• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need Help on Suit Purchases

Seattle Bits

Reaction score
Hello All,

Found your forum while looking for suits and have been reading posts for the past three day. Nice place you have here!

About my situation...I'm entering the civilian workforce after 22 years in the military and have no clue about suits and what is/is not appropriate. I have a job as a computer programmer w/mgt potential in the Seattle area. I would like to buy about 4 BB suits while they have the 2 for 1499 and the 30% discount going. What color suits would you recommend? What combination of shirts and ties would you recommend with the suits?

Your anticipated help is most appreciated.

csulli13

Reaction score
I'm fairly new here too, but I know by now what the standard answer is going to be:

Navy and Charcoal for at least two of the suits, white and light blue shirts.

As a fellow programmer I can tell you that our dress code very rarely includes wearing suits. Most likely the standard uniform is going to be collared shirts and khakis, even wearing a sportscoat will have people asking you if you have a job interview later. It's possible that most of your co-workers are going to be wearing jeans and polo shirts.

unless the company you're working for is extremely formal, 4 suits is probably going to be overkill. Even the SVP of my department only wears a suit when he has a meeting with the higher-ups.

binge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to be snarky, but I'd be surprised if any other computer programmer in the Seattle area even owned a suit, let alone wore one every day. Sure you want to run out and spend a few thousand dollars on suits, shirts, ties (you failed to ask about shoes) to match a perceived business standard that doesn't exist for that industry?

Seattle Bits

Reaction score
There are all types of attire in the office. While I could wear jeans and a nice shirt, I am a firm believer that you should dress for your future position, not what your peers are wearing. If your boss wears a suit and tie everyday, wouldn't the proper attire also be a suit and tie?

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Seattle Bits
Hello All,

Found your forum while looking for suits and have been reading posts for the past three day. Nice place you have here!

About my situation...I'm entering the civilian workforce after 22 years in the military and have no clue about suits and what is/is not appropriate. I have a job as a computer programmer w/mgt potential in the Seattle area. I would like to buy about 4 BB suits while they have the 2 for 1499 and the 30% discount going. What color suits would you recommend? What combination of shirts and ties would you recommend with the suits?

Your anticipated help is most appreciated.

Definitely go with one solid dark blue and one solid grey. A subtle pinstripe of either one is not bad either.

Pick up some solid white, greys, light blue for shirts for starters. Basic designs like stripes or squares/diamonds? for the shirts is good too.

Congratulations on your job and good luck with it all.

NickM3

Reaction score
As people have said, navy and charcoal are pretty standard. Maybe pick up a lighter grey as well, a little more casual and something you can use outside work.

I'd get some striped and checked shirts, white with blue stripes/checks always work well and are more interesting than either color alone.

Just don't do the khaki + blue shirt uniform all the tech people seem to wear. My friends in programming around here usually work in jeans and a sport shirt, anything more and they would be out of place in the office.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads