• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mysterious object traveling 4x speed of light

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very interesting science article

Would love to hear your intelligent thoughts on the linked article.

a snippet:

"There is something strange in the cosmic neighbourhood. An unknown object in the nearby galaxy M82 has started sending out radio waves, and the emission does not look like anything seen anywhere in the universe before.

"We don't know what it is," says co-discoverer Tom Muxlow of Jodrell Bank Centre for Astrophysics near Macclesfield, UK."

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Doomsday 2012. It's coming for us!

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's not actually travelling at 4x the speed of light...

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're expecting out of us. I'm pretty sure there aren't any astrophysicists on this board, but maybe coldarchon will chime in if you're lucky.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hhgttg.jpg

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Anyway, I'm not sure what you're expecting out of us. I'm pretty sure there aren't any astrophysicists on this board,

But isn't that half the fun of internet message boards? Nobody's an expert, but everyone pretends to be, and vicious debates full of Wikipedia-linked "references" ensue in support of either side of whatever argument isn't eventually derailed by another one.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
But isn't that half the fun of internet message boards? Nobody's an expert, but everyone pretends to be, and vicious debates full of Wikipedia-linked "references" ensue in support of either side of whatever argument isn't eventually derailed by another one.

That doesn't sound like it came from an arrogant bastard. Grow a pair and assert yourself!

FLMountainMan

White Hispanic
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DNW
That doesn't sound like it came from an arrogant bastard. Grow a pair and assert yourself!

This. Your handle has been proven time and time again to be a misnomer. And this is coming from a guy named FloridaMountainMan who has thousands of posts on a men's fashion website.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FLMountainMan
Your handle has been proven time and time again to be a misnomer.

I am a man of contradictions, and I live to disappoint!

colgate.gif

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh this is just my boy ford from betelgeuse trying to catch a cab

Mr. White

Reaction score
What the scientists don't realize is that Chui the Janitor left the microwave on in the basement.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
eh, seems that the 4x*c quoted is a measurement that was distorted by relativity effects.

Happens to me all the time when I'm late to work and the freeway's open ahead.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Same relativistic / time dilation effects as covered in any intro particle physics course e.g. Muons. Don't know why this is news.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
Same relativistic / time dilation effects as covered in any intro particle physics course e.g. Muons. Don't know why this is news.

The reason it is news is because it is a constant signal, not a burst of radio waves like you'd normally get from celestial happenings

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads