• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need some advice - Dress Shirts

mohwld

Reaction score
A recent move back to business dress leaves me without enough "tie" shirts. I've been to Nordstrom Rack and have found limited number in my size (15.5 x 32).

Assuming I can pay up to $70 or so, what should I look for?

It seems that BB can be had in this range, are they any good? What about Lands End? They claim their shirts are great quality, but the last time I owned one was in the early 90s.

Any suggestions? I need to buy 5-10 in a hurry!

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mohwld
A recent move back to business dress leaves me without enough "tie" shirts. I've been to Nordstrom Rack and have found limited number in my size (15.5 x 32). Assuming I can pay up to $70 or so, what should I look for? It seems that BB can be had in this range, are they any good? What about Lands End? They claim their shirts are great quality, but the last time I owned one was in the early 90s. Any suggestions? I need to buy 5-10 in a hurry!
if you have $700 ($70 x 10) to spend on shirts, here's what i would do. go to the mall and buy 5 van heusen shirts at $20 each. with the remaining $600, find a local custom tailor to make you some mtm shirts. you should be able to get 5 shirts, in your preferred style, that will fit you perfectly. the van heusens will tide you over until your real shirts arrive.

kshah

Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
if you have $700 ($70 x 10) to spend on shirts, here's what i would do. go to the mall and buy 5 van heusen shirts at $20 each. with the remaining $600, find a local custom tailor to make you some mtm shirts. you should be able to get 5 shirts, in your preferred style, that will fit you perfectly. the van heusens will tide you over until your real shirts arrive.

Why not use Jantzen or MyTailor instead?

Also, check Off Fifth Saks Outlet for their selection of $49 Robert Talbot Dress Shirts. They are running an additional 20% off this week as well.

skefferz

Reaction score
If you don't care for ironing, BB non-iron shirts (3 for $189) will suffice as long as you get them from a BB retail store.

You don't want the shirts with the 346 label from the BB outlet.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jantzen would be no good in these circumstances, as the OP is in a hurry. Ricky could take months to fill an order, particularly just after Chinese New Year.

I really like matadorpoeta's suggestion.

Other options:

T.M. Lewin will do you 4 shirts for just under $200. About another $15 each to have the sleeve shortened, or you could get it done yourself.

Charles Tyrwhitt has shirts in your size on clearance ranging from $70-80 each. You would need the sleeves shortened again, so maybe these are a little high for you.

Sierra Trading Post is usually worth a look, but they don't seem to have anything really cheap in your size right now.

goffeebeans

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kshah
Why not use Jantzen or MyTailor instead?

Difference is:
1) the amount of time it'll take to receive his order
2) Accuracy of measurements.
having a someone make a shirt according to OP self-measurements vs a shirtmaker using their measurements of the OP.

LegB4Wicket

Reaction score
You could try Jos. Banks. They have a massive sale on right now and thier shirts have a wide variety of sleeve lengths. Also, they have a free shipping offer using 2 dayUPS if you spend more than $175. I know they are are not in the top tier, but for $20 a shirt with the correct sleeve it's hard to go wrong. http://www.josbank.com/IWCatSectionV...ction_Id=15375

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've heard decent feedback about the Lands End custom shirts. Starting at only $49, it seems like a good option for your issue. Plus I think they have a return policy on them.

BTW, I had forgotten, but Lands' End is an affiliate, (which does not influence what I just said
lol8[1].gif
) so consider using the link in the support page (link under the logo at top).

soileauj

Reaction score
If you have a Century 21 near you, there are a good variety of deisgner shirts there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads