• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Necessary" Sport Coats:

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Yes, yes they would.

that's right, they wear entire corduroy suits there (lol)

lex%20luthor%20spacey.jpg

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Yes, this. I can understand working in an environment that demands an understated wardrobe, but let's not confuse a workplace dictat with true elegance. Neither Astaire nor the Duke dressed like office drones, or like their clothing was just on display in a men's shop window. Clothing is about personal expression, and true elegance, IMO, is knowing when to enjoy exuberance and when to practice restraint. Erring on the side of caution is usually wise, but it's possible to go too far in that direction, just as it's possible to go too far in the other.
True elegance? What is the point of a man dressing for elegance sake? The Duke and Astaire were both entertainers, one was King and the other a song and dance man and I cannot think of why your run of the mill office worker would want to dress like this or even spend the amount of time grooming themselves that these men did. I think that once you wear something that isn't a tried and true article of clothing without association, you run the risk of someone reacting negatively (or positively) to it. There is a reason the vast majority of men reach for white.blue and small blue stripes on white shirts. It may not be a good reason, it may damn them to mediocrity but you need to be aware that in sufficient numbers, even little grey mice can nibble you to death.

NorCal_1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
Dont you think its a bit absurd to think no one in NYC wears corduroy jackets?

I was kidding, hence the (lol) in the post

the question isn't whether anybody wears them, the question is what's 'necesary' (see title of thread) or practical given the style/temperment/formality of the city in which they live

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
lol, sorry buddy i missed it.

Agreed, but corduroy jackets are awesome for casual situations where wool doesn't work as well. I missed out on some killer cord jackets this winter, but i cant wait to pick one up for this winter.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have a client who needed to visit with Walmart in Arkansas and some small companies in Wisconsin. He picked up some corduroy jackets and they work perfectly. He shows up in a jacket but nobody thinks anything of it as the corduroy comes off very low key. He also has corduroy suits he likes to wear in NY in the fall when he is there for fun.
Another client got navy corduroy jackets for the time he spends upstate NY or in Colorado during the summer.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
True elegance? What is the point of a man dressing for elegance sake? The Duke and Astaire were both entertainers, one was King and the other a song and dance man and I cannot think of why your run of the mill office worker would want to dress like this or even spend the amount of time grooming themselves that these men did.

Do you assume we're all "run of the mill office workers" or that, if we are, we'd want to dress like one? I'm still perplexed by your point-of-view. You constantly try to remind others of what is socially expected of them or what would be socially acceptable, yet you don't stop to consider that some of us may already know and simply have other priorities.

I am very aware of how other lawyers dress in Manhattan. I just don't care to do exactly as they do.

I think that once you wear something that isn't a tried and true article of clothing without association, you run the risk of someone reacting negatively (or positively) to it.

I think most forum members are aware that they are taking risks. Every other day a new thread starts up to discuss the negative reactions of outsiders.

There is a reason the vast majority of men reach for white.blue and small blue stripes on white shirts. It may not be a good reason, it may damn them to mediocrity but you need to be aware that in sufficient numbers, even little grey mice can nibble you to death.

Again, I think more of us are aware of this than you think.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Do you assume we're all "run of the mill office workers" or that, if we are, we'd want to dress like one? I'm still perplexed by your point-of-view.
I don't think being a run of the mill office worker is a put down. I think wearing some of these over done outfits and styles make workaday men who aren't entertainers look like clowns. If you want to look like a clown at the office, that's your right. However, I draw the line at having to pretend the outfit isn't clown like. I buy some flamboyant things but I buy them with a purpose in mind not to look elegant as if it's a detached ideal. I think that is a very bad idea for a man.
You constantly try to remind others of what is socially expected of them or what would be socially acceptable, yet you don't stop to consider that some of us may already know and simply have other priorities.
This is untrue. Although the mindlessly intractable logic is surprisingly familiar and I'm prepared to chalk it up to; exposure to AJ leads to contamination.
I am very aware of how other lawyers dress in Manhattan. I just don't care to do exactly as they do.
This is a similar argument to being aware to what the Duke and Astaire wore but not doing exactly what they do.
I think most forum members are aware that they are taking risks. Every other day a new thread starts up to discuss the negative reactions of outsiders.
I'm not thinking about risk taking, just the concept that someone would want to look elegant in a vacuum without any regard to cause and effect.
Again, I think more of us are aware of this than you think.
Some of you are unwitting participants.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
IIRC Saxony is not particurly fine but not as coarse as the cheviot that would appear in a tweed. I'm fine with being corrected.

Saxony from merino was Golden Bale before Golden Bale existed. The good stuff is $300 a yard, at wholesale, and the softest flannel I've ever encountered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads