• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Need a Watch to Impress the Females?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having a collection of Audemars Piguet, Patek, FP Journe, A. Lange & Sohne, I find myself yearning for a Rolex. Never a Rolex fan to begin with your exact sentiments, but now, having drawn to the history & superb manufacturing techniques, it is one of the most misunderstood company by so-called WIS.
settle down, thats not an accurate statement.
Is it the finest watch produced? Of course not. But Rolex builds a damn fine watch in the price range with excellent build quality, a decent in house movement, excellent after sale service, and outstanding resale value at any time in almost any country in the world.

Alright, I see we have some Rolex fans in the house. I never said that Rolex makes a bad watch. Rolex makes a perfectly fine watch that has been very successfully marketed. Do they ahold their value? Yes, as there is a perceived quality. This doesn't take away from their actual quality. Rather, they are just as good as many other brands that haven't been marketed as well.

Would I ever wear one? Maybe a vintage piece that had some patina and history to it. It not, you look like every other nevau riche or successful car sales man who wants to go out and buy "the best" because they got a big bonus. The second reason why I wouldn't buy is because everyone has one. I've counted up to 10 Rolexes around a table before at a party. Most of everything I buy is because everyone doesn't have one. Another reason I don't buy AE shoes.

I came to work today and a co-worker was wearing a shirt that I also own (but thankfully did not wear today). That shirt will probably not be worn again.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright, I see we have some Rolex fans in the house. I never said that Rolex makes a bad watch. Rolex makes a perfectly fine watch that has been very successfully marketed. Do they ahold their value? Yes, as there is a perceived quality. This doesn't take away from their actual quality. Rather, they are just as good as many other brands that haven't been marketed as well.
Would I ever wear one? Maybe a vintage piece that had some patina and history to it. It not, you look like every other nevau riche or successful car sales man who wants to go out and buy "the best" because they got a big bonus. The second reason why I wouldn't buy is because everyone has one. I've counted up to 10 Rolexes around a table before at a party. Most of everything I buy is because everyone doesn't have one. Another reason I don't buy AE shoes.
I came to work today and a co-worker was wearing a shirt that I also own (but thankfully did not wear today). That shirt will probably not be worn again.

sure, but that can be said for anything. The junior analyst who buys the M3 because he thinks it shows he "made it", when in fact, its a damn good sports car.

I have a stainless steel and black submariner. It has looked the same since 1960 (just like my 911 now that i think about it) and yet it still looks good, works in almost every situation and stands up to solid abuse. Maybe ten people at the table have them because they are nice looking quality watches?

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sure, but that can be said for anything. The junior analyst who buys the M3 because he thinks it shows he "made it", when in fact, its a damn good sports car.
I have a stainless steel and black submariner. It has looked the same since 1960 (just like my 911 now that i think about it) and yet it still looks good, works in almost every situation and stands up to solid abuse. Maybe ten people at the table have them because they are nice looking quality watches?

True. However when I bought my M3 it was to use it on the track not because I thought I made it. I actually ended up selling it as I realized that I coulnt afford to wreck it on the track. Bought a daily driver and modified the hell out of a '84 RX-7 so that I can blow the doors off most modern sports cars at the track and cause widespread confusion as most people have never seen a wide body 400+ hp first gen RX7. Is it the best car ever? No. Would I consider it as a daily driver? Hell no. Is it fun and original? You bet.

Zeppelin

Reaction score
Reminds me a lot of that thread where the op was explaining how he wore expensive designer clothes to bars and complained about the other guys who were dressed like slobs. Obviously the slobs got all the chicks.

+1 to 'forget about the Rolex', unless you want to attract gold diggers. Please also stay away from that Stuhrling, it is gross. If you actually want to wear a watch get a masculine one (but no ridiculous ones) like a Stowa Airman/Pilot or even a Seiko (big) military. If you don't wear the watch often you might even consider a Quartz model.

Good luck for your hunt (in both directions)

g-banger

Reaction score

+1 to 'forget about the Rolex', unless you want to attract gold diggers. Please also stay away from that Stuhrling, it is gross. If you actually want to wear a watch get a masculine one (but no ridiculous ones) like a Stowa Airman/Pilot or even a Seiko (big) military. If you don't wear the watch often you might even consider a Quartz model.

you deserve a beer for that comment.

that watch is around 1000US

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OP=Troll post

The only "nice" watch I own that garners attention is a Rolex. I have a weakness for Girard Perregaux designs which have zero recognition factor.

Last edited:

davejglaser

Reaction score
I'm 26 and have a vintage Rolex Datejust and a Hamilton Khaki ETO. I tend to wear the Hamilton much more often than the Rolex and have found that women are more impressed with the Hamilton, despite its price being a fraction of my Rolex. The Rolex gets more "oh wow, is that a Rolex?" while the Hamilton gets "That's a really cool watch. Who makes it?"

Whatever you do, steer away from fashion brands' watches. Just stick to something you like and wear it with confidence. Doesn't matter the price tag.

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

is this price guide for rolex accurate? http://www.minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.htm

It looks fairly accurate. As for Rolex watches. They are very good watches with a solid horological history. Are they the be all and end all of watches? Not even close. However, if you like them, go ahead and buy one. I certainly wouldn't think any less of you unless you're an arrogant prick, in which case, a Patek tourbillon on your wrist isn't going to change my opinion of you. And no, that Rolex isn't going to impress most women except the most shallow and worthless ones.

lemmywinks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are pretty much no girls my age (18) that would care about watches at all. If a guy is somewhat interesting and is wearing a Nixon or G-Shock, they might get a compliment. The only girls that ever cared about my watches were my girlfriends. One took mine because she just wanted to have something that was mine and the other one noticed my Seiko Diver and asked me three times and if my watch was waterproof when I was about to jump into the pool.

Somewhere down the road, your watch would matter to certain circles of woman. I know my mom would look at a guy's watch but she has a few Rolex and Cartiers of her own. My sister (28) might notices a guy's watch but would only identify Rolex, Cartier, Omega, and probably some fashion brands like Chanel.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks fairly accurate. As for Rolex watches. They are very good watches with a solid horological history. Are they the be all and end all of watches? Not even close. However, if you like them, go ahead and buy one. I certainly wouldn't think any less of you unless you're an arrogant prick, in which case, a Patek tourbillon on your wrist isn't going to change my opinion of you. And no, that Rolex isn't going to impress most women except the most shallow and worthless ones.

nice, rolexes are cheaper than i thought, i recall some1 told me an entry level sub was 10k, 6k for a watch just seems cheap now, rolex just got affordable :slayer:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you're looking to impress a girl, I'd go with this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Ferragamo-F71LBQ6809-S009-Genuine-Leather/dp/B0055BQPEO/?tag=leacel0f-20

It's a ferragamo. I worked at a jewelry store for a couple of years while in college & this was a very well liked watch.. I mean it was my favorite for guys (I'm a girl, btw). I'd definitely recommend this one. Let me know you want some other advice on watches considering it might not be what you're looking for.
Sorry, but that watch is stupid ugly.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads