• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neimans/Suit purchase

stevo4

Reaction score
I may be in the market for a nice suit in the very near future for an upcoming presentation, so i went over to NM's to investigate. I haven't owned a suit in many years, just a couple of Blazer/jackets that match well with my shirts/pants/ties.

One of the sales staff had me try on a couple of different jackets but they didn't fit well across my chest. I should add that i was hoping to keep the price range around $12-1300 for a suit. And we started in the Dolce Gabbana section and one other specific maker's jacket (name forgotten). Then he brought me back to the regular suit department and tried on a Zegna that was priced at $1999. The jacket was a 3 button and fit much, much better across my chest.

I was not aware of the different levels of Zegna suits or the materials. The jacket was a basic dark Charcoal.

Are there certain questions i should ask the sales person about this jacket or any other jacket when i'm spending this much? Does any of it really matter as long as it ultimately fits properly on me? I've never spent that much on a suit before, and don't get to wear a suit more than 5-10 times a year.

Thoughts?

stevo

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Man, for 2 Gs, isn't there someone in LA who can do a MTM? Not that the higher line Zegnas aren't nice, but it seems like you could do better than that.

stevo4

Reaction score
Quite possibly. I have very little experience with suits and just went to NM as a starting point. I'd rather spend less (obviously) but i do only want to buy at a Brick n Morter rather than over the net.

Thanks,

steve

pfr0g

Reaction score
I am not sure of his address but I think this is it:

Ian Daniels
171 Pier Avenue - #213
Santa Monica, CA 90405

Proprietor of shopthefinest.com. Ian has a B&M store in CA; you should definitely pay him a visit. He can do VERY well for under 2k there (Brioni, Attolini, Borrelli).

billiebob

Reaction score
If the suit is an "Ermenegildo Zegna" then it's from the main line or above. I can't remember if "Ermenegildo Zegna Couture" is stilll made or not.

If the label just says "Zegna" then this is a lower-line suit, not a good deal at 2Gs.

If it says Ermenegildo Zegna "Soft" then run away! I don't think these are made anymore.

A fe words about cut: Most of the Zegna suits I've seen have heavily padded shoulders are are quite boxy. These looks great on some people, not so good on others. The other extreme is a Ralph Lauren Black label or even a Polo Ralph Lauren, which has some waist suppression and very light shoulder padding. Which style looks good on you depends on your body shape. Corneliani and Canali are intermediate in padding and waist suppression, with Canali being closer to Zegna and Corneliani being closer to Polo.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by billiebob
A fe words about cut: Most of the Zegna suits I've seen have heavily padded shoulders are are quite boxy.

This is not my experience at all, my very recent Zegnas have very minimal padding. This is especially true when I compare them to my Canali...I think the Canali has twice the padding. I actually went up a size for the Zegna, they have a slimmer cut as well.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zegna has a lot of models, and not all models are carried by all stores. In other words, forget the categorization and wear what fits your bod and your budget.

stevo4

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I certainly want something that looks sharp and fits me properly. I'm not really overweight so much as have a broad chest. I am willing to pay for quality but would prefer not to over pay too. I live about 10 minutes from Ian Daniels and will check the place out.

Steve

horton

Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevo4
Quite possibly. I have very little experience with suits and just went to NM as a starting point. I'd rather spend less (obviously) but i do only want to buy at a Brick n Morter rather than over the net.

Thanks,

steve

For the amount you're talking about, I'd want to love the piece (not just be OK with it).

Also, just food for thought in case you were unaware, but there are handful of net entities that enjoy sterling reputations here that can probably set you up with something better for less money.

virtual clothes horse
ehaberdasher and
worlds finest are three that immediately come to mind

stevo4

Reaction score
Thanks Horton, but in this case, it is worth it for me to support my local establishment and build a relationship as well as physically trying on the clothes prior to purchase. I buy a ton of things over the net, but i always have had a hard time with clothes, shoes, etc. and end up having to return them (a pain).

Steve

stevo4

Reaction score
The address is a PO Box! The location is right next to Main Street so i figured it may be an actual store. Doh! Maybe i'll try the Tel. # and see if they only get in individual pieces or if there is an actual location...

Steve

billiebob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
This is not my experience at all, my very recent Zegnas have very minimal padding. This is especially true when I compare them to my Canali...I think the Canali has twice the padding. I actually went up a size for the Zegna, they have a slimmer cut as well.

Good to know. Mine is around 3 years old. It's also huge in the chest for the given shoulder size (42R).

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stevo4
I may be in the market for a nice suit in the very near future for an upcoming presentation, so i went over to NM's to investigate. I haven't owned a suit in many years, just a couple of Blazer/jackets that match well with my shirts/pants/ties.

One of the sales staff had me try on a couple of different jackets but they didn't fit well across my chest. I should add that i was hoping to keep the price range around $12-1300 for a suit. And we started in the Dolce Gabbana section and one other specific maker's jacket (name forgotten). Then he brought me back to the regular suit department and tried on a Zegna that was priced at $1999. The jacket was a 3 button and fit much, much better across my chest.

I was not aware of the different levels of Zegna suits or the materials. The jacket was a basic dark Charcoal.

Are there certain questions i should ask the sales person about this jacket or any other jacket when i'm spending this much? Does any of it really matter as long as it ultimately fits properly on me? I've never spent that much on a suit before, and don't get to wear a suit more than 5-10 times a year.

Thoughts?

stevo

I think you are paying too much for it. However, it may be in my mind, but the Zegna's I find at Neiman's are usually very nice and well made. I am not sure if they can or even do specify requirements but I have 4 jackets I have picked up at a first call or last call including a Zegna Couture that have been incredible and not typical zegna.

Maybe they are more specific or that I could just be
imagining it.

If it was me and you only plan on using 5 times a year , I would ask the sales person when the next sale was and ask them to notify you or hold it for you. I know our local Neiman's will do that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads