• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Napoleon dynamite

jharrison

Reaction score
I saw a couple of ads for this movie on TV and didn't think a lot of it. Now I have friends that have seen it and say it's hilarious. Anyone here seen it? Or even heard of it? What do you think?

NavyStyles

Reaction score
I've been seeing the commercials off and on, and I'm still not quite sure what to think. It does look kind of funny, but I don't have a clue what to expect. I just had a friend tell me it was the best movie she had seen all summer. Though, she didn't elaborate, so that's all I can give you for now.

fareau

Reaction score
I recently went to see it and quite enjoyed it. It easily transcends the usual high-school teen nerd film that Hollywood churns out each year. The characters are very endearing and it has a nice "feel-good" ending that doesn't seem artificially sweet. Well worth the money in my opinion.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It isn't playing anywhere I can get in free unfortunately, and though I am compelled to go watch it, It's against my religion to pay for movies.

I DID see The Villiage though, and even though it's not a movie I think the "masses" will enjoy, I thought it was fairly well put together and interesting. Anyone else seen it?

gqelements

Reaction score
[the village] watched on my laptop today - was quite dissapointed, but not more than i have been with any other recent release.

the magic if trailers is now far beyond that of disney.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I saw Napoleon Dyanamite - it was strange and exceptionally funny. If you laugh when you're uncomfortable (for instance, I love Curb Your Enthusiasm), I'd recommend it.

My general take on the summer movies I've seen so far:

Saved. - Very funny, Mean Girls for Christians.
Anchorman - Almost walked out, even the outtakes weren't funny.
Spiderman 2 - I don't understand what the hype is about, but passable.
The Bourne Supremacy - The best of the bunch, better than the first. Contains perhaps the best car chase on film.
The Manchurian Candidate - This movie can get my Manchurian balls.
I, Robot - Much better than I expected, enjoyable even.
Farenheit 9/11 - There's a whole thread on this, but it was just what I expected.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw Napoleon Dyanamite - it was strange and exceptionally funny.  If you laugh when you're uncomfortable (for instance, I love Curb Your Enthusiasm), I'd recommend it.
I definately need to see it then. I'll second the recomendation on I, Robot.

I read the book a while ago, which was great, I was dissapointed when I saw that Will Smith was the lead. I can't stand his movies, he always plays the same corny black guy, it's annoying. However, in this film he kicked ass, though the plot was entirely different than the book, it was still outstanding.

NavyStyles

Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Well first, you can slave away 40 hours a week during High School working your way up from snack bar cleaning ***** to assistant manager. Then you make friends with the district manager and work out a deal. Then you quit.

Then you just have to keep showing up for two or three free movies a week, so that when the theater hires new people, they learn your face. and won't stop to question why you have been seeing free movies at that theater for six years. When most of the people you actually worked with are long gone.

Thats about how it works.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well first, you can slave away 40 hours a week during High School working your way up from snack bar cleaning ***** to assistant manager. Then you make friends with the district manager and work out a deal. Then you quit.

Then you just have to keep showing up for two or three free movies a week, so that when the theater hires new people, they learn your face. and won't stop to question why you have been seeing free movies at that theater for six years. When most of the people you actually worked with are long gone.

Thats about how it works.
Sounds like an awesome (former) job perk. I wish I had some benefits that lasted 6 years after i quit.

Brian SD

Reaction score
I've heard that it's hilarious as well. That blows my mind - I thought it was one of the most marsupialed looking movies I've ever seen.

I thought Anchorman was very disappointing and stupid. The same goes for Dodgeball. And they both got two thumbs up.

jharrison

Reaction score
I finally went to see Napoleon and I loved it. I've actually gone a second time since. It was so refreshing to find a comedy that didn't rely on sex and shtick for laughs. And it was funny. But I'm afraid the movie will only appeal to those aged 18-30ish. It is unlike anything else I've seen before.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heartily endorse Napoleon Dynamite, particularly if you enjoyed NBC's short-lived series "Freaks and Geeks."  It gets bonus points for incorporating two of the best 80s songs ever -- "Forever Young" by Alphaville and "The Promise" by When In Rome.

jharrison

Reaction score
I've seen it three times now. You appreciate more with each viewing. But I'm afraid others in the audience got sick of me ing up just before every funny part.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads