• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New suit with alterations. Opinions please

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Thanks for the suggestions, I have looked on google at RLBL and half of GQ's photo shoots seem to favour them
biggrin.gif
They do however look very good, and a slimmer fit than this one.

It's funny you mention Kilgour - as I am a big fan of their look from the spring 09 runway, very cool.

I agree the pants should be taken up slightly, I will get that done this friday I think. The shoes are quite slim for a brogue, but a slimmer one would be better definitely. I have quite broad feet however, so once I have found a shoe that fits well, buy several pairs of it. I have 3 pairs of the one in the photo!

Thanks re suit colour, my new buys are 2 plain navy, one navy shadow stripe. I was going to go for a navy pinstripe as I like the colour so much (clearly
wink.gif
)

I find charcoal very hard, as most of the bad suits in England are charcoal, and therefore give me an impression of them being incredibly boring. I am sure great quality with some texture will change my mind, I will give that a try.

Thanks again

TDK

I like Navy as well, it's just very versatile, same goes with navy pinestripe/shadowstripe, but grey with texture (not tweed or anything) is something you should try as well. I always liked Kilgour, but never found a good case to buy it (the ones on sale was never my size).

As to shoes, I have a wide feet as well, which make it a pain ********** to buy any shoes. One brand's EE that consistently worked for me was Zegna Couture (XXX, but not the Sutor made ones). Ferragamo's EE always works out tighter than Zegna ones (thought they use the same factory). Another brand that makes wide feet is Testoni (I sometimes wear "G"), for other usual suspect like Santoni/Sutor/C&J (the longer last, like 348), I would usually need to size up and put a tounge insert, or just have to accept that last doesn't work for me...

By the way, if you're used to Gucci's fit on pants, then you will probably find RLBL looser than that (not on the waist, but leg opening). Personally I find that fits better, Gucci (or most designer, like Versace) can sometimes be too tight on the pants.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sander
Just one quick note: if you want to look professional and serious, I'd advise against "pocketsquare origami" like your tri-fold. Just a plain TV fold would serve your purposes a lot better.

haha, that'a new expression
rotflmao.gif

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
very well done!

For financial advising I personally would shy away from purple ties, everything else looks good once the pants are shortened.

As someone above mentioned a TV fold will look great in the PS.

I attend alot of Princeton, NJ chamber of commerce events, so I've met a whole host of financial advisors, real estate people, lawyers, ect. You can wear:

Navy Blazer (brown buttons) w/
Grey flannel pants
Grey pants
cream pants
tan pants

Green/brown tweeds

Navy/Charcoal/light grey solids, pinstripes, windowpanes and glen plaids.

None of the above would look questionable as long as you stick to light blue/white shirts, with barrel cuffs, mild pattern ties.

kannoos

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
very well done! For financial advising I personally would shy away from purple ties, everything else looks good once the pants are shortened. As someone above mentioned a TV fold will look great in the PS. I attend alot of Princeton, NJ chamber of commerce events, so I've met a whole host of financial advisors, real estate people, lawyers, ect. You can wear: Navy Blazer (brown buttons) w/ Grey flannel pants Grey pants cream pants tan pants Green/brown tweeds Navy/Charcoal/light grey solids, pinstripes, windowpanes and glen plaids. None of the above would look questionable as long as you stick to light blue/white shirts, with barrel cuffs, mild pattern ties.
TheDarkKnight is in England. Odd jackets and trousers (even navy blazers), tweeds, windowpane and glen plaid suits and possibly even light grey solids (except perhaps in the summer) would all probably be considered too informal or "country" for a financial advisor. Barrel cuffs are never required as double cuffs are pretty much ubiquitous.

Azure

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight
Hi,

The pants were shorter as being such a slim fit I wanted barely a break, but then lost my nerve, and had them taken down again
biggrin.gif
Perhaps 1/3 inch up

Thanks re the tie, yes it needs steaming I had it badly folded while travelling with work

What other designers would you recommend please Azure, in a similiar fit and style? Ideally I would have liked double vents. (my other suits being altered are Gucci too, however I will be being 1 -2 more in the next few weeks)

Is a recommendation of Ralph Lauren, I have seen some suits one the forum that already have the same cut as my Cornelianis ( or second label CC). It´s been told they are made by Caruso but I suspect they are Corneliani´s. Have a look!
cheers.gif

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assume you don't normally button the bottom button.

The suit looks good. Black is a bit harsh but it fits well. I would leave the trouser hem where it's at now.

You only asked about the suit but I don't like that tie at all and the knot needs work, up tighter and dimpled. I don't like the tie clip, especially the way it is perfectly level, and together with the fussy pocketsquare fold, looks too studied.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HomerJ
I assume you don't normally button the bottom button.

The suit looks good. Black is a bit harsh but it fits well. I would leave the trouser hem where it's at now.

You only asked about the suit but I don't like that tie at all and the knot needs work, up tighter and dimpled. I don't like the tie clip, especially the way it is perfectly level, and together with the fussy pocketsquare fold, looks too studied.

I like the tie quite alot, it is very hard to dimple unlike some of my other ties though.

I think you're right on the tie bar plus the 3 peak PS, there is too much going on. I will probably wear the tie bar with plain dark ties and a level PS only in future.

Thanks Bowtielover
smile.gif

I have called 'round today re Kilgour and RLBL and there are a few stockists quite close, which I will pursue. I'm pretty excited about Kilgour in particular

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 107 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 108 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads