• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

need recomendations on motorcycle boots

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
I bought my first harley today, 2nd motorcycle, and i'm looking for a pair of motorcycle boots. I'm looking for something in brown leather, and something more than just your average looking boots. I know i'm not being very descriptive but maybe you guys can come up with some cool suggestions.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Frye Brando Engineer works for me. Leather soles can be a little scary if you get caught in the rain, and the rubber taps only help so much. Awesome boot though; you'll definitely look cooler than the average schlep on a Harley.

http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/19747632.html

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
i was definitely thinking about frye boots. those are pretty cool. I'm just worried about the sole. Not sure but i think i'm going to stick with some oil resistant soles.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look better after they're a little beaten up. I had mine re-heeled last spring, but I may go for a full Vibram type re-sole next time.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ I have a similar pair of PS/Triumph boots (paratrooper cap toe style) and they aren't one of my first choices for riding in. The leather is thin and they are too shiny for my taste. (With riding gear)

I wouldn't use leather soled boots in the rain but I often ride in my Frye Arkansas boots which look similar to the Brandos but are shorter. I got the tan and darkened them up with some dark brown shoe cream, and they look a lot better with jeans now. If I saw a decent deal on the dark brown color I might buy another pair, they're that cool. Perfect for the vintage-workwear thing, while remaining totally functional.

I also just picked up a couple pairs of deadstock steel toed Iron Age side-zip harness boots, which after they break in, I think they will be awesome. I am going to have my shoe guy tighten up the harness straps and then they will actually have decent ankle support as well, and conceivably the harness and the "metal thing" on the ankle might provide protection from having my ankle ground off in a crash. If I decide they are really keepers, I may have my guy stitch in some real armor at the shin and ankle.

highball

Reaction score

reprehensible

Reaction score
I don't ride a motorcycle, but I have a pair of Wesco engineer boots, and they are extremely nice. Very sturdy, and if you have them made to order they'll fit about as well as anything can.

ties@thedepot

Reaction score
lots of good recommendations guys, it's actually making it harder to decide! I picked up a 2001 Sportster 883. I got it from my boss for a really great price. he just picked up a road king and decided to sell it. It's got a custom tank, drag pipes, some really awesome vintage saddle bag and lots of extras. I also got all of the original stock parts as well. I've been looking for a sportster for a while and this one just fell in my lap. I haven't bought many clothes in the past couple of months so now i've got an excuse to get some boots and a jacket.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, I had a 01 Sportster 883 Custom a few years ago and it was a fun little bike. Nothing at the moment but I'd really like to get a Big Twin in the next few years...not sure which one yet.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by highball
I've heard many say you can't go wrong w/ Doc's. I just bought these and plan on using them for the MSF class:

https://www.shipmyboots.com/product-...60_M_r12153001

I've also seen them available in brown but i think both colors are being discontinued.

Docs are okay but after riding in them and having my foot bend backward under the footpeg when my toe touched the ground (because the sole has no shank and is pretty flexible) I rarely wear anything that flimsy anymore while riding, except maybe a quick hop. I've pretty much retired my Docs though, since I now have about 7-8 other pairs of better boots to ride in that fit, look, and function better.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
I've always liked the engineer boot look ... however, not many companies make boots that have motorcycle-specific features like plastic armor around the heel and shin.

The only one I found was the Frey Daytona Urban, which is made in Germany and unfortunately no longer sold in the US. Their exclusive US dealer (Helimot.com) no longer carries the Urban, even though Frey Daytona in Germany continues to manufacture them.

I managed to pick up a pair when Helimot was still selling them in the US, for around $299 US (new). The price has risen considerably since then, but it's the only engineer-type boot that I've found with armor specifically for motorcycling.

highball

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
Docs are okay but after riding in them and having my foot bend backward under the footpeg when my toe touched the ground (because the sole has no shank and is pretty flexible) I rarely wear anything that flimsy anymore while riding, except maybe a quick hop. I've pretty much retired my Docs though, since I now have about 7-8 other pairs of better boots to ride in that fit, look, and function better.

Good to know. I got the Doc's since I needed a pair of comfortable around-town beaters. I figure they should be good enough for the MSF class and I can buy something a lot sturdier and with some serious protection once I'm in a position to throw down a bunch of cash for a bike, insurance, helmet, gear, etc

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads