• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My new Home Theater is open!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
negative 1-point from Jon. Think a bit more before typing.

After seeing your choice of pants colors, I hardly think you are sane enough to give a fair judgment, or to judge others.

As well, perhaps someone can point out to me where my actual error was in my response to Ed's post regarding the OP's post and orginal subject matter of the thread.

Jon.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik
I can count all of the people I've argued with, truly, on this board on one hand, of which you are the middle finger.

Ahhh!!! It took my breath away.

Nicely fuking done Sir.

prozach1576

Reaction score
Recently picked up a 50" Samsung DLP, Toshiba HD-A3, and Xbox 360...for my bedroom. It's amazing. Fortunately I already have a 5.1 setup leftover from my old 20" Tube/DVD/Xbox setup from years ago. My next planned purchase is an Onkyo receiver that does HDMI switching and new speakers.

HD DVD is just amazing. I was watching The Wild Bunch last night and was blown away by the clarity.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
After seeing your choice of pants colors, I hardly think you are sane enough to give a fair judgment, or to judge others.

As well, perhaps someone can point out to me where my actual error was in my response to Ed's post regarding the OP's post and orginal subject matter of the thread.

Jon.

go back to obsessing about important things like pattern matching.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by prozach1576
Recently picked up a 50" Samsung DLP, Toshiba HD-A3, and Xbox 360...for my bedroom. It's amazing. Fortunately I already have a 5.1 setup leftover from my old 20" Tube/DVD/Xbox setup from years ago. My next planned purchase is an Onkyo receiver that does HDMI switching and new speakers.

HD DVD is just amazing. I was watching The Wild Bunch last night and was blown away by the clarity.

Did you have a professional calibrate the TV or did you do it yourself?

Jon.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One must learn that, when it comes to arguing with Jon, his comebacks will always be derivatives of grade-school "Your momma!" ****. Guess they don't teach creativity down in sunny ol' Florida!

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
One must learn that, when it comes to arguing with Jon, his comebacks will always be derivatives of grade-school "Your momma!" ****. Guess they don't teach creativity down in sunny ol' Florida!

Oftentimes, in order to try to explain my point of view to certain members of this forum I am forced to lower myself to their level.

Anyways, when compared to your blithering drunken posts, mine read like the writings of Cicero; unless of course, you count the posts regarding your inability to uproot yourself from a bad housing situation as "˜creative'.

Jon.

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
Sorry to disappoint you but its just a saddle holder. We have a dressage horse.

That is too bad. The Sybian is a fine piece of equipment.

Originally Posted by RJman
I don't see any books in it.

I am sure that he keeps the Bjorn Lomborg books next to the bed. Give the poor guy a break, it is hard to build much of a book collection when you are constantly lobbying to have the classics burned for being impure.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Jeez, what a tough crowd here...

If that room is the size that I think it is, the 50" (which is what he has) A3000 should be ample. As stated, a 2.0 would be nice - I've gotta admit, I expected more in the audio department as well given that you have Magnepans.
wink.gif
A part of the HD experience, which I'm not taking advantage of either because I can't afford the rest of my setup currently, is the sound. If you're going to deem this a home theatre, you gotta do something about that.

The video quality is phenomenal on this thing isn't it? Do you have geometry issues, because I do; unfortunately, I had a friend buy it from Best Buy for me so I can't really complain. I'll be getting an ISF calibrator out in the next couple months, perhaps after I've bought the audio setup.

Congrats on the TV.

It is a Sony KDS50A3000, the 50" set (room is small so 60" would have been too big) that uses Liquid Crystal on Silicon technology. It's one of the best RPTVs you can buy and currently recommended by most of the better video mags.

Source material is via BluRay from Samsung BDP 1400 (+upconverted DVD) and DVD from a Pioneer Elite DV05, one of the better DVD players of its day. I have an RCA DirectTV receiver which is about to get a big upgrade to HD DirectTV.

I have a stereo listening room as you know and I probably spent around $8K on analog gear and records/CDs/SACDs this year so far so excuuuuuse me if I don't yet have the surround system of my dreams.

Older built-in TV stereos have crap sound quality but this TV has great sound from the speakers across the front and it has a front surround simulation mode called SForce Surround. It's fine for now.
bigstar[1].gif

Magnepan is about to unveil some new wall speakers (at CES in January) you can hang and they may likely find a place in my home at some point.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Agreed. I may get an HD-DVD player soon as well. The Toshiba players are very nice. Pick up Seabiscuit on HD-DVD, it's a great film.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think some posters object to the descriptor "home theater," which implies a 5.1 surround-sound system at the very least. Perhaps "media room" would be more accurate.
teacha.gif

You really need to hook up a Wii to that TV.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F, I think you misunderstand my post. I have a 60" of the same television, and yes, I know what LCoS/SXRD is.
wink.gif
My question was how your geometry are in the top right and left corners of the television. Mine bow in about 2 degrees from about 1/3 down the length of the television. This is intrinsic to the display tech but not all TVs show it this much. Many on AVS have gone through 2-3 TVs before they were satisfied. For reference, the Wii looks good on the 60" but as expected, the PS3 blows it out of the water.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
AF, I think you misunderstand my post. I have a 60" of the same television, and yes, I know what LCoS/SXRD is.
wink.gif
My question was how your geometry are in the top right and left corners of the television. Mine bow in about 2 degrees from about 1/3 down the length of the television. This is intrinsic to the display tech but not all TVs show it this much. Many on AVS have gone through 2-3 TVs before they were satisfied.

For reference, the Wii looks good on the 60" but as expected, the PS3 blows it out of the water.

I have not noticed any geometry issues so far. Image looks consistent across the screen. The top and bottom lines look very straight to me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads