• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Needing help with sizing

KennyJo

Reaction score
Hi.

Yesterday I went to Jos.A.Bank looking for a suit for future interview (no pending interview at this moment).
The salesman there told me I needed to wear a size 42.
However, I normally wear size S or M shirt.
And a month ago, I went into the same Jos.A.Bank store and that time the salesman told me a size 38 would fit me.

I am totally confused about my size.
Can you give me some advice?

About my build:
My shoulders' width is about 19 inches and I am 5 feet 5 tall.
Not sure if my lower body matter, but I wear size 32x30 jeans (could fit in 30x30 if there is enough room for my thighs).

Some other questions that I would like to know:
How much should I spend on a suit excluding alternation?
Should I spend less on the interview suit so that I can get a better suit after I get a job?
Since my budget is very limited, is there any other store/site I can/should check on?

Thank you very much.

Last edited:

P12OFIT

Reaction score
Most SF members are likely to steer you away from Jos A Bank. If you have no pending interview at the moment, my advice would be to read (a lot) and learn about fit so that you understand what you are looking for before entering any establishment with intent to purchase. How much you should spend on a suit is a personal choice. It is hard to recommend other options without knowing your budget for a suit.

KennyJo

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Ideally, I would like to spend less than $300 on a suit so that I can have more money for alternation.
With my very limited budget, is going to the outlet store (I can drive to Philadelphia Premium Outlet, which has a Jos.A.Bank and Brooks Brothers store) a better option for me comparing to online store?

I have read some post about suit fitting and I have seen different picture describing about a good fitting suit.
But I am confused what I should pay more attention to, the shoulder or the chest?
Size 38 could be a little tight for my shoulder while size 42 has too much room for my waist and some room for my chest.
Since those two salesmen gave me two different size, I don't know who I should trust...

Last edited:

KennyJo

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing up this thread.

Just want to ask two more questions:
Is buying a pre-owned suit from eBay a good idea?
If no, what should I beware of?

Thanks.

P12OFIT

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

Ideally, I would like to spend less than $300 on a suit so that I can have more money for alternation.
With my very limited budget, is going to the outlet store (I can drive to Philadelphia Premium Outlet, which has a Jos.A.Bank and Brooks Brothers store) a better option for me comparing to online store?

I have read some post about suit fitting and I have seen different picture describing about a good fitting suit.
But I am confused what I should pay more attention to, the shoulder or the chest?
Size 38 could be a little tight for my shoulder while size 42 has too much room for my waist and some room for my chest.
Since those two salesmen gave me two different size, I don't know who I should trust...

I have actually been to those outlets and scored a few good purchases, but none of them were suit-related so I could not make a recommendation either way. I can tell you that if you go to a Brooks Brothers outlet you are likely to find 346 line suits which are their outlet line. Someone who has purchased suits from the 346 line and Jos A Bank might be able to give you a better opinion on that as I have not purchased suits from either store.

You should pay attention to both. Fit is all inclusive, not limited to one area more than another.

Sorry for bringing up this thread.

Just want to ask two more questions:
Is buying a pre-owned suit from eBay a good idea?
If no, what should I beware of?

Thanks.

Yes, buying a pre-owned suit from eBay can be a good idea. I have never done so, but you'd want to be careful of the condition (obviously).

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying a suit on eBay only makes sense if you know the exact measurements you need to find a well-fitting suit.

Learn how a suit should fit, and then go back.

It sounds like you have really broad shoulders for your frame. The BB salesman may be pushing for a too-tight suit, as is fashionable right now. The JAB salesman may be pushing for a too-loose suit, as was fashionable from the '80s to the early '00s.

Try a few other places, learn a little about how a suit should fit (clean lines everywhere), ask to see a size 40.

KennyJo

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I just went to a tailor today and he said I should wear 40..
Since he is a trustworthy tailor (according to Yelp) and he is very likely tailoring my suit, I should stick with his suggestion, right?
And no matter where I find my suit (eBay or JAB or BB), I should ignore the salesperson suggestion and get the size 40 suit?

Because of my tight budget, I think the eBay pre-owned suit may be my best option (I will still go to the outlet and see if I could find any luck).
Can you suggest me some questions I should ask the seller to ensure I can get a relative good suit?
Or anything I should pay attention to?

Also, I have seen a link to eBay (by FlyingMonkey) for searching for a pre-owned suit.
Is this link suitable for my need (entry level business job interview)?
When getting a pre-owned suit from eBay, what price range will be reasonable for me?

Thank you very much.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads