• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My career...

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pharma sales could be huge money if you're good at it. You're already in the industry....

Style Pyle

Reaction score
No. I have not. And I don't exactly know what that would entail? Any info? Links?

Warren G.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you good looking?

Style Pyle

Reaction score
I would say moderately. I would never grace the cover of a magazine but I have had my fair share of compliments

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DO NOT get into Pharma Sales. Its nothing better than being a car salesman. Maybe even worse. Physicians treat sales reps like dirt. Morality is extremely low among reps and merit means nothing.

I would suggest that you work 2, 3 years in the lab as a researcher. Then apply for an MBA and transition into a business job.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by calisanfran
DO NOT get into Pharma Sales. Its nothing better than being a car salesman. Maybe even worse. Physicians treat sales reps like dirt. Morality is extremely low among reps and merit means nothing.

yeah because the business world is a pure meritocracy with strict emphasis on having great morals

Style Pyle

Reaction score
Pharm sales is difficult to break into right now. I'm trying to show my interest as I feel that would carry more weight on a resume if applying to B-school than say, doing work in a lab. I'm sure a PhD would hold weight, but I don't think I have it in me to do that kind of research for another 4+ years.

I'm still open to suggestions. This world is an exciting place. So much opportunity, so many hard choices.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oman
yeah because the business world is a pure meritocracy with strict emphasis on having great morals

When did I make that claim? As someone who has spent 10+ years in the pharma / biotech industry, I think I know a bit about what being a pharma sales rep entails. Do you have a differing opinion?

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did I make that claim? As someone who has spent 10+ years in the pharma / biotech industry, I think I know a bit about what being a pharma sales rep entails. Do you have a differing opinion?

I did it for 6 years (up until this year) and I didn't find that at all. I think it really depends on the company.

Style Pyle

Reaction score
Did you enjoy it? why did you get out? (if you don't mind me asking)

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Style Pyle
Did you enjoy it? why did you get out? (if you don't mind me asking)

I enjoyed it though I found that I was stagnating since the company wasn't growing. In fact like most now it started contracting so I lost my job.

calisanfran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
I did it for 6 years (up until this year) and I didn't find that at all. I think it really depends on the company.

Fair enough. I am sure some people like being a pharma sales rep. Not my cup of tea though. You just have to browse cafepharma for 15 mins to get a feel for what the majority of folks feel about their profession.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. I am sure some people like being a pharma sales rep. Not my cup of tea though. You just have to browse cafepharma for 15 mins to get a feel for what the majority of folks feel about their profession.

most people are whiners.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads