• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Classic Records Clarity Non-Magnetic Vinyl

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Something fairly unique happened today in the audio realm that was fun. I was selected for a comparison test of a new clear vinyl LP formulation of Side A of Blue Train by Classic Records (45 rpm). The Clarity record was created to remove the magnetic properties of standard vinyl which gets magnetized via carbon addition.

Removing the magnetic carbon lowers the noise floor. Classic sent me two records, one standard pressing and one exactly the same but with the new Clarity vinyl.

Here are my listening notes:

I just heard the two 45 rpm pressings of the Blue Train cut on the Scoutmaster with Sonata cart feeding an Audio Research PH3SE.

First, the black 200 gram pressing sounded really fine with nice amount of detail and a nice deep soundstage. Very nice to have this in my collection.

Second, the almost clear but slight greyish Clarity vinyl. Looks cool, sounds even better. I'm hearing the following things which I imagine come from the non-magnetic vinyl:

>> More detail all around. Hear more of the strings on the walking bass, and a ton of detail on the sax including hall which I did not hear much of before.

>> Quieter background.

>> Better dynamics.

>> Better layering and isolation of the instrments.

>> More realistic piano tone, sort of a bigger image across the keyboard width.

This is a nice upgrade for Classic Records and the record is quite stylish. It will take some time to adjust to using a record brush on something other than jet black but it's really no biggie.

RatherAnOddball

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the review, info and link, A.F. Very much appreciated. Once I replace the stylus on my cartridge, I'll order a few of these records myself.

I hope that I'm not derailing your thread by asking, but I rarely encounter anyone very knowledgeable on this subject; could you please tell me of any other leads in the same vein?
I've bought a ton of MFSL, for example, but know of little else to look for. I'm very curious just how many other studios out there are offering either improved pressings of old recordings or improved methods of pressing new recordings.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you listen to it blind? Have your wife or servant put the record on for you.

This reminds me of those green CD markers in the 1980s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads