• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr B's Blake boots vs Grenson Sharp/Fred

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Part of the problem is I'm Canadian, eh. Many of those brands don't make it up here, and the ones I would want (like Florsheim) include outrageous shipping charges (like $40).

Can anyone point me to an aggregate list of the various makers/brands as organized by quality (if such a thing exists) ?

Meh I'd put florsheim and J&M at the same level, and cole haan just barely above them.

erikl

Reaction score
Can early purchasers of these shoes chime in with updates on durability? I purchased a pair today from an Aldo store, got home and upon closer inspection noticed that stitching across a portion of the forefoot on one shoe was totally obliterated (not sure what would've caused this, maybe the antiquing?). Anyways, not a great indicator of things to come but hopefully this was an aberration.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mine are holding up fine. Had them probably 4 months, worn probably a dozen times. No issues really

Reaction score
Just purchased a pair of these online, though I think I'd be more pleased with AE Dalton seconds for $150 if those ever go on sale again at that price... I can always return these at a local Aldo store if I am dissatisfied with them.

The Dark Brown color is on sale for $139.98 on the Aldo website (sizes 7-13), and there's a 10% coupon good until March 15: LUCKYU31511

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just purchased a pair of these online, though I think I'd be more pleased with AE Dalton seconds for $150 if those ever go on sale again at that price...  I can always return these at a local Aldo store if I am dissatisfied with them.

The Dark Brown color is on sale for $139.98 on the Aldo website (sizes 7-13), and there's a 10% coupon good until March 15: LUCKYU31511

Not a bad price. But like you said AE would give you more satisfaction.I also have my eyes on AE Dalton. Waiting for Nordstrom sale.

chet31

Reaction score

Can early purchasers of these shoes chime in with updates on durability? I purchased a pair today from an Aldo store, got home and upon closer inspection noticed that stitching across a portion of the forefoot on one shoe was totally obliterated (not sure what would've caused this, maybe the antiquing?). Anyways, not a great indicator of things to come but hopefully this was an aberration.

I've had my Mr. B's Blakes since October, worn them often through the Wisconsin winter (albeit a mild one without much snow), violated the consecutive days rule several times. Thus far they appear bulletproof. They are heavy but comfortable. My most complimented item, they look great w/ jeans. I would pick an AE shoe over a Mr. B's shoe all day long, they just don't offer this particular look.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Can someone who has seen them in person compare the Dark Brown with the Cognac? The brown is on sale, but I'd lean towards the cognac in general.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its been a while now, but I own the dark brown and saw the cognac in the store. The cognac seems very yellow to me and I didn't care for the antiquing on the front. I think the dark brown is more versatile. Also, the dark brown takes a fairly nice shine. I did, and still would, pick the dark brown.

Mine also seem to be very sturdy. The sole is hardly wearing at all and the leather looks ok. Its not a super high quality product, but its been fine for its cost and general purpose.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Its been a while now, but I own the dark brown and saw the cognac in the store. The cognac seems very yellow to me and I didn't care for the antiquing on the front. I think the dark brown is more versatile. Also, the dark brown takes a fairly nice shine. I did, and still would, pick the dark brown.

Thanks.

chet31

Reaction score
I strongly preferred the cognac, more pop under a pair of jeans, purely subjective of course.

Bizl

Reaction score
Don't want to bring up a dead thread but I just picked up a slightly used pair of these boots in the cognac color on ebay. For those interested in getting them, they do indeed fit quite large. I would say about 1.5 sizes larger than the stated size. They may not be as nice as higher end boots of this design but they certainly are worth picking up for the price, especially if you can get a deal on used ones like I did at $110.00 shipped.

bringatowel

Reaction score
Don't want to bring up a dead thread but I just picked up a slightly used pair of these boots in the cognac color on ebay. For those interested in getting them, they do indeed fit quite large. I would say about 1.5 sizes larger than the stated size. They may not be as nice as higher end boots of this design but they certainly are worth picking up for the price, especially if you can get a deal on used ones like I did at $110.00 shipped.
What did you search on ebay to find them? I couldn't find a single seller on ebay with these boots

pnin22

Reaction score
on sale at Aldo, online and outlet stores in US/Canada for $109, all colors except cognac :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads