• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need last minute suit advice for a newcomer

turin39789

Reaction score
Hope these threads aren't so common that everyone hates them too much.

In a rush and need a new suit for a work trip leaving next weekend. My $100 ValueCity purchase from 8 years ago is showing it's wear. I asked these questions on a non-styleforum and got referred here, tried to cram a lot of answers into my first post so hope it still reads alright. I know I might get a better deal if I wasn't in a rush, and I'm generally a cheapo bargain hunter but splurge when needed.

Planning to step up a notch with this one, found some interesting options online but no time for that. Likewise a local tailor does a custom bespoke starting around 900, but more than I may be ready to sen and no time.

Found a 1818 brooks bros Madison pinstripe for $600, or a $895 Hart Schaffner Marx at Dillards men on sale for $450, both are half canvas and both promise to be tailored in time for the trip if I go back in today. Was looking at what I thought was a black pinstripe(wife and BB saleslady informed me was a navy pinstripe). Quick measurements had me fitting nicely into the 43 jacket, waist is around 37, 5'11" tall 29 yrs young. Not slender but not huge either, was thinking about getting a Fitzgerald if I go BB but didn't see a nice color with the markdown tag on it(though the sales flyer I got said all suits are at 40% right now).

The salesman at Dillards said the HSM was their top of the line but I didn't look at the line of the suit. I did notice a thread sticking out here and there on the pockets that have me leaning towards BB. I'm in Louisville Ky, mid sized city with no big outlets nearby I know of, we have JosAbank(currently 70% off sale) but haven't read much good about them.

I don't need to wear a suit daily as work lets us get by with t-shirts/jeans for day to day, but moving up in the company and will have occasion to clean it up some. I'd previously had a black suit as my standard for dressing up and funerals, with a 3 piece brown/olive that I really enjoyed. Will probably wind up in a two suit situation eventually.

Could also use some dress shirts. Work is jeans and t-shirts for a day to day, but moving up and need to dress up on occasion. No Iron cottons are 50% off at BB right now, more than I would normally spend on a shirt but I;ve been burned by my cheapness here before too. I've got some reasonably new and decent looking business casual wear(apt9 from kohls) that will do me for the first two days of this trip, might need another half dressy outfit(sportcoat maybe) for our first formal dinner. Suit will be for second night with spouses.

Last edited:

turin39789

Reaction score
Second question, just saw the "Ask a question thread for quick answer" Should I kill this thread and repost there?

Man I'm bad at this

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

go with the Brooks but get a Fitz or Regent fit.

At a 43 drop 6, the Madison will probably be a better fit. BB non-iron have a funny finish to them. I would go with their regular shirts. Despite what I just said, see how their slim fit looks on you, as BB shirts are cut quite baggy.

turin39789

Reaction score
At a 43 drop 6, the Madison will probably be a better fit. BB non-iron have a funny finish to them. I would go with their regular shirts. Despite what I just said, see how their slim fit looks on you, as BB shirts are cut quite baggy.

Any suggestion on another place to go for the shirts or just stay BB all the way? I'm not slender with my build(or diet) but I am hitting the weights 4 times a week and my chest is larger than my stomach ever gets. I think a slightly slim fit works

turin39789

Reaction score
Trieda regent and a Fitz, but stayed with the Madison on the advice of the staff and both felt off to me as well. Came to the conclusion that I'm too 'square' (my word) for the thinner styles. Got out for around $500 on the suit by snagging the BB store card, wimped out on the shirts as I need the basics(white,blue) and they were still up to 3 for $219 and I'm still getting sticker shock.

Ran down the the Dillards where I thought they were selling some nice ones for $40, but it was an off brand. Best fit was a Kenneth Cole slim fit no iron but it was at $60 and that has me back at BB price(assuming I can talk them into adding them to my original order and keeping the 15% for opening the card). Or just looking elsewhere.

If anyone is still out there - shirt recommendations? BB initially measured me as a 16.5/17 and 34, Dillards put me at 16 and 33, which is what fit in the Ken Cole. I have fairly broad shoulders/chest and I like a shirt that accents them by being a bit tight on the chest and then sticks on the sides without being glued on.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Go for the BB over the other options you have posted. Look for SF seller Steve Smith for deals on BB.

atlrus

Reaction score
Walk into the closest dept. store and get two 100% cotton shirts for ~$50. No need to spend $250 if youd be wearing each shirt once. If in the future the need for dress shirts arise, get them online for the fraction of the BB price.

turin39789

Reaction score
lastcall has some Neiman Marcus white in trim fit in striped, diamond or dobby texture for $49. Looking online as I have a week for these to show up, could even have one sent to hotel in Marcos Island to buy a few days

cbbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get the BB shirts. You are trying to look nice and a crappy shirt will ruin that.

I hate to ask, but what shoes are you planning on wearing?:uhoh:

turin39789

Reaction score
So I need a jacket for a casual night on the trip, and thought one of my old cheap suit jackets might work. Pulled out a rough grey suit that I always liked(picked up at a yard sale for not much years ago), and the label says Hickey Freeman.

Of course I know nothing about suits, but the material is fairly coarse, there is not a full liner in the suit and next to none in the pants besides the waist and pockets.

Will add a picture of the label when I get it off the phone.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads