• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need advice on building wardrobe. Unsure of pairing trousers and blazers.

phzanella

Reaction score
I'm buying items via ebay, but having a hard time finding matched suits in my size.
What should I be looking for if I just want separate blazers/jackets (NOT from suits) and separate trousers (NOT from suits)?

I see a lot of posters wearing trousers and what seems to be blazers or orphaned suit jackets, but am unsure of how to tell the difference.
Are the examples below blazers paired with trousers (OR orphaned suit trousers) or oprhaned suit jackets & trousers (and/or orphaned trousers)?

Attachments

• firefox—08—27—21—19-30—H5nkmuHivn.jpg
    firefox—08—27—21—19-30—H5nkmuHivn.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 28
  • firefox—08—27—21—19-30—5qWBTLJYMA.jpg
    firefox—08—27—21—19-30—5qWBTLJYMA.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 28
  • firefox—08—27—21—19-30—mpXaNt3kXr.jpg
    firefox—08—27—21—19-30—mpXaNt3kXr.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 24
  • firefox—08—27—21—19-30—yBYqpaELwP.jpg
    firefox—08—27—21—19-30—yBYqpaELwP.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 24
  • firefox—08—27—21—19-29—ZmwuHEE6HX.jpg
    firefox—08—27—21—19-29—ZmwuHEE6HX.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 25
  • firefox—08—27—21—19-29—a6HJ7aTbZ8.jpg
    firefox—08—27—21—19-29—a6HJ7aTbZ8.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 78
  • firefox—08—27—21—19-29—bYcgcb25vC.jpg
    firefox—08—27—21—19-29—bYcgcb25vC.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 82

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can think of a few difficulties/obstacles with this strategy of shopping online and being able to coordinate jackets and trousers.
Three things to consider about cloth; weight, texture and color.
These need to be compatible and create harmony when pairing a jacket with a trouser. Unlikely you will be successful in coordinating this shopping online.

Texture contributes to how formal or casual the garment is. The jacket and trouser textures should compliment each other.

Colors will work together with each piece or not work. You really won't be able to discern this until you have the clothes and can see them together. Just the wrong shade of a color can make thing look off.

Cloth weight is personal preference and you will have to know what weight you like to wear. Doubt if sellers would accurately know the cloth weight. The cloth weight of the trouser and jacket will effect the look of the outfit. Don't wear a 13 ounce trouser with an 8 ounce summer jacket.

Not even addressing fit. Best to know the sizing and fit of the brands you look at. Some may not work with or fit your body type. Again, if you don't know the brand you won't know if it works for you until you buy and try.
Common issue with Ebay clothes are most have been altered for the original owner. This may effect how they work for you if they have been altered to someone else.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good job getting a detailed reply from an expert like @Despos !
Almost all of the awesome examples you shared have sport coat traits like patch pockets, interesting fabrics, and softer shoulders. Your instincts are right on target.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm buying items via ebay, but having a hard time finding matched suits in my size.
What should I be looking for if I just want separate blazers/jackets (NOT from suits) and separate trousers (NOT from suits)?

I see a lot of posters wearing trousers and what seems to be blazers or orphaned suit jackets, but am unsure of how to tell the difference.
Are the examples below blazers paired with trousers (OR orphaned suit trousers) or oprhaned suit jackets & trousers (and/or orphaned trousers)?

I agree with the above.

the first pic is a blazer. The patch pockets and piping around the lapel are dead giveaways.

the second pic is a bit tougher. The patch pockets suggest a more casual garment but the fabric and pattern, at least as seen on my phone, could also work with a suit. I think it’s fine to wear even if it was orphaned.

the third pic I just find to be ugly, so I’ll pass on judgement.

the fourth is another one that could work either way. The PoW plaid can be used in suits as well as shown. The patch pockets render it more casual.

the last three are also sport coats. I’m tempted to say the fifth is a gun club check but I’m not sure. I think it’s supposed to have some green on it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads