Brooks Brothers to talk with.

jaxenro

Reaction score
Thanks more of an academic question for me. I work for B.B. on the IT side and actually do a lot of MTM reporting from the timing and revenue side mostly trying to help streamline the supply chain process to eliminate delays in getting the product delivered faster. But it is helpful to put a human element to the numbers

Alpha11

Reaction score
Thanks more of an academic question for me. I work for B.B. on the IT side and actually do a lot of MTM reporting from the timing and revenue side mostly trying to help streamline the supply chain process to eliminate delays in getting the product delivered faster. But it is helpful to put a human element to the numbers
If you ever get a black and white Prince of Wales with red over check flannel fabric that I can make a 3 piece suit with you know where to find me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads