Navy Sport Coat Advice

Discussion in 'Menswear Advice' started by stubbsj20, Jul 20, 2016.

1. stubbsj20

stubbsj20 Well-Known Member

I am looking to purchase my first navy sport coat. I have found the two linked below at Brooks Brothers. Any opinion between the two? Are they worth the asking price (i.e. are the jackets decent quality — #1 made in Italy, #2 made in China)? Should I be looking at something different for my first navy jacket (I am a slim athletic build)? Thank you in advance for your advice.

#1 http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Milan...var_MM00533_Color=NAVY&contentpos=2&cgid=0307

#2 http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Milan...var_MM00485_Color=BLUE&contentpos=8&cgid=0307

2. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

#2 is more likely to fit and it is pure wool, whereas the other one has some mystery fabric. Furthermore, the Italian-made jacket might have been made by Chinese workers, and it appears to have a strange weave (possibly barleycorn) that reduces its usefulness. Lean toward #2 or something similar with wider lapels.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

3. stubbsj20

Thank you very much for the advice! Do you think #2 is a good first navy jacket or should I keep looking?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016

4. mensimageconsultant

Due to the lapels, keep looking. Any outlet malls nearby?

5. stubbsj20

Yes, several. What stores should I be looking for?

6. mensimageconsultant

Brooks Brothers, Ralph Lauren, Nordstrom Rack, etc. It's basically a matter of going to stores that carry your size and finding something with the right features* that is discounted. J. Crew also makes some navy wool sport coats, but its quality is probably lower than the other options.

*By the way, the jacket in picture #1 has patch pockets, which are too casual for many uses. The right choice shouldn't have a ticket pocket, either, in case a discounted jacket includes that.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016

7. stubbsj20

Thank you very much for all the advise! I will try and frequent some of the stores you suggested.