• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New AEs Damaged?

toothandnail

Reaction score
Hi. Newbie here trying to pick up some nicer shoes.
I'm on my second pair of AEs after the first ones I received had a number of black spots on them and were too small.
The surface on the ones I have received now look great to me, but there are some questions I have about the welt stitching.

I understand with the 360 welt you can get inconsistencies like this which is tolerable.

But the left side of the heel seems to have welt stitching that almost goes off the welt and sole.

It's a bit hard to see in these picture unless you look full sized, but it also looks like there are a few exposed cuts in the leather on the upper.

I'm guessing this will cause problems when it comes time to re-sole?

Even just typing this out I'm pretty sure I'm sending these back, which is disappointing. Is AE quality control this bad normally?

toothandnail

Reaction score
These are firsts. Thanks for the input, initially I was a bit hesistant having tried two pairs already; however, I went to a store that had seconds / clearance of different styles just to inspect the difference and they all had nearly perfect stitching in comparison. These are definitely going back.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E quality control can be shaky at times, but they make it up with excellent customer service.

ThomGault

Reaction score

AE quality control can be shaky at times, but they make it up with excellent customer service.

Your idea of customer service e must differ from mine. To me, "excellent customer service" entails not sending defective shoes which your customer is forced to return while waiting for a refund or replacement.

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your idea of customer service e must differ from mine. To me, "excellent customer service" entails not sending defective shoes which your customer is forced to return while waiting for a refund or replacement.

I was referring to how they react to their ****-ups. I agree that they lack in manufacturing and quality control, but if you complain they work hard to make you happy again. I learned to appreciate it when I recently dealt with a certain Spanish manufacturer of fame, which also lacks consistency in quality, but makes things worse by trying to solve complaints by ignoring them or talking them away.

Last edited:

SonnyUte

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even if you don't complain, they try to make you happy. Case in point: I was just in an AE store recently. The salesperson wouldn't sell me the first or second pairs of 5th Avenues in walnut she pulled off the shelves, though they looked fine to me. The finish had "too many streaks." She was more picky than I am

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads