1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

My Tailor Threw Me Out

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PtrckHmphrys, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Multi alterations for J Crew chinos??
    WTF....You SHOULD be banned!

2. wing8tes_qw

wing8tes_qw Senior member

made my morning :rotflmao:

3. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i trust a good tailor with 40 years of experience far more than i trust what I think will look good. The guy knows what he's talking about. The good thing about having a GOOD tailor is that he'll talk you out of making stupid decisions based on trends and "ideas"

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I kind of love el caminos. My father has one that looks like a bumble bee with a supercharger and a blower sticking out of the hood. Thing's got like 600 horsepower.

5. Samovar McGee

Samovar McGee Senior member

One time, I won a Valvoline go-cart from the local Wal-Mart. I tricked it out with a spoiler, LED undercarriage, and some sick rims. But when I took it down Route 9, the State Police stopped me, and told me it wasn't roadworthy. They gave me a huge fine, too! What kind of shit is that! :mad:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  6. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

That sucks man! On the bright side, your tailor hasn't thrown you out.

7. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Back to your measurements... 6.25" opening at the hem is nuts. My slimmest leg pants are 7.25". And they are SUPER slim. I can't even imagine an inch smaller. No wonder your tailor wouldn't make this alteration...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  8. wing8tes_qw

wing8tes_qw Senior member

maybe not street legal/dot approved components on it??

9. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

6.25 X 2 = 12.5"

7.25 X 2 = 14.5"

14.5" - 12.5" = 2'' smaller

1 person likes this.
  10. atlrus

atlrus Well-Known Member

Funny, I had the exact same experience once. I asked the tailor to slim the legs on a pair of pants, but he said it would look funny. The problem was that at the moment they looked like McHammer pants already, I dont see how they could possibly be any funnier. But I agreed wit the guy, walked out and never returned.

Went to another tailor and he not only agreed they MUST be fixed, but did an amazing job, too. He has been my go-to guy since. It turned out that it`s not only a time consuming procedure, but it requires a lot of skill, too.

11. ndsleep612

ndsleep612 Well-Known Member

well either being banned or "Off with his head!"

12. .Kurtz.

.Kurtz. Senior member

Ultra-tapered pants aren't for everybody. This including tailors.

13. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

Must have a small foot to fit. I have a client I make suits for. He is TINY and we use a 14" bottom and 15" knee. he has a size 5 1/2 foot.

14. blairh

blairh Senior member

Uh, pretty simple solution. Just take your pants to another tailor who will do the work you want. Don't visit the original tailor again if you are that upset. I think your original tailor was right to refute the work you wanted done because they felt it was a bad move. Tailor takes pride in their work and doing something that is against their judgment makes no sense for him. I bet he'd rather lose your business than do something against his inclination (and experience).

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  15. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

He probably didn't want to put the time in. The trouser wouldn't twist if he used both seams. I come very, very close these days to refusing to make suits with belt loops or centre vents. I did refuse to make a 30s style suit a few months back, I told him to give Paul Winston a call.

16. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I can relate as an artist, sometimes what a potential client will ask you to create might be something of foul or bad taste, and against your code. Situations like that i would gladly pass on, the client does eventually get what they want, but not necessarily from the same artist / tailor. Someone else will more likely pick up that project.

As far as tailors go, my local tailor is this very nice Russian lady, and she does great work. I will say that the first time i asked for a flat front (at most half a break), she was against the idea, we spoke of the subject briefly as i simply explained it was simply my taste. She gladly did the work and we were both happy with the transaction.