• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My back hurts so f**king bad

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Butter
Worst cast scenario: try Acupuncture.

I had severe lower back pain, tried chiro, tried kinesiologist, nothing worked. On top of that, I hated needles.

Eventually I was just like "eff that, I'll try anything" and ended up trying acupuncture which reduced the pain by about 50% just on the first session.

I came back every day (ended up costing quite a bit) for a month and now my back's almost back to normal.

Back still hurts. The pain is a little softer and less debilitating than before so that gives me hope that it will eventually go away.

Doing cardio and very light back extensions seems to help, as well as stretching (I've been doing a ton). No more squats, but I'm doing lunges and bench presses as I've heard it's best to keep up your daily routine so long as it doesn't hurt.

I tried playing Futsal again but it just hurts too much to continue that.

Anyway, quoting this post because the doc I went in to gave me a massage and without giving me much of a choice started doing accupuncture on my back. Can't say it really hurts, but sadly not much help that I can tell.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
******** mine doing squats on Tuesday. I know it was that because as I was coming up I felt the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I racked the bar and then proceeded to lay down on the floor of the gym. I iced it, took it easy, and took Amrix and 5 days later I'm just about normal.

blackjack

Reaction score
If you are okay with the idea of chiropractic treatment plus massage (I know there are some who will tell you to avoid it all costs), then I might recommend this place in Central Tokyo very close to Iidabashi Station (JR Sobu, Tozai, Namboku & Yurakucho lines):

http://www.i-chiro.net/
-------the google translated site, if you don't read Japanese

The pricing is extremely reasonable (even more so if you use NHI or its corporate equivalent) and the treatments work (at least for me). If you don't speak Japanese, I'd definitely bring along a friend who does so they can properly explain everything to you the first time.

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Anyway, quoting this post because the doc I went in to gave me a massage and without giving me much of a choice started doing accupuncture on my back. Can't say it really hurts, but sadly not much help that I can tell.

How many acupuncture sessions have you done? normally by the 3rd or 4th one there is a pretty noticeable difference. I had 6 sessions and my pretty chronic headaches are just about all gone. I moved to a new city, or I would have continued going.

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Listen man, your back is the most important organ in your body, ok? You gotta treat it better than that. Come on, ya dummy! If I hear that you're not treating your back right, I'm going to be very sad.

For your health!

Stedye

Reaction score
Two more future options should you have reccurent pain: Acupunture can have great effectiveness and also consider Massage Therapy(Professionally trained masseuse).
Both have been effective for me through the years,

Stedye

Reaction score
Acupucture and Massage threrapy(Profssional masseuse) are two other healing modalities I would
suggest shoul you have the pain recur.

kever

Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has suggested this yet, but try yoga. I've thrown my back out numerous times with front squats, cleans and back squats, and yoga has been the best thing by far that I've ever done to fix it. If the injury is fresh, and something feels out of place, I'll go to the chiropractor. If it just feels muscular, rest for a week or two then start doing a flow yoga class once or twice a week. The combination of stretching and core strengthening does amazing things. I was hugely skeptical when my girlfriend suggested it, but I'm extremely glad I gave it a try.

Try a class or two. I'm pretty positive it'll help you get rid of the pain, and its great for maintaining a strong back in the future.

Butter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylish Pilot
How many acupuncture sessions have you done? normally by the 3rd or 4th one there is a pretty noticeable difference. I had 6 sessions and my pretty chronic headaches are just about all gone. I moved to a new city, or I would have continued going.

Yea, it's not a silver bullet. You need several sessions. There are other thing some of them might do, like these heated suction cups.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
******** mine doing squats on Tuesday. I know it was that because as I was coming up I felt the worst pain I've ever felt in my life. I racked the bar and then proceeded to lay down on the floor of the gym. I iced it, took it easy, and took Amrix and 5 days later I'm just about normal.
You lucky sombitch. I actually had to debate whether it was worth the pain to lean up and type this reply. And this has been going on for like two or even three months now. Sigh... Japanese IB Profein doesn't seem to help the pain at all. I take 2 of em and literally cannot feel a difference in any time of the day in terms of pain. Blackjack, I'll consider going there.. I can speak Jpnese pretty well so shouldn't have too much trouble explaining the problem.

angry robot

Reaction score
i messed up my lower back pretty bad a few years ago. i could barely walk, and any exertion involved brutal pain. my doctor recommended stretching and sit-ups, as (which others have alluded to) the muscles are all connected in your lower torso. i followed his advice for a bit, mostly half-assing it and it slowly got better. the pain eventually became minimal, and i just dealt with it being there all the time.

my local cyclocross season began yesterday, and, in preparation, two weeks ago i began taking my back pain seriously. every day i spend about 20 minutes stretching and i do 50 sit-ups/crunches. yesterday i raced pain free for the first time ever (in my back, anyway. lungs are another story).

it's silly how long i took to start working on my back, but i'm so glad i did. i still have back pain but it's getting better and better; the results are very encouraging.

AndyMcL

Reaction score
A couple years back I started having slight back pains. I of course ignored it, took some IB profen and continued on my way. After a few months of them coming and going I finally went to see a chiropractor. He took some X-Rays and it turned out a had a bilateral stress fracture in my back. He theorized that it was congenital in nature (when I was born my L5 vertebrae didn't fuse correctly and running/rowing knocked it out of alignment). He adjusted my back a few times, I took a break from weight lifting, rowing and running and it began to heal. After a month or so he prescribed some stretches, and a little after that some ab exercises (planks and bridges mostly). The bones will never fully heal, but I've gone for long stretches with little to no pain and have resumed all activities.

When it does flare up slightly (after heavy weights or a tough row) I make sure to use a hot back, stretch it out, and then ice it and take 3 or 4 ibprofen. Fish oil is a good supplement to take, and it helps to calm down inflammation in your body. I also try to stretch it out every night before I go to bed and do a plank and some bridges. Every once in a while I have to go see a chiropractor to get it adjusted.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Yea I probably havent given myself enough time for recovery. I have definitely given at least a week though. Probably 1.5 weeks at a time of just rest w/ no soccer or weight lifting.

I'll go get an MRI then. I have some time to kill so I'll go to a bigger hospital instead of just a sports clinic.

Hard to give yourself a break when you have teammates always saying "just take some ibuprofein and come."

Stuff that seems to make it feel better are hot baths and massages.

Do you think low impact excercise, like jogging or eliptical machines will help?

I have almost no experience with sports injuries of any kind. I did go for a long time (over a month) without weight lifting and went straight to 5x5 squat above my body weight - a pitiful amount comparitively but I'm not as serious a lifter as many.

I took some possibly bad advice by doing good mornings and back extensions to try and strengthen that area, but that may have helped more than it hurt.

Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^Actually I think icing is a better solution.

Sounds like you're already onto this, but low impact exercise to loosen up your muscles, then lots of stretching. Alternatively, or in addition, heat to loosen and stimulate blood flow, stretching, then ice to reduce inflammation. Plus ibuprofin.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads