• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help w/ Santoni FAM Size Conversion

Phoenix

Reaction score
I'm eyeing this pair of Santoni FAM's:

http://www.raffaello-network.com/eng...ens-Shoes.html

Two questions:

1. The sizing on the drop down menu says that a EU 42 converts to a US 8. I thought a EU 42 normally converts to a US 8.5. Anyone know which is correct?

2. What's a good price for these FAM's (trying to figure out when I should pull the trigger)?

Thanks!

Roger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phoenix
I'm eyeing this pair of Santoni FAM's:

Two questions:

1. The sizing on the drop down menu says that a EU 42 converts to a US 8. I thought a EU 42 normally converts to a US 8.5. Anyone know which is correct?

2. What's a good price for these FAM's (trying to figure out when I should pull the trigger)?

Thanks!

An EU 42 is equivalent to a UK 8 and a US 9. For your future cross-sizing needs:

http://www.geocities.com/handy_feet/shoesize.html

However, I gather that Santonis present their own set of cross-sizing problems, so be careful here. We need Shoe to weigh in on this.

Edit: Just looked at those shoes. They're certainly very nice, but are you sure that they're FAMs (although I suspect that they are)? The Raffaello Network drop-down menu re sizing is incorrect (at least in the 8.5 - 10 region).

That's a good find, Phoenix. I just perused a bunch of very nice "orange sock" FAMs at what appear to be excellent prices:

Here's an "orange sock" FAM that I really like, and at $389 seems like a helluva deal:

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is an odd site; they run an affiliate program so they end up in a lot of Google searches and paid ads. I've purchased ties from them before and the shipping was prompt, a fair price, and direct from Italy. Thankfully they've updated the design so it is easier to use, but I'd expect the sizing issues to only be apparent if you're used to dealing with goods meant for the Italian local market.

kali77

Reaction score
Well I just ordered these http://www.raffaello-network.com/eng...ens-Shoes.html
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
So I will let you all know how it goes.

kali77

Reaction score
Here is the conversatiopn with a rep on size

Dawn: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?
EB: Hello I just placed an oder Order Number : ***** Can I switch the size to the EU 41.5
Dawn: Please let me chaeck on that for you.
Check*
EB: thank you
Also are you sure you have the sizing correct. I though a EU42 was a UK8 or US9
Dawn: I can check on that for you as well. One moment please.
EB: ok
Dawn: I show EU as being 8.5 US 8 UK and approximately 10.25 inches
EB: EU42 is 10.25 inches long?
Dawn: according to the conversion chartavailable to me, yes
Is the size 42 in your order compatible with your size?
EB: Ok you can keep it the way it is. I suppose you can't put the EU41.5 to the side until I receive the EU42 to make sure it fits?
Dawn: Unfortunately that is not possible. however, while I cannot guarantee this conversion chart, we have had a good rate of response as to the accuracy.
EB: Ok thank you for your time! Hopefully it fits
smile.gif

Dawn: Is there anything else I may assist you with today?

EB: No thanks.
Dawn: Thank you for visiting Raffaello Network! Have a great day!
I hope they fit as well!

I am keeping my fingers crossed!

Maybe Shoe will chime in.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Based on the photos, the pair I'm eyeing appear to be FAMs (I can see just enough of the tan sock to see curved lettering, versus the straight lettering on non-FAMs), although I'm open to being corrected by more experienced Forumites.

Now, I'm in a quandary. They don't have what they would say is an US 8.5 (EU 42.5), but they do have a EU 41.5 and 42. I've tried on EU 42 in other brands and they've fit fine. Do I chance it. . . . ? Hmmmm. It appears you have to pay 10% for restocking on returns. Perhaps I'll wait until Kali gets his shipment and see if he can shed light on the sizing issue.

kali77

Reaction score
Hopefully you won't have to wait to long. They only offered two day shipping for a whopping $9.90
smile.gif

To be honest I probably would not have bitten on these, but I was going to get a pair of C&J Lowndes through PLAL which was a couple month wait. So Hopefully these work out or else I will lose the $restocking fee and just wait on the lowndes.

Neo1824

Reaction score
Somewhat off topic but I noticed yesterday that Ian at worldsfinest has a bunch of Santoni FAMs for about $290. Seems like a smoking deal to me.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buyers should note that these are indeed FAM but all the orange sock ones and most of the tan sock I have seen are NOT goodyear welted like the ones in Nordstrom... but rather blake-stitched. This includes the FAM that Ian and other eBay sellers are selling.

satorstyle

Reaction score
I have a pair of FAM orange sock Santoni's marked uk 10 and they fit me perfectly at a size US 12. Shoe would have to verify but I've found FAM's to 1 to 2 sizes larger than the listed size.

kali77

Reaction score
Originally Posted by satorstyle
I have a pair of FAM orange sock Santoni's marked uk 10 and they fit me perfectly at a size US 12. Shoe would have to verify but I've found FAM's to 1 to 2 sizes larger than the listed size.

Well with that said looks like I may be losing the restocking fee
frown.gif
, and waiting for the Lowndes.

kali77

Reaction score
I am not so much worried about the blake stitching as I am worried about the size issue. I emailed them and asked them to switch them to the EU41.5 after reading satorstyle's comment. With the headache involved at this point, I am feeling like I should have just waited it out for the C&J
confused.gif

Phoenix

Reaction score
FYI: I have two pair of tan sock Santoni FAMs currently, both in UK Size 7.5, and they fit me well as a US 8.5D.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Buyers should note that these are indeed FAM but all the orange sock ones and most of the tan sock I have seen are NOT goodyear welted like the ones in Nordstrom... but rather blake-stitched. This includes the FAM that Ian and other eBay sellers are selling.

Is this goodyear welted non-FAM better constructed than the blake-stiched FAMs?

http://www.shermanbrothers.com/produ...&ProductId=964

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member