• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My First Suit! Critiques Welcome. Indochino...

fujface

Reaction score
I took the plunge and got the 3-piece charcoal suit from Indochino. Overall, not a bad first effort I think. With the last sale they had it ended up being $300.

My notes:
-Jacket sleeves need to be shortened a bit.
-Pants too, maybe.
-I'm not sure if the vest is right. When I tighten the waist on it, the bottom sorta flares out.
-Jacket chest might be a bit big or something - there's a bit of space between my chest and the lapel when buttoned.
-Maybe suppress the waist a bit?

I get a $75 credit for alterations, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on how this can be improved.

33uritv.jpg

2zqxzbl.jpg

kbodah.jpg

6dxq2c.jpg

2lxawio.jpg

ejg1mo.jpg

25ozym9.jpg

oibyxf.jpg

2hf6hjn.jpg

*As a side note, can one ever wear a vest and collared shirt with no tie, or would the collar look funny, being open and all?

CHECKstar

Reaction score
First thing that stood out to me was that we should not be able to see your belt when you are wearing the wait coat...

Harrydog

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
First thing that stood out to me was that we should not be able to see your belt when you are wearing the wait coat...

Agreed. The vest looks too short.

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar

not really fixable but no one in real life will care anyway.

fujface

Reaction score
Hm... I have a habit of wearing my pants a bit low on my waist. Thanks for the tip though, that's good to know.

Omar1223

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cut the temporary seams that are joining the vents and take some pictures.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. I would take some material from the back so that there is less creasing. But that's entirely optional.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good first suit.

As for the belt issue, you could always have a tailor put in tabs on the side. My pants fit close enough that I never wear a belt anyways. I don't like the added heft of a belt anyways.

Take 1/4" up on the sleeves to show a little cuff. The cuff on that shirt looks a little large. What I do is just use a bobby pin in back to cinch it closed.

Not a fan of the tie. Get a slim repp tie and you'll be good to go.

elliottw

Reaction score
isn't the point of a waist coat to hide the braces? some might say you should never see a belt under a waistcoat because you shouldn't be wearing a belt with a waistcoast.

otherwise, i think this is one of the better fits for an online MTM suit, but the pics are a bit fuzzy.

Eight

Reaction score
Comparing the pants in the pics makes some of them stand out for being too long, whereas other pics are fine (the first two). Maybe you aren't wearing the trousers at the same height?

It could also fix the belt issue...

Try wearing the pants higher, is my suggestion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads