• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need "dressy" jeans

Goblin

Reaction score
OK, I'm on kind of a spending spree today. I just blew over $300 on American Apparel, $400 down on custom shirts, and over $300 on a new briefcase. Heady stuff for me, so I'm exulting.

bigstar[1].gif

For spring, I'm starting to actually wear things like blazers, sport shirts, ocbd's, sweater vests, cardigans, etc. in my off-time. My current project jeans are APC NS, but I wear them double-cuffed and I'm worried that might look dumb with a dressier outfit.

So, I'm looking for a pair of jeans, preferably raw, don't care about selvage, that will look appropriate with more "grown-up" attire such as a blazer and nice shoes, rather than a Johnny Thunders t-shirt and Chuck Taylors. Then again, because I am a douchebag, there's every possibility that I'll also be wearing a blazer with a Johnny Thunders t-shirt and Chuck Taylors.

(Note: I realize that it's sad that my idea of "grown-up" is only now stretching upward to "hipster dickface." But at least I have insight, right?)

Anyway, I'm looking for a decent pair of jeans that will look nice uncuffed and dressed up. A variety of inseams is a plus. I like my jeans slim but not skinny, with a rise lower than 501s.

If all else fails, I'll probably just get another pair of APCs and get them hemmed.

Y'all always have good advice. Hit me!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The usual suspects: Acne Mic ($159 from Denim Bar) Great jean, if you can deal with zip fly and non-selvage, dark denim, awesome fit. 5EP Low Down Boot or Straight Zip in raw or resin (your choice) $150 from 5EP deadstock Great jean, superb construction, wonderful denim, nice fits, if you can deal with slightly higher than normal rise. Ande Whall Cougar/Grifter $160 from AW Dark denim, non-selvage, but great quality, handmade, wonderful cuts and fits, custom pocket color etc... Studio D' Artisan SDA-103 $225 from BiG Nice modern cut, low rise, nice fit, great denim, wonderful jean. Kicking Mule Workshop 1980 $230 or so from Denim Bar Nice jean, great finish, etc... if you can deal with the low pockets and selvage coin pocket. There's probably more that will be fine but I'm tired of typing for now hehe.

tangerine

Reaction score
Rag and Bone. I didn't like them precisely because I thought they felt too dressy, but they sound like they would work for what you are looking for.

They make a variety of cuts; RB6 might be appropriate. Almost everyone on this board knows more about them than I do so I will step down now.
wink.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tangerine
Rag and Bone. I didn't like them precisely because I thought they felt too dressy, but they sound like they would work for what you are looking for.

They make a variety of cuts; RB6 might be appropriate. Almost everyone on this board knows more about them than I do so I will step down now.
wink.gif

Rag & Bone would be nice too but the newer RB6s are really baggy IMO and if he wants something slim the RB11 or RB15 selvage would be a good choice, probably.

Goblin

Reaction score
OK, here's a question. What do you think of cuffed jeans with blazer, ocbd, etc.? I don't cuff to show selvage, I do it because I've always done it, pretty much. Do cuffs keep an outfit from looking dressed up?

tljenkin

Reaction score
R&B11 or R&B6

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Goblin
OK, here's a question. What do you think of cuffed jeans with blazer, ocbd, etc.? I don't cuff to show selvage, I do it because I've always done it, pretty much. Do cuffs keep an outfit from looking dressed up?

I personally do not ever cuff for jeans, but sometimes do for suits or trousers. I personally think the visual break makes them look more casual but ymmv.

Tiranis

Reaction score
Dior 21cms... or even 19cms... best to try them on and see which one you like better. All the options mentioned above are nice too... especially SDA-103 imo.

There's a lot of options to be fair and without knowing your build it's hard to recommend proper jeans.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tiranis
Dior 21cms... or even 19cms... best to try them on and see which one you like better. All the options mentioned above are nice too...

There's a lot of options to be fair and without knowing your build it's hard to recommend proper jeans.

I personally think Diors are going to have a bit too much stacking to be "dressy" per se, but YMMV. I believe the OP mentioned in another thread he was 5'9 145 lb.

Bona Drag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
drizz is authoritative, as always...

I would get on the 5EP deal if you still can, then look into Whalls, with SDA as sort of option 2B.

Looking at them again, KMW has the biggest goddamn pockets I've ever seen; not gonna cut it as dressy under any circumstances. That's not what I bought mine for, but I'll have to reevaluate when I get them - those suckers may be too big period.

Even with our discount, my impression is that Acne isn't worth the extra $40 over APC.

Two cents, etc...

Edit: a Thunders t is anti-douche, under any circumstances...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bona Drag
drizz is authoritative, as always...

I would get on the 5EP deal if you still can, then look into Whalls, with SDA as sort of option 2B.

Looking at them again, KMW has the biggest goddamn pockets I've ever seen; not gonna cut it as dressy under any circumstances. That's not what I bought mine for, but I'll have to reevaluate when I get them - those suckers may be too big period.

Even with our discount, my impression is that Acne isn't worth the extra $40 over APC.

Two cents, etc...

Edit: a Thunders t is anti-douche, under any circumstances...

I think acne jeans are quite well made, despite not being selvage. I think you should go with APC if you want jeans that will fade easily, as acne's don't really fade so much. That said, Acne is a different cut, with significantly lower rise, and the fits are quite different than APC. A lot of people (including myself) don't deal well with the quite high rise of the APC NS and Rescue.

thesternowl

Reaction score
I'd also recommend the Rag & Bone rb6. I think they're perfect for dressing up.

I have the rb6r (rigid) and I love how smart they look with a blazer and some great shoes. They must be cut slightly different than the rb6s (selvage) as they are far from too baggy and I haven't even washed them yet. You should certainly check them out.

Cheers!

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thesternowl
I'd also recommend the Rag & Bone rb6. I think they're perfect for dressing up.

I have the rb6r (rigid) and I love how smart they look with a blazer and some great shoes. They must be cut slightly different than the rb6s (selvage) as they are far from too baggy and I haven't even washed them yet. You should certainly check them out.

Cheers!

I have to think there's a number of different cuts for the RB6. I have the RB6b and it's also not baggy by any means. I think mine is from last year, though. Some people that have gotten the RB6 this season though have mentioned that they're quite baggy. I don't really know what's going on with that.

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Helmut Lang Classic denim is dressy. Love it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics