• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need ideas for bespoke shirt

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm going to try harry rosen's bespoke service with a shirt tomorrow or saturday. I'm not looking for a dress shirt to wear with suits here. I want to have something made that's meant to be worn untucked with nice pants for a sharply tailored, yet casual look. My question is regarding the shirt tails. Do you guys think it would look better straight all around the bottom, or with very short shirt tails. I'm thinking the latter. Does anyone have any ideas for shirts they think would look really good? Oh and for any canadians who've had trouble finding borrelli, luciano barbera, or loro piana, I went in to the store tonight and was pleasantly surprised to find that they now stock those labels for the first time
smile.gif
I unfortunately didn't get there till 8pm and so I only had an hour to look around the store =/

Ranjeev

Reaction score
I prefer the look of short shirt tails myself. Which Harry Rosen are you referring to you? I assume that you are referring to the flagship store downtown. If you are ever in the Mississauga area, check out the Harry Rosen outlet at Heartland. You can find some great deals there but it can be a bit hit and miss.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was referring to the one in montreal, so the one in toronto would probably carry that stuff, although some of the smaller stores probably don't.

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Sorry about that GQGeek. I guess I am as guilty of taking a Toronto-centric view of Canada. I live in the suburbs and I rarely make into the Harry Rosen stores in the city. You're right about the fact that many of the smaller stores carry only a limited number of brands (ie. a lack of Zegna, Brioni and the like). These bespoke shirts you speak of, which label are they and is there a minimum order?

Ranjeev

Reaction score
Sorry about the grammar in the last post. Time for me to get ready for a meeting.

Timothy

Reaction score
Just an Idea for a real leisure look is to make it flat at the bottom, but then have a small (as in an inch or 2) vent on both sides at the seams. A lot of middle of the road labels (like K. Cole, FCUK, Hugo Boss) do this type of shirt tail, but it would be interesting to see how it looks with a bespoke shirt. Or for a real retro leisure look is to have them put matching, or even contrasting, ribbing at the bottom of the shirt. This style is coming back with designers, but it seems to be only for the brave of heart.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys think it would look better straight all around the bottom, or with very short shirt tails.

I agree. My favorite "designer" shirts are by Costume National,; and their shorter length, perfect for wearing untucked, is one of reasons I like them so much.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ranjeev, there is no minimum order and the prices start at $400, depending on fabric. They are true bespoke, done by a tailor who works at the bloor st location (sr. francesco something i believe), so you can do anything you want.

The salesman showed me one that had just been finished for another customer and it was of very good quality. I don't know if you've ever taken a look at their swatch books, but they carry very good fabrics (loro piana, scabel, cerruti, a top english mill whose name i can't remember, etc.).

While i was there I was shown a sample from last year's winning bale. It was 13.3 microns, purchased by loro piana. The salesman said a suit made of it would cost on the order of 25k.

Timothy

Reaction score
Another interesting shirt tail is one on the blue shirt (top row, 4th pic) from Jose Levy SS'04. It looks more like the cut of a vest, but nicely applied to a shirt.
post-19-1056700695.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads