• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

{My First Post} Harris Tweed: Gray vs. Brown

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tristan.sf
Now, my second question is, will I look like an old man, wearing Harris Tweed when I'm only sixteen years old?
laugh.gif

At 21 I have the same issue. What ever you get make sure it fits well and then have it tailored. If you want inspiration then check out Jack Wills, their business is super-prep for 15 year olds!

Have a good amount of waist suppression put in by a decent tailor and you should look ok. It only gets to be old-manish if you wear a bowtie and braces with it. Only Dr Who can pull that one off.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know, the three you linked have dramatically different measurements. Might want to check what your measurements are before you bid.

HHD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Blackhood

Have a good amount of waist suppression put in by a decent tailor and you should look ok. It only gets to be old-manish if you wear a bowtie and braces with it. Only Dr Who can pull that one off.

Good point regarding what to wear with a tweed jacket if you're young. Whatever anyone here might tell you, don't get a pair of grey flannels or pleated corduroys or you will indeed look old-manish. Wear the jacket with your usual stuff.

ysc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Get brown, your instinct about getting a simpler patterned tweed is a good one I think. Louder patterns can be harder to pull of when you are young. Make sure it is trim fitting and in a youthful cut (on the shorter side, without massive lapels), wear it with dark denim, converse or boots.

Tristan.sf

Reaction score
Well, I wasn't completely serious when I said that; if anyone would feel awkward from the way I dress, that's their problem. Overdressing at any time can be a little odd in retrospective, though, like the time I wore shell cordovan to a science class.
Originally Posted by EZETHATSME
You might send member TC (Houston) a note about this. He'll be glad to answer. EZ
That looks nice; thanks for the suggestions.
Originally Posted by HHD
Tweed + vintage + youthfulness is very cool. Try not to get a jacket that is too 80s/90s in a boxy style, instead look out for the 60s-70s cuts. Matt Smith looks good in Harris Tweed in Doctor Who; the UK's high street shop Top Man has a very nice skinny Harris Tweed collection: http://www.topman.com/webapp/wcs/sto...=1&pageSize=20 Also worth looking at - if only for inspiration because of the prices - is London tailor/designer E Tautz, where vintage Harris Tweeds have been given a more modernist styling.
Yes, I'm excited to go to a tailor for the very first time, the fit of clothing is very important.
Originally Posted by Blackhood
At 21 I have the same issue. What ever you get make sure it fits well and then have it tailored. If you want inspiration then check out Jack Wills, their business is super-prep for 15 year olds! Have a good amount of waist suppression put in by a decent tailor and you should look ok. It only gets to be old-manish if you wear a bowtie and braces with it. Only Dr Who can pull that one off.
I've taken some measurements, so I have a general idea of what I'm looking for.
Originally Posted by chasingred
Just to let you know, the three you linked have dramatically different measurements. Might want to check what your measurements are before you bid.
But, but, but, grey flannel trousers were exactly what I had in mind; they'd go perfectly with my Alden brogues.
uhoh.gif
I actually don't own any wool trousers in gray [yet], but I want to get some; I'll just wear denim, or some chinos for now.
Originally Posted by HHD
Good point regarding what to wear with a tweed jacket if you're young. Whatever anyone here might tell you, don't get a pair of grey flannels or pleated corduroys or you will indeed look old-manish. Wear the jacket with your usual stuff.
The sport coat From everything I've read on this forum, the most important point of fit is the shoulders, so, I've payed particular attention to that when looking for sport coats, in addition to other measurements, of course. Oh, and the length is just enough to cover my bum, which is good, I guess..
plain.gif
Originally Posted by ysc
Get brown, your instinct about getting a simpler patterned tweed is a good one I think. Louder patterns can be harder to pull of when you are young. Make sure it is trim fitting and in a youthful cut (on the shorter side, without massive lapels), wear it with dark denim, converse or boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics