My Baroni Suit: First Impressions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Lawman, Aug 12, 2008.

1. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

Yeah, tell us how the "slimmer" suit fits?
    Pics?
    I can not do low armholes.

2. NukeMeSlowly

NukeMeSlowly Senior member

3. Jack2000

Jack2000 Senior member

How's the fit of the Valentino's? Are they still big or do they really fit a slimmer profile?

its slimmer than the baroni which I ordered initially, but it still required tailoring.

4. NukeMeSlowly

NukeMeSlowly Senior member

Can anyone report on the Baroni and/or Valentino armholes? Anyone?

5. GBR

GBR Senior member

Why is a lawyer buying second hand or is the name an exaggeration?

Treat Gilchrist with reserve: He has some successful websites (and earners) but he is not an expert.

I've wanted a peak lapel single breasted suit for some time. Given the quality of suits I've grown used to buy purchasisng on Ebay, I simply am not ready to pay the MTM freight for an Oxxford or Hickey peak lapel item. So, I decided to take a leap of faith and purchase a solid navy peak lapel Baroni from ebay seller, the Wizard of Ahhhs.

The Baroni suits received a favorable review from Andy Gilchrist on AAAC, so I figured what the heck. The suit arrived yesterday, and I am really, really happy with it. The fabric (solid navy
    150s) seems quite nice. The stitching looks unremarkable but solid. There is clearly canvas interlining running from the lapels down through the level of the bottom button. The lapels are nicely shaped and have some pretty nice looking pick stitching.

I purchased a 48L, which is my size in Oxxford and HF (this is mostly what I have hanging in my closet). It is a touch large, and will need some tailoring, especially waist suppression.

Viewed in a mirror, it looked to me like a high end suit. It did not look like a Joseph A. Bank level suit at all, with the caveat that I have never tried on a Signature Gold jacket.

After I get it tailored I would be happy to post pics if anyone is interested. Overall, I can't see how this can turn out to be a bad investment of $250.00.

6. erdawe

erdawe Senior member

Treat Gilchrist with reserve: He has some successful websites (and earners) but he is not an expert.

If he does, I assume it perfectly safe to assume his ability to practice is devalued?

7. dclloyd

dclloyd Senior member

Why not? You don't gain wealth by throwing money away ... if you can find a decent second hand suit that fits you well, does it really matter?

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

The Wizard of Aahs sells new-with-tags suits, not second-hand suits.

Having said that, though, I've never bought from him so I can't comment on the quality of Baroni or Marco Valentino suits. They do look nice in the auction pictures.

9. bdbb

bdbb Senior member

Why not? You don't gain wealth by throwing money away ... if you can find a decent second hand suit that fits you well, does it really matter?

Absolutely correct. Starting salaries are 160k right now and even then I feel like $2-4k on a quality suit is a huge waste when I can get the same often near indistinguishable from a new suit for $200-$500. And when I resell that suit, I'll get most of that money back, whereas on a new suit you take a massive hit.

It's not really about being able to "afford" the cost of a new suit, it's that even if you make a lot of money, just throwing it away means you can't retire early or have as nice of a house.

10. Lawman

Lawman Senior member

Exaggeration? Was that directed to me? I'm so confused.

Not that it makes any difference, but I am a lawyer, and have been for a good long while. I took a flyer on a suit that I had read about, and figured I could not go wrong for $250.00. The post was a PSA for those who shared my curiosity about these suits.

The guy I used to work for has made about $30 million in the last five years, and he wears Joseph A. Bank suits and Bass rubber soled wingtips. If you're suggesting that there is some kind of relationship between someone's taste in clothes and his professional abilities, or even his financial standing for that matter, I really have to question your intelligence.

That being said, I have purchased a number of very nice suits second hand from reliable sellers on Ebay, and count some of them among my favorites. And good Lord, I don't do it because I can't afford new ones.

Man, there's one in every crowd.

11. meister

meister Senior member

Not that it makes any difference, but I am a lawyer, and have been for a good long while. I took a flyer on a suit that I had read about, and figured I could not go wrong for $250.00. The post was a PSA for those who shared my curiosity about these suits.

The guy I used to work for has made about $30 million in the last five years, and he wears Joseph A. Bank suits and Bass rubber soled wingtips. If you're suggesting that there is some kind of relationship between someone's taste in clothes and his professional abilities, or even his financial standing for that matter, I really have to question your intelligence.

That being said, I have purchased a number of very nice suits second hand from reliable sellers on Ebay, and count some of them among my favorites. And good Lord, I don't do it because I can't afford new ones.

You got it Lawman. I bought a beautiful Corneliani suit from a SFer second hand in my own short size and get nothing but compliments all day as I look like a $200K a year man in it. I could afford a new one but "I'm laughing all the way to the bank" especially Down Under which is total rip off area for O/S clothes.

12. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Senior member

+1

13. lifersfc

lifersfc Senior member

I have the Marco Valentino tuxedo. It fits slimmer, and the arm holes are medium-sized (not too low or too high) which is actually a good thing for me. The lapels are great and the jacket is clearly canvassed.

I find it to be a good value, but the construction does not stack up to other top makers I own (Isaia, Corneliani, Zegna). The trousers, in particular, are a bit on the weaker side. The clasp and waistband just don't quite get it done (but then I'm comparing to trousers like Incotex).

Assuming you can get the fit down, I would recommend buying...but do not expect miracles.

14. Shikar

Shikar Senior member

+1
    I am no high paid lawyer but boy do i love a good deal. Heck, now that i think about maybe i love a good deal cos i am no high paid lawyer![​IMG]

Regards.

15. mdg137

mdg137 Senior member

"Absolutely correct. Starting salaries are 160k right now ..."

wow-- starting salaries for attorneys not in their own private practice in these parts is on the low end, around 40k, and on the high end, around 90-110k...

If I could start at 160, Id start over from scratch!