• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

National Hockey League 2012-2013 Thread

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think this is a Torts issue. The team is not the same team as last year's but he's going with the same "grind it out" mentality. The guys mentioned in the comment above were all "grind it out" players. The only real grinders left are Callahan and a bunch of third and fourth liners. I don't think Powe fits...he just seems to be running all over with out the size to really make people fear his hits. 2 goals scored in the last three games with this team's roster is not acceptable. **** back checking, let Gaborik loose.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

the people NYR lost were all 3rd and 4th liners.

They're not grinders though...Stepan is no grinder. Pyatt has size but plays with the intensity of a heroin addict. Boyle was always seen as having thepotential to be a great power fwd, but never realized. Halpern is a face-off guy. They lack grit. They're soft everywhere on the ice unless Callahan and occasionally Nash get pissed off. That grit, in my mind, is what made last years team so hard to play against. Teams are setting up and having cake in front of the Rangers net and guys are so scared to take penalties that they're paying for it. Anyway, we sure do suck this year.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i def. agree that presence in front of the net (of both ends) is really weak this year. They have the ability, but it just doesn't happen. They've been fairly strong along the boards, but not nearly aggressive enough, which I think explains the lack of PP's lately (last few games they've averages something like 1.5 per game).

I don't think the grit issue explains why Richards and Gaborik (and now Nash) aren't scoring. It helps create space in the zone, but not really on the rush. The Gabby puck fumble kind of sums up his season to me.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
i know. I think Gabby is past this, he's just off. It affected Nash a little at the start, then he was en fuego, and how he is cold (and it's while they're on the road).

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was an issue of Torts getting stale, but NYi's comment on how he's trying to push a grinding system from last year onto this skill team makes sense. You guys are in a tough conference... But you are only 2pts ahead of my abysmal Flames. At least i expected them to suck :laugh: Rough when you have high expectations for sure.

The Flames are in that horrible habit of winning enough to get me thinking about a playoff race but losing enough to guarantee missing the playoffs while picking at 7-10. Looks like another 9th or 10th place finish. At least Edmonton sucks properly and gets good picks. My only hope is that Iggy gets traded as a rental since he's UFA this summer and we get a first out of it.

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
nice little visit from Glenn Anderson at the Garden last night

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
huge win by the Rangers in Philly last night. They really need the points to both stay in a playoff spot and to open up a little space in front of the 9th-11th seeds.

some touch road matches coming up next.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hahaha, from last night's snoozer 1-0 win against the Blue Jackets:

@BizNasty2point0 Hey @strombone1, you catching up on Real Housewives of Vancouver? @NHL pic.twitter.com/hsKfALl30q

@strombone1 @BizNasty2point0 if you were at this game you'd understand.....

jarude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Iggy's going to Boston. Book it. :(

I spent forever hoping and praying that Feaster would do the right thing and trade Iggy, but now that its happening, I feel pretty sad. He's a legendary player and heart of the team and I'm really not looking forward to the return we get from Boston. The Flames get fleeced in trades by the Leafs almost yearly, and the Chiarelli fleeces the Leafs on a regular basis. If the Flames get a bad return I will be heartbroken. :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads