• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Tailor Threw Me Out

951socal

Reaction score
take it to a dry cleaner. id advise agaisnt this for higher end items but a dry cleaner could care less about rep they'd do the 22" thigh

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

22" thigh is understandable on a slim guy, I'm short and slim and have pants made with ~20" thigh, actual thigh 19".

I never though I, of all people, would say this, but I recommend you try eating something.

Don't let the overweight middle-aged jealousy get to you...

I weigh less than 60kg, was closer to 55kg before I started lifting heavy **** and eating a bit more. If I'm 'overweight' then 'normal' must look like a famine victim.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I heard a story once about an American woman in Tokyo who asked for sugar to go with her green tea. The restaurant refused her request. She insisted but got nowhere,

I've noticed this at a lot of "hip" eateries in Brooklyn these days. They refuse to not put tomatoes on my sandwich despite me telling them that they make me puke.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Try another tailor. It's like with plastical surgeons, if you spend enough money and time you will find that one surgeon that will give your wife those G cup implants.

stylemeup

Reaction score
Maintaining one's integrity is always far more important than pandering to someone for short-term gain. That goes for all professions and for life in general.

The tailor mentioned in the OP did well to refuse the request, presuming that his advice is sound.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There's one point you guys need to add to all this thoughtfulness. He wants the chinos to fit and have the same leg dimensions as his APC jeans. Jeans and chinos are cut differently so they can fit differently. Please take a look at the method used to cut jeans. It does not resemble other trouser cuts and that is why they fit as they do. The cottons used have different properties to them and will have a different fit. The way the seat and thigh is cut on a jean is best not duplicated when the cut of the other trouser is along more conventional lines. It's sort of a generational thing but some guys are wearing suits or tailored trousers and basing fit on jeans they have worn everyday of their life and don't grasp the difference in styling and fit of tailored clothing. I know it's only JCrew chinos and not Huntsman but the principle is the same.

Achilles_

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard a story once about an American woman in Tokyo who asked for sugar to go with her green tea. The restaurant refused her request. She insisted but got nowhere,

I've noticed this at a lot of "hip" eateries in Brooklyn these days. They refuse to not put tomatoes on my sandwich despite me telling them that they make me puke.

And you still pay for the food? I would not eat the food for one, then leave without paying (this is assuming they won't re-make it, if they have the capacity to do so)

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It is one thing if I am at Daniel making substitutions, but come on. Yes, I do doubt your renownd culinary ability when it comes to my Ethiopean sandwich.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's one point you guys need to add to all this thoughtfulness. He wants the chinos to fit and have the same leg dimensions as his APC jeans. Jeans and chinos are cut differently so they can fit differently. Please take a look at the method used to cut jeans. It does not resemble other trouser cuts and that is why they fit as they do. The cottons used have different properties to them and will have a different fit. The way the seat and thigh is cut on a jean is best not duplicated when the cut of the other trouser is along more conventional lines. It's sort of a generational thing but some guys are wearing suits or tailored trousers and basing fit on jeans they have worn everyday of their life and don't grasp the difference in styling and fit of tailored clothing. I know it's only JCrew chinos and not Huntsman but the principle is the same.

It has taken me years to understand this. I am beginning to get it. I blame the fashion media.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From the title of this thread, I thought perhaps the OP had had a dust-up with Joe Hemrajani of MyTailor.com fame or one of his itinerant tailors!

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I was once in a nice French restaurant which refused to comply with an order from an American customer for a Coke with his coq au vin.

Honestly, unless you use the precise inflection in French, they often can't tell between the two. They probably just thought he was asking for two for the price of one, which drives the French completely batty.

I would love to see this skit. I'm picturing Tom Arnold as the obnoxious American, and Depardieu as the waiter:

Arnold: And, uh, lemme have a coke with that cocovan.

Depardieu: Pardon?

A: A Coke. I want a Coke, get me a Coke with my cocovan.

D: You wish a coq along with your coq au vin, sir? Deux coq?

A: Not two Coke! A Coke, and a cocovan. One of each.

D: One of each sir? Un coq, et un coq au vin?

A: Yes! One of each! One Coke, and one cocovan!

D: And how would monsieur like his coq prepared?

A: In a glass! With ice!

D: With ice, monsieur?

A: Yes! With ice!

etc

Last edited:

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Change Patrick to Patricia. Start wearing womens slimmys and just get it over with. No alterations needed.
Welcome to Styleforum.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
This is one of the best posts in this entire thread. It is especially important for thin people (including me) to remember that there is such a thing as too skinny a trouser or jean; the other thing is that trousers are not jeans, as you said.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the replies — even the nasty ones. I'll have to dedicate some time to sort through them and respond.

Must say, I'm a bit disappointed to see so much J.Crew bashing and presumptuous attitudes with regards to money and the value-quality issue. I'm a poor student; J.Crew's not so bad, especially when compared to what the average student wears around here. I also don't get the logic of "wasting alterations on cheap clothes". Investing in alterations enables you to purchase less expensive clothing, rather than paying more for clothing solely for the cut. I suppose there's two sides to the argument. It's also kind of boring.

Cheers
How can you get J.crew chino in UK? Btw the true poor student don't even buy stuff.... Should have go for a pair of top man Regarding the quality issue, don't forget most people only buy top stuff, everyone in here will more or less demand a full canvassed suit. It is perfectly normal to buy J.crew chinos and get it tapered, but I guess the alternation cost is going to cost as much as your chinos People in here demand both perfection in quality and price, you are new here and I can understand

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads