• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Borrelli Dark Brown WingTips

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the Borrelli boutique today coming from the Barney's sale. Their Fall/Winter shoes for 2006 are noticeably cheaper than previous versions ($675) and not as nice as the previous Mantellassi versions. Latest editions are done by Peluso. The eponymous labeled Bergdorf versions are nicer and $100 cheaper.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Stopped by the Borrelli boutique today coming from the Barney's sale. Their Fall/Winter shoes for 2006 are noticeably cheaper than previous versions ($675) and not as nice as the previous Mantellassi versions. Latest editions are done by Peluso. The eponymous labeled Bergdorf versions are nicer and $100 cheaper.

They are done by Santoni..... I thought?

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not good, I heard that they were going Santoni also, which is great if they can keep Santoni to "Conservative" styling and offerings as FAM quality/limited edition quality. You would think with Kiton making great overpriced shoes that Borrelli would want to play ball also.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's not good, I heard that they were going Santoni also, which is great if they can keep Santoni to "Conservative" styling and offerings as FAM quality/limited edition quality. You would think with Kiton making great overpriced shoes that Borrelli would want to play ball also.
Hey, I'm just the messenger. The Peluso aren't a bad pair of shoes per se, just not in the elite company of the higher end Mantellassis from previous seasons or the rumored Santonis. I would also like to report that my Peluso's took their maiden voyage to the Metropolitan Opera this past weekend--I might need to add a thin tongue pad for a perfect fit, but otherwise they are very comfortable with moderate-good arch support.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by norcaltransplant
Hey, I'm just the messenger. The Peluso aren't a bad pair of shoes per se, just not in the elite company of the higher end Mantellassis from previous seasons or the rumored Santonis. I would also like to report that my Peluso's took their maiden voyage to the Metropolitan Opera this past weekend--I might need to add a thin tongue pad for a perfect fit, but otherwise they are very comfortable with moderate-good arch support.
The Santonis are not a rumor. The Borrellis that I have seen recently are from the Santoni Fatto Coi Piedi line and are of average quality at best. I do not get the love here for Santoni, they make one or two shoes that are nice and most are kind of junky IMO.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
The Santonis are not a rumor. The Borrellis that I have seen recently are from the Santoni Fatto Coi Piedi line and are of average quality at best. I do not get the love here for Santoni, they make one or two shoes that are nice and most are kind of junky IMO.

I believe that we all love the Santoni FAM line...

I compared the Santoni FAM to the Sutor Mantellassi Handmades.

Santoni wins hands down, IMO.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris "Italia"
I believe that we all love the Santoni FAM line...

I compared the Santoni FAM to the Sutor Mantellassi Handmades.

Santoni wins hands down, IMO.

Apparently everybody but me. I think that they are fatto coi piedi.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apparently everybody but me. I think that they are fatto coi piedi.

I've got your back on this Matt, I'm not much of a fan either. IMHO, they reside in the same neighborhood as Berluti, Zilli and Stefano Ricci.

Chris "Italia"

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aportnoy
I've got your back on this Matt, I'm not much of a fan either. IMHO, they reside in the same neighborhood as Berluti, Zilli and Stefano Ricci.

Ricci shoes are made by Artioli.

Which I don't care for their leathers.

Too Papery for my taste.

I don't care much for Berluti; made by StefanoBi (RTW). I never like their flashy colors.....

A Harris

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hmm, I have to dissent a bit as I like the Santoni line. But the best shoes from them are the top-of-the-line handmades in the more conservative styles, and the midrange Goodyear welted shoes which are an excellent value. A lot of the orange sock shoes are a bit of a joke though, I agree.

Soph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Harris
Hmm, I have to dissent a bit as I like the Santoni line. But the best shoes from them are the top-of-the-line handmades in the more conservative styles, and the midrange Goodyear welted shoes which are an excellent value. A lot of the orange sock shoes are a bit of a joke though, I agree.

Do you have an example of a conservative style?

I've had a pair or two FAM, the quality is excellent but I sold mine off as I've been refining my style as they were too ostentatious for me and were strictly business casual and even then they just didn't seem elegant/refined etc-- just a matter of personal taste I guess. Are the Borrelli (Santoni) conservative and decent looking?. It was a learning experience for me in developing my own style. I do like one of their classic models with the sligtly rounded toe. This one:
2akn19h.jpg

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Matt,

What was the price tag on the Santoni's for Borrelli? The shoes in the Borrelli store were $675 and looked very much like the Peluso's sold at BG. Slim, rounded lasts with slightly bevelled waists, and brass tacking at the toe. I can't remember if the contstruction was goodyear or Blake rapid.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As a fan of Santoni's I also would like to have my voice heard in favor of the brand. For sure, most of their shoes are a planet away from conservative, but as a matter of personal taste I do like a lot of their FAM line, and even some in the orange sock line. Of course in a working environment these shoes might not fit in, but for events that are more casual or social in nature, I find them perfectly alright.

With that being said, I must add that their casual line looks sh*tty.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i need to add as well that santoni fam for pound per pound comparison just seems to edge out all other makes i have come across so far. vass , eg, jl, ae, or any other shoe i have seen.
im talking about the minimum $950 fam models found at nordstrom or more, mind you.
i have no regard for their sub classic lines.

decadence, is the word that comes to my mind when i dream of fam

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads