• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Myfirst Mytailor - Please Evaluate

acctnyc

Reaction score
I received my first mytailor shirt a few weeks ago and have washed and worn it a few times so it would shrink. I am planning to see Joe again in a few weeks and order another couple shirts but need some insight as to what adjustments I should make.

I think the sleeves are a little too long, and the cuffs too loose. I also want the arms a little slimmer, not too much though. Does making the arm holes higher cause the sleeves to be slimmer?

Anyways, here are some pics. Please let me know what you think.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, to slimmer sleeves. I would actually do slimmer everywhere. Also, it appears that there is a difference between your right and left shoulder that the tailor failed to take into account. Is your right shoulder narrower than your left?

acctnyc

Reaction score
Are you serious about the shoulder? I've never heard of this, but fwiw, I am standing on a slight angle which may have distorted the picture.

As far as slimming the sleeves go, is this something raising the armholes will do? How much would I ask to get them raised?

coogie

Reaction score
the under shirt is not cool...

acctnyc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by coogie
the under shirt is not cool...

That reminds me, I think the buttons need to be made higher.

Anyways, I'd really like any additional input as I am going to be seeing Joe soon to order more shirts and could really use some tips to help make my next order (as well as the adjustments to this shirt) come out better.

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above comments.

To my eye, this shirt has been cut a little too broadly across the shoulders. The armhole seams shouldn't be riding so far down your arms. This is especially noticeable on your right shoulder in the first photo.

BBdude

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acctnyc
That reminds me, I think the buttons need to be made higher.

Anyways, I'd really like any additional input as I am going to be seeing Joe soon to order more shirts and could really use some tips to help make my next order (as well as the adjustments to this shirt) come out better.

Usually I try to wear v-neck undershirts so the undershirt can't be seen.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's the angle but looking at your right hip and shoulder it looks like your posture is a little odd and that perhaps you have a lower drop in your right shoulder, which would mean sleeve length would vary more right to left. (I have a very visible drop on one side).

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yes nmprisions is correct. you have a right low shoulder. and also a higher right hip.
this is a common occurrence. check your pictures.

acctnyc

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I will wear this shirt when I see Joe, so I can show him the adjustments that need to be made.

To recap, I'm going to ask for the following adjustments on my next order:
- higher buttons, to show less chest/undershirt
- correct right shoulder
- shorten sleeves/tighten cuffs
- slimmer arms and chest (possibly waist too?)
- higher armholes

Can someone tell me though what making the armholes higher will do? Will it slim the sleeves? Make the chest tighter? How do I know how high to ask for them?

PolePosition

Reaction score
Hopefully the OP will see this, but did Joe measure you the first time? Or did you self measure and are planning to goto him for a re-measure? Reason I'm asking is if he measured you the first time, shouldn't the shirt fit perfectly?

I just discovered mytailor.com and in two weeks one of his tailors will be coming to my hometown so I am definitely making an appointment with them. But I don't want to order a shirt and still have to get it re-tailored since that defeats the purpose of me going to them in the first place lol.

Also, is your shirt the "classic fit"? I wonder if "tapered fit" would have fixed the appearance of it being too loose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads