• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My second bespoke suit - Graham Browne review and beyond (add Base Fitting + Second Fitting)

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I came to the conclusion that I should have a Charcoal Grey suit in my wardrobe, after having a staple grey M&S fully canvass suit and a bespoke 3pc chalkstripe suit. At the beginning I was looking through various MTM program and ultimately end up having a order at Graham Browne, it is because I found their price very competitive to the HK bespoke makers, and it seems they are very liberal on fitting style and good range of fabrics.

1st meeting:

I went to the shop on the 29th February, It was around lunch time, and the shop helper 'Dan' had guide through the fabric selections and style, he was very helpful, not pushy and very willing to accommodate my needs, the initial purchase was very pleasant and I am already pleased. I can't wait for the first fitting to see how accurate they are with the measurements.

My specification (I had this in my mind so the filing was very quick):

The Blenheim Collection by J.J Minnis - super 130 with 16.8 micro wool (Dark Grey)
6x4 DB with 3.75 inches peaked lapel
Slightly roped shoulder, light padded and light canvass
Ticket + straight pocket
SB waistcoat with lapel, five buttons, four pockets
Straight fit trouser, side taps, braces buttons, 1.5 inches turn ups, single inward pleat
No back trouser pockets

The above specification, cost £1500 based on the fabric, pretty similar to Hong Kong

I will post some pictures after the 21st Feb, after my first fitting and tell you a bit more of the experiences
At the end of the purchase, I will compare between the fit of my bespoke suits and comment on the craftsmanship

Last edited:

Spong

Reaction score
I've had a jacket altered at Graham Browne on the recommendation of a friend and I was very pleased with the result.

I'd happily take other items back there to be altered and plan on doing just that later this year.

Good luck with the suit! Looking forward to seeing the finished result.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that Spong, I am thinking to get my M&S tailored, there is a couple of things that could be improved, how long did an alternation take?

In terms of handsewing, since the suit is bespoke made, yes to all the buttonholes and keyholes, stitches but I doubt the layering of canvass will be by hand, I do think the attachment of the canvass to the fabric would be by hand

In fact, I don't think they charge extra for any handwork otherwise they should have make this clear

Both keyholes working, left hand side will have a flower string
5 button cuffs, all working

I am thinking whether I should go for black horn or brown horn buttons

Last edited:

Spong

Reaction score

Thanks for that Spong, I am thinking to get my M&S tailored, there is a couple of things that could be improved, how long did an alternation take?
In terms of handsewing, since the suit is bespoke made, yes to all the buttonholes and keyholes, stitches but I doubt the layering of canvass will be by hand, I do think the attachment of the canvass to the fabric would be by hand
In fact, I don't think they charge extra for any handwork otherwise they should have make this clear
Both keyholes working, left hand side will have a flower string
5 button cuffs, all working
I am thinking whether I should go for black horn or brown horn buttons

Took about 10 working days. I had the jacket taken in a little and the sleeves shortened so it wasn't a huge amount of work.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Took about 10 working days. I had the jacket taken in a little and the sleeves shortened so it wasn't a huge amount of work.

Can you tell us about the God range of fabrics that Graham Browne offer?

Nice, I might bring my suit to let them have a look, There is a good amount to do on the back and the sides. wonder how much they will charge....

Hey Pat, their fabric choice are wide, The only brand I didn't spot is loro piana, that is really, they have huge harrison,J&J minnis, Holland & Sherry, Zegna ( didn't see 15 mil 15 or 17 mil 17), but really they have pretty much you need, didn't spot much Italian ones, they use the same lining book as the Savile Row tailors, the same book A&S would show to my dad where he would not give a damn, but I can't recall what it is called, probably cupro

I will ask them next time

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2nd fitting, the Base Fitting

On the 21st March, I went to the shop again for my first fitting. Mr Russell, my cutter helped me and guided me though the fundamental stuffs. I waited 20 mins for the waistcoat and jacket base to be completed. By the mean time, I got the shop to alternate my M&S Savile Row Inspired suit, which I intend to be used for the conservative meeting for the first impressions. The charged around £100, payable upon my second fitting. This included tapering the waist, cleaning the back, slimming sleeves, removing belt loops and adding braces buttons, Russell also ensured the extra side taps if there is enough fabric but that is not my main concern

Firstly, I was surprised with the absence of trouser, he told me this will be the next stage, I was not sure whether the English tailor were known to have this convention. Firstly, I tried on the waistcoat (Ignore the bad facial impression)

Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02627

Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02629

I found the waistcoat was pretty much prefect, with the clean back, we didn't put too much time on this, next the jacket

p.s. Both items had full canvass, the waistcoat's lapel will be cut and put on separately in the future stages

Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02632

Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02633

Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02637

Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02638

Firstly, the sleeves were attached, he pined down the extra parts, cut it off and worked on the shoulders carefully, I was very impress with the details and seeking to get the best out of the first meeting. Shoulder pads were slip under the jacket, It was a light pre cut one and I am happy with it, the shapes seems to balance with my shoulders and didn't result in uneven level front quarters.

We had agreed on slightly longer front and back, natural waist buttoning, 2.5 inches shoulder to lapel distance and sharp lapels (3.75 inches width). I had asked for a fishtail trousers as an amendment and hopefully he did put a note because it was a relatively busy day for him. Overall I think the first fitting had been great, very good fit and professional, I am convinced that they will make a good item

My next meeting will be 3rd April, I will again post some pictures and talk about the service and the garments.

The cloth I used:

Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02625

Few pictures from the shop:

Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02616
Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02617
Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02619
Flickr 上 CHA-KDSC02620

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Terrific report - many thanks for sharing! Suit looks to come along nicely. Can't say the same thing for your shoes and shirt though; better make sure not to wear those to that important first impression meeting. Mr. Russel's dress also leaves room for improvement.

Also, now that you shared these pictures, who's that in your avatar?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Terrific report - many thanks for sharing! Suit looks to come along nicely. Can't say the same thing for your shoes and shirt though; better make sure not to wear those to that important first impression meeting. Mr. Russel's dress also leaves room for improvement.
Also, now that you shared these pictures, who's that in your avatar?

the suit is fine, as to your other comments, how irrelevant, what nonsense.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pack those shirt, tie and shoes in my backpack, so it may not be the freshest thing

How come no love on the shirts? I can understand you might hate the tie combination because I just grab the tie without any thoughts to the fitting

ianGP

Reaction score
Subscribed! I'm excited for your final fitting!

As with the shirt, I do like the pattern but to me the collar is a wee bit tall, covering the full length of your neck. Do you have other shirts with shorter collars?

Last edited:

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Subscribed! I'm excited for your final fitting!
As with the shirt, I do like the pattern but to me the collar is a wee bit tall, covering the full length of your neck. Do you have other shirts with shorter collars?

Hey IanGP, I love your PL suits and your snazzy style

I do have some typical collar shirts, Most of my shirts are from M&S and Chester Barrie in House of Fraser

The shirt I worn to the fitting is a Hawkes & Curtis 'causal' style two button collar shirts, TBH I like high collars a lot, in the future I will had my shirts made in this kind of collar......

Russell did ask me whether I need the suit collar to be higher, I told him to keep the collar standard because this is just my type of thing....

Next time, I will take my M&S sartorial shirt for the fitting, I will post some pictures again after 3rd April

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This all looks excellent - I will be visiting Graham Browne in a couple of weeks to get my Dashing Tweeds number started... nice to see some DT pieces in the window!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads